RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Foggy (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18381)

spacetrain1983 11-30-2020 08:01 PM

Foggy
 
2 Attachment(s)
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...42&key=6931595
Rejected for being cloudy... well, yes, but it's also foggy and with snow on the ground, so I thought that would add extra merit to the shot?

I also did some B&W edits of this shot, but I haven't submitted them yet.
Attachment 9842
Attachment 9843
Maybe one of these might stand a better chance?

Joe the Photog 11-30-2020 10:09 PM

I may see them making it if the snow was still falling. Also, are these converted to B&W or is the color just muted due to the fog? Either way, I don't see it making RP

I've been wrong before though

ATSF666 12-01-2020 01:08 AM

J, can you up the contrast a bit? I suspect they are too soft, but it might be worth a little more playing around with your photo processor.

spacetrain1983 12-01-2020 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 197067)
I may see them making it if the snow was still falling. Also, are these converted to B&W or is the color just muted due to the fog? Either way, I don't see it making RP

I've been wrong before though

The two B&W edits were done in Photoshop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATSF666 (Post 197068)
J, can you up the contrast a bit? I suspect they are too soft, but it might be worth a little more playing around with your photo processor.

The submission had its color enhanced a bit from the original photo, since the colors were muted as-is. I knew this one would be hard to work with.

miningcamper3 12-01-2020 04:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think it needs to be in color. I basically fiddled with gamma, saturation and color balance 'til I liked what I saw. Good enough for me to save, anyway! Two versions, lighter and a bit darkerL

Mberry 12-01-2020 10:41 PM

I agree with keeping it in color.

Mgoldman 12-02-2020 10:37 PM

Cloudy? On a foggy day - that's crazy. Maybe you can wait and reshoot on a sunny foggy day?

Rejections as such can be quite frustrating!

I would side with Miningcamper on his thoughts - a more accurate rejection might have been "low /poor contrast". Then again, that is typically what you get shooting through dense fog. I like the shot - I'd go the route of Miningcamper, but perhaps cut and paste a copy and then blend accordingly. Or selectively, to suit what your eyes saw with the apparent obligatory tweak to make it perhaps more aesthetically appealing.

Fog shots can be tricky - I put together an album on RP for reference:

https://www.railpictures.net/album/465/

/Mitch

miningcamper3 12-02-2020 11:33 PM

Good album, Mitch. Well worth a bookmark!

RobJor 12-03-2020 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 197072)
Cloudy? On a foggy day - that's crazy. Maybe you can wait and reshoot on a sunny foggy day?

Rejections as such can be quite frustrating!

I would side with Miningcamper on his thoughts - a more accurate rejection might have been "low /poor contrast". Then again, that is typically what you get shooting through dense fog. I like the shot - I'd go the route of Miningcamper, but perhaps cut and paste a copy and then blend accordingly. Or selectively, to suit what your eyes saw with the apparent obligatory tweak to make it perhaps more aesthetically appealing.

Fog shots can be tricky - I put together an album on RP for reference:

https://www.railpictures.net/album/465/

/Mitch

Nice album to put together.

First thing I thought was to recrop to 1200 x 800 instead of 900 or even a little less, and that is reinforced looking at the album. too much grey sky??
If the original had more width, I recrop with more horizontal.

Album aside looking at daily fare, fog shots are not that common, either not submitted or members found out they are a harder take.

There is a little something going on with headlights???, I still like the shots, the way the train fades into background.

Bob

and you passed by one of mine, smile, not a lot of views anyway

[photoid=706810]

miningcamper3 12-03-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 197075)
...and you passed by one of mine, smile, not a lot of views anyway

[photoid=706810]

I faved it, but one question- why not delete the litter??? It just takes a few seconds! :confused:

JimThias 12-18-2020 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper3 (Post 197076)
I faved it, but one question- why not delete the litter??? It just takes a few seconds! :confused:

Yeah, perfect candidates for content aware.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.