RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   High sun? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17927)

spacetrain1983 05-04-2017 12:04 AM

High sun?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...84&key=1265089
Last Saturday, 4/29, I took this photo. It got rejected for high sun.

I'm not so sure, seeing as the lead locomotive's underframe is lit up. What do you think?

P.S. The only editing I did to the photo was some cropping and brightening. Perhaps I over-brightened.

conrail1990 05-04-2017 01:30 AM

The shadows indicate the sun is still in a high position.

Joseph Cermak 05-04-2017 03:22 AM

Even if it is not truly a "high sun" scenario, the photo looks very harsh and even washed out. Maybe this could be fixed up a bit, but you'd need real photo software to give it a try (lightroom, photoshop).

Certainly a big improvement in composition, etc as i have seen from your other forum posts on that though.

troy12n 05-04-2017 11:49 AM

Shadows on the pilot, radiators, and the top of the rail is a dead giveaway for high sun. Not that great composition though. I would let it go. Needs more contrast too.

RobJor 05-04-2017 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The other comments are probably right with the shadows, but think you can give it a chance as commented with better editing , as it was it looked very dull.

Bob

JimThias 05-04-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 191169)
The other comments are probably right with the shadows, but think you can give it a chance as commented with better editing , as it was it looked very dull.

Bob

Whoa there, partner, I'm going to need my sunglasses for that! :lol: While the OP's processing isn't that great, the colors in his shot look a lot more natural than what you came up with.

KevinM 05-04-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 191172)
Whoa there, partner, I'm going to need my sunglasses for that! :lol: While the OP's processing isn't that great, the colors in his shot look a lot more natural than what you came up with.

Right Jim. Something in between is what is really needed. The original image was pretty dull. I don't have a histogram available on this computer, but I am pretty convinced that I wouldn't like what I see. It is no wonder that it got the high-sun hook from the RP Staff. Bob's attempt at making it pop perhaps went a bit too far. :D

I think that with proper raw processing, it might just pass muster. To avoid a cropping rejection, I would also clip some off the bottom and the top. If this were mine, I would go with a 3:5 crop....and yes, they do take that. I use it a lot.

RobJor 05-04-2017 06:45 PM

Well sunglasses on a bright sunny day are probably a good thing. Mine was a quick example of what could be done to get better exposure and color. The intent was that the grass is green(it is now in Illinois but Idaho?) but I didn't even get that far; and the UP color would be yellow instead of yellow/brown. Mine could be too far and the vibrance reduced but my feeling is if you were not looking at the original and then mine then my version would not jump out so much, I have compared it now to others in the DB.

Bob

cprted 05-05-2017 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like that perhaps?

miningcamper1 05-06-2017 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
An attempt to reduce the harshness while enhancing the colors:

KevinM 05-06-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cprted (Post 191177)
Something like that perhaps?

Ouch! Too much contrast.

KevinM 05-06-2017 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a quick crack at it in Lightroom. Attempting to improve on people's rejections can be addictive. :lol: Here's my quickie edit, including a re-crop. Yes, it's a high sun shot and always will be, but I think it can be made to look decent. My goal with the adjustments was to brighten it up without sending the train to Candyland.

I noted that this was shot at 1/800th, f/4.4 and ISO 80. I might have been at 1/640th or 1/800th at f/8 and ISO 200. The original EXIF looks like it was shot in an automatic mode. With modern cameras, there's no reason to shoot ISO 80. Going to 200 gives the photographer so much more latitude on shutter and aperture settings.