View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 02:19 AM   #21
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobE View Post
I think what you're asking is what's the application. If you're using the ROT grid with the PS crop tool, your subject should be more or less centered at the point where two of the lines intersect. With the AMT shot, that would roughly be between the headlights and above the coupler. Roughly. The FL9, the crosshairs would roughly the lower headlight. Roughly.

Ron's right, it's a compositional tool but it has to be adapted to the needs of the individual photo. The idea is create a visual imbalance that causes the viewer's eye to move through the scene and take it all in. Putting your subject at "dead center" means the eye isn't going to move. Or so I was taught 30+ years ago by my friend Petty Officer Gehri Weeks, Navy photojournalist.

The rule is a good starting point for photographers, but it isn't carved in stone. If you're talented and I assume you are you're going to start finding ways to break it in creative ways. Just for fun and not for RP try compositions where your subject is tightly packed into a corner or along one of the edges of the frame.
Excellent points. It shouldn't be called the "rule" of thirds, since it's more like a "suggestion" of thirds. I center subjects in the frame all the time, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Each composition is different---and folks should be creative in finding those compositions.

I will go back to my point that a scene should have some visual balance that makes it interesting. And---some scenes are just not appealing at all, no matter what you try---vertical, horizontal, center of interest on left, right...it just doesn't matter. No matter how skilled you are as a photographer, you might not be able to bring home a winner in every case.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote