Thread: What?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #25
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySr View Post
LocoPhotos, TrainPhotos, WGRF meets.....try the artsy argument there and you'll be laughed right out of the trading room.

Hey, you make valid points. My only question was how is it a dumb rule....I, for example, think it's dumb when your average Joe submits a front-coupled, backlit, rear-facing, cloudy day weed-overgrown picture of a locomotive and argues to death's door that it is a "great roster shot".

But to the photo at-hand? I do think it is a very likeable view. That pixelated sky just blows it for me, though.
The front-coupled, backlit, rear-facing, cloudy day, weed-overgrown picture (taken with a 10-year old point and shot at 1000 iso, most likely) leap frogs my abuse of dark nose argument a bit, but I know what you are getting at. At another forum I used to frequent, there was a guy who submitted those type photos, and argued that he was just ahead of his time photographically, and people would come around to his way of thinking.

The dumb rule is that it comes across quite often as a knee-jerk reaction without somewhat of a better explanation. Plus, it is inconsistently applied, and in some cases, signifies a stunning lack of creativity on the part of the screeners; you have to know what the front of that steam engine looks like. Had the photographer not screwed the sky (or been screwed by, actually) the dark front makes an imposing and dramatic image, or could.

The base argument, I guess, is shoddy reviewer feed back. Maybe they don't have time, but if the are positioning themselves to be railroad photo tastemakers, they kind of owe it* to the rest of us to do better than a bunch of pull down menus and generic rejections.

For this photo, the rejection should have been, look, you screwed the sky. You can't have it both ways without some serious technical work, some fiddling around in raw, if you are lucky, or shoot for the highlights and let the rest go dark and go the glint root. Maybe you would argue that this isn't photo school, but I refer to my tastemaker comment.

*maybe owe it is too strong, but this site is clearly influential, and being the 800 pound gorilla in the railroad photo biz, they should be a benevolent giant, and tell us what we are doing wrong better than the aforementioned pulldowns.

Again, my opinion, enjoy with salt. Been spending my idle hours driving around looking for pictures thinking about photographic rules, railroad photo and otherwise.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote