View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
LAHDPOP

I've always had great luck with cops, and RR cops in particular. I haven't had a situation yet, I don't think, that didn't end with name exchanges, hand shakes, and friendly smiles. A professional, cooperative, positive attitude goes a LONG way when dealing with such incidents.

That being said, two things jump out at me about this situation:

1) The photographer made some kind of comment about Amtrak being publicly owned, and him being on public property. His version and the cop's version differ, but he obviously made some kind of comment about his right to be there. That's never a good idea. Whether you're right or not, it comes off sounding defiant to a cop, and puts them on the defensive. Things don't get better from there.

2) He was in New Orleans. I have lots of experience with authorities in New Orleans. They can be very, very rude. They can also be very tolerant. Instant cooperation is a key factor in how a situation develops there. If he came off as arrogant to a New Orleans cop and/or RR cop, I can see the situation playing out exactly as he described.

So basically, I see it as probably being the photographer's fault (obviously I can't know for sure what went on). He agrees he made some sort of comment about his right to be there. From my experience with cops, and New Orleans cops in particular, that was a bad move. It's confrontational, and sets the tone for the whole encounter to go sour.

I didn't say it was your fault.... I said I was going to blame you.

Click Here to see my rp.net photos.

Click Here to see my "personal collection"
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote