Posted by Ky.CatFan on March 13, 2010 
I have seen aircraft "Stuffed and Mounted", and locomotives preserved in Museums, but this is a first ! Just who are these people trying to fool. There's a Big Something Missing here, like there's no trucks, no fuel tank, and also there are no rails on the turntable. Granted the paint job is beautiful, but this makes no sense at all. This is as stupid as a model railroader having a round house on his railroad, with a bunch of model engine body shells in the stalls to make it look like he has a lot of operable motive power. If they were going to preserve an engine then why did do it without all of it's parts ! Either this is Just Dumb, or it's someones Giant Art Project ! The Remarks: Should read partially Preserved GP7..... Oh, I want to thank Thomas for posting this beautiful photo.
Posted by MrDan on March 13, 2010 
A very nice photo. Ky.CatFan, you should do some research before commenting. The turntable is fully operational with inlaid rails, the GP9 is complete with trucks, fuel tank and engine. It can be moved off and on like all the other pieces of equipment at the Toronto Railway Heritage Centre.
Posted by on March 13, 2010 
This locomotive was restored by CN prior to donating it to the city of Toronto. The trucks and fuel tanks are in place, just the reflection of light off the glass in the railing of the turntable hides them. The turntable is also fully restored and operates. This photo was taken in front of the John St. roundhouse in Toronto, at the base of the CN Tower. It will open to the public the end of May 2010.
Posted by Michael Da Costa on March 13, 2010 
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that locomotive is fully operational, the handrails and glass in front of the unit hide the trucks and fuel tank from the viewer and as you can see the rails are there. Excellent shot Thomas.
Posted by Ky.CatFan on March 13, 2010 
I spent quite some time looking at this, but can be wrong like anyone else and stand corrected. Is there some glazing in the turntable railing that reflects the pit walls, and are the track rails flush with the deck on their outer edges ? The yellow re-railing device appears to be attached to the frame and shows up very well. If I ever get to Toronto, I will have to see this in real life. I do notice night time lighting on the turntable itself, and hope that someone can get a broadside photo of this at night if possible and post on RailPictures.
- Post a Comment -