View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 09:52 PM   #19
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
Answering your second question is this sentence from the article, “The photographer who pushed the button owns the copyright. A photographer will own that copyright throughout their life and 70 years afterwards.”
After reading the reference material at the link, what I did not see is how a photographer can assign a copyright to another. Perhaps I missed something, but it would seem to me that if someone "owns" something, such as a copyright, they should be able to sell/assign it to someone else, either as a sale or in their will. The reason that's important is to assure the survival of the material once the originator passes. Without such a provision, where would be the incentive to someone to acquire/preserve the work of another who is deceased? Taken to the extreme, the heirs of a deceased photographer would not be able to do anything substantial with that collection....and might be inclined to just pitch it into a dumpster, which I am sure happens with many photo collections.

If Photographer Fred Jones knows his days are numbered, shouldn't he be able to assign/sell/will ownership to someone who will (for the time being) survive, such that permission to use/publish/perpetuate that work is in the custody of someone who is living?

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote