Posted by FSWood on June 2, 2021 
Even though this is my least favorite RI livery it still is great to see the Rock Island alive and doing business.
Posted by xBNSFer on June 2, 2021 
If they get any newer power (GEVO or Tier 4), they'll quickly run into trouble trying to fit that big billboard lettering on the flanks. It pretty much fills up the generous DASH 8 carbody space already, and that space has been shrinking since the DASH 9s.
Posted by Jonathan S. Spurlock on June 2, 2021 
They'll come up with a work-a-round, much like Iowa Interstate did with IAIS 513, That unit was (and still may be) painted in the (original?) black-red-and white Budd (TM) lettering and was a very sought after engine for the years I lived in the Quad Cities area. Had the Rock been able to survive, we'd probably see multi-unit lashups featuring beasts like these!
Posted by Dylan Jones on June 2, 2021 
I can’t speak for the GEVO’s and whatnot or what their future locomotive acquisitions are, but the logos are slightly larger than what the management wanted, but they made them work regardless and it turned out pretty good. I’m sure if GEVO’s were acquired, they’d make the lettering work. But from what I’ve been told by management, the “reborn blue” paint scheme will be the primary scheme of the roster.
Posted by FSWood on June 2, 2021 
The "Rocket Freight" black and red with white trim and silver trucks would be fun to see but I'm not sending the RI shop my whole year's Social Security Disability to cover the cost of doing the paint job, so I guess that I shouldn't be astonished if they don't do that one! And my brain just now noticed that building in background aft of locomotive, it could make a neat little model.
Posted by Jonathan S. Spurlock on June 4, 2021 
Just out of curiosity, what is the ancestry of this unit--former NS, UP, CSX?? A few years back I remember ICE had a single GP9 pull 5 or so UP C40-8's into the Rock Island, IL "lower yard", probably heading for NRE's facility at Silvis, IL. At least that's what the rumor mill had in 2011. No matter what, I still applaud this railroad for being able to stay in business and finding more modern locomotives.
Posted by Jim Penn on June 5, 2021 
I think she looks great, especially when you realize she will be earning revenue in 2021 with that paint scheme!
Posted by C.M.St.P.& P. on June 7, 2021 
There's a lot of folks out there who only have vague, if any, recollections of this storied rail line. It must be something to see this unit in person for the first time and wonder how is it possible the "Rock Island" is still polishing rails in this day of mega railroads?
Posted by Dylan Jones on June 7, 2021 
Was built as CNW and went to UP after the merger. CN bought it and others in 2010(ish) and Rock Island purchased it from CN last year.
Posted by Ringo Clark - on September 7, 2021 
I know many of you prefer the Blue / White Livery , but have never been a fan of it , to me , this is much more attractive
- Post a Comment -