Posted by Billie Bell on March 1, 2013 
Another seldom seen line from the past. Thank you for sharing this picture Mr. Ellis.
Posted by on March 1, 2013 
Wow! Thanks for sharing this wonderful shot. I was working on the CNO&TP at the time this photo was taken, and I saw this kind of stuff every day back then. The CofG unit running long hood forward was so typical. Southern's SD35s were set up short hood forward, so the guy waving is the head brakeman. This also illustrates a "CNO&TP Sandwich": two later model SD-type units with an older SD24 in the middle. This was also quite common then.
Posted by Bill Caywood on March 2, 2013 
Ron when the SD-24s were new, a Southern Railway (sandwich) would consist of an SD-24 a Fairbanks Morse Trainmaster and another SD-24. When the SD-35s were new then the SD-24s became the meat in the Sandwich. I remember someone once telling me that the Southern's reasoning for the sandwiching, was to keep the older units with worn flanges between the newer units with better flanges. I don't ever remember seeing four axle power mixed in this manner and believe this quirk only applied to six axle units. Does anyone know if other railroads did this.
Posted by gordon vincent on March 18, 2013 
SR's SD35's were set up short hood forward,so the man we see waving is really the engineer,running left handed.
Posted by gordon vincent on March 30, 2013 
I believe the reason for the FM units in the middle all the time was because it was impossible for FM to arrange their control stand to be moved to alongside the engineer.I wonder if there is any old engineer from SR that can verify this.You google locomotive operator manuals,and you will find pictures of FM controls,and you will see what I mean.
Posted by gordon vincent on March 30, 2013 
I believe the reason for the FM units in the middle all the time was because it was impossible for FM to arrange their control stand to be moved to alongside the engineer.I wonder if there is any old engineer from SR that can verify this.You google locomotive operator manuals,and you will find pictures of FM controls,and you will see what I mean.
- Post a Comment -