Posted by Doug Wolfe on June 5, 2010 
What a great shot!!!! The tower is gone, but the GM&O station is still there being used by Amtrak. You can see where the crew made a small opening on the front window to see out.
Posted by Joseph Yarbrough on June 5, 2010 
Being a GM&O, ICRR, and ICG fanatic (I grew up alongside the ICRR/ICG mainline during the 1970s/1980s), I always enjoy these images. Fantastic image Don! Thanks for sharing.
Posted by tsched on June 5, 2010 
I grew up on the IC too, so for me it's also very cool to see images like these. Love the manned tower. We had those along the NYC grade in my hometown too.
Posted by efaviator on June 5, 2010 
This is not only where I work (the depot) , but also this was taken the day I was born, about 5 blocks Northeast. I like all of the vintage Springfield photos Don, epsecially the old B&O as I don't remember any of it, but I think this one has to be my favorite!
Posted by Kenneth A. Young on June 6, 2010 
A superb photo. A "cool" shot to view on hot June day.
Posted by Mike Hemming on June 7, 2010 
Brilliant shot
Posted by Tom Massey on June 9, 2010 
Don, Thank you for this wonderful post. My father, Bob Massey, spent the bulk of his work life at the Illinois State Capitol (background of your photo). However, as many of his generation, he worked multiple jobs including driver and clerk for the Railway Express Agency in the 1950's and early 1960's. His duties included unloading freight at both the G,M & O station (shown here) and at the now restored Union Station, which served the Illinois Central, just three blocks away. I grew up playing on (and under) the old baggage carts, always in awe of the power of the F's and E's be they red, maroon, and gold or brown and orange. Finally, my Dad's lifelong best friend and brother-in-law, Bob McCutcheon (my uncle) operated a well known service station exactly one block west of the crossing in your photo. Thanks for making my day.
- Post a Comment -