Old 08-27-2021, 04:42 AM   #1
J Douglas Moore

Default Lens Dilemma

Really would like some opinions on this. Not real educated in this but learning and asking.

Debating between these lens.
EF 70-200 f/2 IS III USM or EF 100-400 F4.5 - 5.6L IS II USM

Leaning toward the 70-200... Anyone have any experience to share?

Thanks in advance

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:53 AM   #2
Mgoldman

Well... it's all a question of what you want to be able to do with the lens.

With the 70-200 2.8, you'll be able to get that really nice bokeh for portraits and also have the ability to shoot under low light easier since you can stop down to 2.8 as needed.

With the 100-400, you get the same reach - and more, but it's probably overkill for portraits. Instead, you'll be using it to bring what's far away closer and you'll get that great compression in your images (bringing a lot into the composition in an exaggerated fashion). However, you'll be restricted to what you shoot as you can only stop down so much, and often find yourself needing to use either a slower shutter speed than desired, or a higher ISO.

I use my 70-200 for portraits, and steam charters as 400mm looks a bit off for nostalgia.

I use my 100-400 mm almost non-stop, shooting under the wire along the NEC - love the roller coaster compression. It would also make a great wild life lens.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #3
J Douglas Moore

Smile

Thanks Mitch... I shoot both wildlife and trains. Sounds like you don't have any real issues with shooting the 100-400 for your train pics. Gave me some good info to ponder... Do you feel the 100-400 is as clear as the 70-200, especially at 400 ?

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
Old 08-27-2021, 05:34 AM   #4
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore View Post
Thanks Mitch... I shoot both wildlife and trains. Sounds like you don't have any real issues with shooting the 100-400 for your train pics. Gave me some good info to ponder... Do you feel the 100-400 is as clear as the 70-200, especially at 400 ?
I think the 70-200 may be the sharpest lens I have ever owned.

My first 100-400 Canon lens was crap. I took mostly test shots and then sold it about a year later. Then, some time later, I purchased a 300 mm prime which is a steal and mated it to a 1.4 extender with great results, but it was a one shot and you're done deal. When I could finally part with enough cash to get my 100-400 I did - and mated it to the 1.4 extender (so 140 - 560 mm) and love it for the NEC since I can shoot under the wires verse across them. Forget about Canon's 2.0 extender - it'll give you soft images, though I have had some luck using it on objects, ironically, closer than infinity. As for sharpness - the 100-400 seems pretty good but I shoot a good deal of shots at 560 mm and they tend to incur some amount of heat distortion from hot air that rises from the surface - hence, I rarely use it an hour or so after sunrise or before sunset. Forget about waiting until Winter, btw - heat distortion is the result of the temperature DIFFERENCE between the heated ground and the air above it - so you'll get some heat distortion even when it's 20 degrees out when the Sun is out. Haven't had a chance to use it much for wildlife but I'll say airplanes are not the sharpest when I've tried.

/Mitch
Old 08-27-2021, 05:38 AM   #5
Mgoldman

BTW - if you are using a Dx format vs full frame, you'll get more zoom - in fact, every focal length will be multiplied by 1.6 if you are shooting with a Canon Dx format - so, 100-400 will be 160 to 640 mm, and your 70-200 will be 112 - 320 mm.

/Mitch
Old 08-27-2021, 06:00 AM   #6
J Douglas Moore

Great info .... I will be digesting it and make a choice... Thanks again

"Thanks for looking"

Old 08-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

If you're leaning towards the big lens, I suggest looking at the 150-600 Tamron G1/2 offering as well. I put in a lot of good work with it, and consider it superior to the 100-400 Canon offering (tested both, and didn't buy the Canon).

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
RobJor

And the missing link is you don't tell us what you already have lens wise or the camera.

Assuming you already have adequate quality coverage on the short end and even into middle range and wildlife is important than I would consider Loyd's suggestion. 200mm doesn't do much for you and depending on how serious you are for wildlife even 400 can leave you lacking.

And following up on Loyd I'd widen range on brands. Not sure of Canon but in Nikon 70-200 2.8 versions are considered a premium lens and carry a good price.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 08-27-2021 at 01:24 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
If you're leaning towards the big lens, I suggest looking at the 150-600 Tamron G1/2 offering as well. I put in a lot of good work with it, and consider it superior to the 100-400 Canon offering (tested both, and didn't buy the Canon).

Loyd L.
I second the 150-600 Tamron nomination. I mostly shoot wildlife with it, as I generally don't go for the telemash effect with my train photos.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #10
J Douglas Moore

Thumbs up

Thank You all for the input

"Thanks for looking"

Old 08-30-2021, 02:38 AM   #11
vcode455

What camera as well? Bumping the ISO up to compensate for a slower lens is not a big deal with many of the newer cameras. My D7500 is much better than my D90 at high ISO's, although the D90 is still my go-to camera for many train shots.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:02 AM   #12
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcode455 View Post
What camera as well? Bumping the ISO up to compensate for a slower lens is not a big deal with many of the newer cameras. My D7500 is much better than my D90 at high ISO's, although the D90 is still my go-to camera for many train shots.
Still "hunting" with my D40... 14 years old and still ticking

"Thanks for looking"

Old 09-01-2021, 12:51 AM   #13
vcode455

But the lens you mentioned are not for that camera, right?
Old 09-01-2021, 01:40 AM   #14
RobJor

Quote:
But the lens you mentioned are not for that camera, right?
that is why I said the missing link is what camera , I was thinking we need to know DX or FX before discussing lens but never imagined a D-40. I'd think the replies would be different.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 09-01-2021 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #15
vcode455

Guessing the D40 is a secondary camera as the lenses he mentioned have a Canon designation.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:43 PM   #16
RobJor

Quote:
Guessing the D40 is a secondary camera as the lenses he mentioned have a Canon designation.
My oversight!!!!. But his last photos here are 2012 at least with link provided. Some really nice ones, interesting to see the counts back then.

Bob
Old 09-05-2021, 06:35 AM   #17
J Douglas Moore

I think I need to add more info and correct an error I made. I have been out of the photography loop for a few years and have not stayed up with all the new innovations. You know, life happens but I am ready to get back in the saddle. Please bear with me My camera is a Canon 40D. Yes, it is old and outdated but still works well. The lens I am considering is for now and in the future as I plan to upgrade my camera soon. I wasn't sure if the Tamron 150-600 would work well for me on the 40D. I rented one and am very pleased with the results. Should I expect any issues with the Tamron while using it on my 40D? I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. Now, any suggestions for my next camera? Thanks All

"Thanks for looking"

Old 09-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #18
bigbassloyd

I used my 150-600 on my old as crap Canon XS many times without any issues. The crop sensor focal length multiplier was quite nice for celestial shots.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:37 AM   #19
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore View Post
I think I need to add more info and correct an error I made. I have been out of the photography loop for a few years and have not stayed up with all the new innovations. You know, life happens but I am ready to get back in the saddle. Please bear with me My camera is a Canon 40D. Yes, it is old and outdated but still works well. The lens I am considering is for now and in the future as I plan to upgrade my camera soon. I wasn't sure if the Tamron 150-600 would work well for me on the 40D. I rented one and am very pleased with the results. Should I expect any issues with the Tamron while using it on my 40D? I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. Now, any suggestions for my next camera? Thanks All
I'll take a different approach than most. I suggest treating yourself to a new camera body before you invest in lenses. That 40D was current in 2008. That's 13 years out of date. Sensors have improved tremendously since then, both in resolution and in sensitivity. Cameras back in 2008 didn't handle 800 ISO all that well, much less 1600 or more. If someone were to suggest that I do my next steam charter with my old Nikon D40x, I would tell them they should have their head examined. The reason I suggest body first is because you may want to go mirrorless. That is certainly where all of the major manufacturers are headed. DSLRs are on their last legs. If you go mirrorless, you should buy all future lenses for that type of camera. I don't know about Canon, but Nikon's mirrorless cameras do support DSLR lenses, which makes the transition easier for those of us who have a big investment in DSLR glass.

I have a Nikon mirrorless, in addition to several DSLRs. When I attend night shoots, I often shoot that Z6 hand-held at 3200 ISO. I tell people that in about 3 years, if you attend a night shoot with a tripod, you are just going to be in the way.

Seriously, a new body will run circles around that old 40D. The images you will get with a new camera will knock your socks off. Think about it.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 09-08-2021 at 03:40 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #20
vcode455

I guess the main question remains, what are you going to do with the images? If you are going to post here, make decent 8X10's and rarely venture out at night, there is probably little reason to invest in the latest and greatest tech. Will you be out every day shooting or a couple time a month? My old Nikon D90 makes 8x10's indistinguishable from my D7500 and I still have to cut image size by at least 50% to post here. Is it as good at night photography or can I crop as much? No, but it is just fine for 90% of what I do. Many action/sports/wildlife photographers still prefer DSLR's for their AF accuracy and speed. Many on the Nikon forums will tell you good glass is more important than the camera. It really all depends on your budget and what you want to do with the images in the long run.....
Old 09-09-2021, 02:03 AM   #21
KevinM

Quote:
I guess the main question remains, what are you going to do with the images? If you are going to post here, make decent 8X10's and rarely venture out at night, there is probably little reason to invest in the latest and greatest tech. Will you be out every day shooting or a couple time a month? My old Nikon D90 makes 8x10's indistinguishable from my D7500 and I still have to cut image size by at least 50% to post here. Is it as good at night photography or can I crop as much? No, but it is just fine for 90% of what I do. Many action/sports/wildlife photographers still prefer DSLR's for their AF accuracy and speed. Many on the Nikon forums will tell you good glass is more important than the camera. It really all depends on your budget and what you want to do with the images in the long run.....
The real advantage of a new body is ISO. If the person is only going to shoot on nice, sunny days, an old body might just work fine, but on a cloudy day, an old 40D will never hold a candle to a current camera. My old D40x was from that same generation, and I hesitated to go beyond 400 ISO because the image quality really suffered. I agree with the people on the Nikon forums that glass is important.....assuming you have something reasonable as a camera....and both the 40D and the D40x are woefully out of date as camera bodies.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #22
RobJor

Returning to photography hobby is a process usually started by returning to an old friend as seems to be the case with the OP.

Today is probably more complicated than ever with all the choices and I think you have to move in steps. This is not even considering night lighting and drones(which now often dominate here). Some people swear by cell phones. One possibility is to upgrade to a more recent used crop sensor Nikon at a reasonable price and ease back into the hobby.

If you are doing wildlife you will may find that you need to upgrade get the shots you want.

As far as railpics, I looked through yesterdays photos, eliminating drones and night lighting a 40D or maybe a slight upgrade seems more that capable to capture 95 pct of what is posted.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 09-09-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #23
vcode455

I admit I don't know much about the 40D, but on the Nikon side the D90 was a huge improvement over the D80, just like the D3100 over the D3000. There have been improvements since then, but they get smaller and smaller. ISO sensitivity have improved though. Used is not a bad way to go. I've bought all my Nikon's refurbished, and they were all like new with shutter counts under 100 clicks.....
Old 09-11-2021, 04:58 AM   #24
J Douglas Moore

Great info to consider.. Thanks all... Since I am a hobbyist I am thinking the 90D would be a good option for my upgrade

"Thanks for looking"

Old 09-11-2021, 09:33 PM   #25
vcode455

Based on what I read, the 90D would be a huge upgrade, but even the 70/80D would be a pretty big jump over what you have if you can find a nice used one.