View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #31
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBNSFer View Post
I don't see what is difficult to understand. I was responding in that post you quoted to another person on that thread who expressed a similar point of view - agreeing with him, essentially.

And I do have a basis for experience; I submitted one photo. Call it a "test." I intentionally chose a photo that was "coloring outside the lines" a bit to gauge their response. As expected, it was rejected for reasons that had nothing to do with the quality of the image (the "no light on the nose" bs). I can find a thousand "accepted" photos with "no light on the nose" on this site. So not only is much of what makes up their "rules" stupid and narrow-minded, but the "enforcement" of their "rules" is not consistent. If it is a "rule," the "rule" should have something to do with whether the image is pleasant to look at. If it is a "rule," it should apply to all images; if it is selectively applied, it's not a rule. I wasted no further time trying to please them, nor will I. My contributions are comments and suggestions on photos or in the forums, and that's it.

I never want to, even subconsciously, take photos in a manner that is directed to "pleasing" the type of "gatekeepers" (like the "screeners" on this site) that always seem to prevail in any railfan-centric "media." You know what's telling? When I show my train photos to "non-railfan" audiences, the photos that most often get an "oooh" or "ahhh" are the "backlit" shots with "no light on the nose" - or even (horrors!) backlit going away shots!

Let me tell you what I don't understand - I don't understand why people feel the need to defend the "screeners," when they reject plenty of perfectly good images and accept images that should be rejected.

Based on some of your more recent posts, you seem to be getting frustrated with the nonsense yourself...

You can see my pics here:

https://richardbischoff.smugmug.com/
Wow - you uploaded one image that was intentionally biased to fail. I really don't think that gives you the pass to take drive-by shots at anything involved with the process or people at RP. I am not defending anyone as much as questioning the validity of your remarks.

A good friend who was standing next to me when I took many of the images that I have uploaded here contacted me several years after I started posting here. He and I were very like-minded in our approach to rail photography. It turns out that he was a screener at RP. We never discussed issues with individual photos, especially my own, and I never knew who rejected any of my submittals. I respected his photography, and I believe that the other screeners are/were of the same caliber. Unfortunately, he has since succumbed to a long-term disease, but he did make me sympathetic to the crap that screeners endure. If you go into the process predisposed to the notion that your images couldn't possibly be improved, RP is not for you. It seems to me that the opinion that the screeners are "narrow-minded" comes from a narrow-minded POV.

My current issues are my own, and shared here to make sure that I am not overreacting to a real issue that I am missing. I've received plenty of legitimate rejections over the years, and that kept me from posting flawed images. I have also submitted many images that were "outside the lines", mainly nose lighting issues, with the idea that overall scene or historical context may outweigh the flaw. Sometimes they get accepted, sometimes they go to Flickr. No big deal. Please don't confuse my current frustration with sharing your mindset.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 04-25-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote