Old 11-21-2007, 01:34 AM   #26
Mgoldman

Hi Dave,

I noted the absence of your name in this thread, and a few others...
That'll teach ya to take a break from uploading!

A peek at your latest is the best comeback.
I liked your artsy fartsy sunrise shot - not abstract, but certainly art.
Not sure why you didn't get an SC - you must have been sitting in the wrong seat during duck, duck, duck, SC.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #27
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West
One of the names that needs to get mentioned somewhere in this thread is Alan John Crotty.
Wow, it must be nice to have the opportunities to get such nice pics. Oh well, one can dream, can't he? I love Michigan, but I hate it for rr photography.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #28
JRMDC

Thanks for reminding us of Alan's work, John. I don't recall him being mentioned in the "top 3 photographers" thread but he should be. [EDIT: oops, this IS that thread!]

Amusing to me that, just a few weekends ago, I was shooting pretty much the same shot as the last one. No coincidence, the least interesting of the five shown here. And, no surprise, I see something I should have tried but did not think of. Mitch has a similar shot here from that weekend (a better version than mine), just a few feet earlier on the curve with the horse/cart in the field:

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 212059
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-21-2007 at 02:13 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:08 AM   #29
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
Hi Dave,
I noted the absence of your name in this thread, and a few others...
Alan John Crotty - definately one of the "others"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Wow, it must be nice to have the opportunities to get such nice pics. Oh well, one can dream, can't he? I love Michigan, but I hate it for rr photography.
I've been to Michigan and would have agreed at one point, maybe that's why you are where you are, Jim?

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 194040
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 204220
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 168195
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 192143
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 177001
Photograph © Jim Thias

Eat your words!

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 11-21-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:57 AM   #30
F40PH271

I'll have to go with:
1)Steve Schmollinger
2)John Day
3)John Ryan
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #31
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West
One of the names that needs to get mentioned somewhere in this thread is Alan John Crotty.
I agree, I have been knocked out by some of his night time steam shots recently.

Question - why have'nt some of these made Screeners choice ? I know shots of UK rail subjects stand significantly less chance on a predominantly US site (just watch the view counts on most UK photos compared to US ones that get approved at the same time), but at least one of Alans shots has had a PCA recently and they thoroughly deserve more recognition.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #32
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman

I've been to Michigan and would have agreed at one point, maybe that's why you are where you are, Jim?

Eat your words!

/Mitch

Thanks, but I'm just tired of seeing endless miles of farmland, and I'm not a big city shooter. I love landscape photography, so what I'd love to have the opportunity to shoot the most are areas out west in the mountains and also some of the desert regions. I love wide open, sweeping landscapes, and nothing fills that scenery better than a long, winding train. Also, Ross Fotheringham's picture that was "stolen" by BNSF is the perfect example of the scenery and type of shot that I'd love to have the opportunity to photograph. And I AM the type of guy who braves the environment to get shots like that. Unfortunately, there's neither the snow fall nor landscape to capture a scene like that (I have a pair of snowshoes just BEGGING to be used!). Yeah, I can find plenty of snow-covered fields with trains going across them, but after a while, that just gets boring. I need something GREATER.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #33
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Jim;

You should try the Carolinas. With a few exceptions in the North Carolina mountains, there is little or no cenerey to deal with. Just a lot of straight tangent of tracks, surronded by a lot of trees in most places.

Joe
Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #34
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrailfan
I must suck, so I'll vote for Me, Myself & I!
Dave,

I didn't start this thread to hurt anyone's feelings, and I hope you or anyone else isn't taking it that way that hasn't been listed. Taste in photography is like taste in anything else. Some of us like beer, while some of us may like wine. Some of us like rock and roll while others like country music. Is one worse than the other? They're just different types of good music from both catagories just like you have the "artsy fartsy" shots vs. the strictly train photos. Both styles have excellent photos, it just a matter of taste for which style that you like.

I think that I covered my butt by listing my #3A as
Quote:
#3A is everyone else on Railpictures. If it relates to railroading, and its on RP, it's a good shot. After all, this is RP.net.
because it is true. RP is the place to find excellent shots of any style, domestic or foreign.

Cheer up, someone will list you
Kevin
Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #35
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Okay, I've gone through this thread and I agree with everyone, but one name that has not been mentioned is Alex Ramos. I am always amazed at his work and I always feel like I suck after seeing new stuff from him; makes me go out and try harder. He's definitely one of the photogs that I get inspiration/a-swift-kick-in-the-youknow from!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #36
M.L.Gabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
but one name that has not been mentioned is Alex Ramos. I am always amazed at his work
I've got to agree Andrew, I'm always amazed by his work. I wish I had an "eye" like that. Some of my other favorite's are, Schmollinger, I've seen his pics in countless publications, Ray Lewis for his amazing Donner winter shots, oh and that.. um.. um... Dave Toussaint
M.L.Gabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #37
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

When pressed, I would name my top 3 as:

3. Ken Carr (Vegasrails)
2. John West
1. Steve Schmollinger

Ken Carr was the one who got me interested in photographing the LA&SL through Nevada, and really put Las Vegas on the map for me personally. If it wasn't for the fact I enjoyed his photography so much, I wouldn't have taken the opportunity to move to Las Vegas.

John West is a very underrated photographer IMO, often falling somewhat in the shadow of Michael Allen and others. But I absolutely love his Nevada Northern shtos and other steam shots. Not really a hard core steam shooter myself, but I like his work.

Finally, Steve Schmollinger has always been and will always be my favorite and rail photography idol. His work has made an impression on me since I was 3 years old, when I thought all train shots were neat, yet his stood out to me. Today it is still the same, and I can pore over his photographs for hours. I don't think his move to Texas has suited him well, as to me he belongs in the Southwest, but he still manages some terrific shots, SC's, and PC's. I'm going to Tehachapi in two days and am literally trembling with anticipation of treading his old turf...but I'm clearly not worthy.

I feel obligated to add some Honorable Mentions however. Commenting on people's photos is a way to show you appreciate their work, and some of the names repeatedly showing up on my comment list are:

Andrew B- I like how he does that one extra thing in each of his shots to set it out from the masses, whether it be climbing a little higher for that perfect angle, framing a prop or whatever, that's what I take away from his work and clumsily try to apply it to my own.

Mitch Goldman has taken some very nice shots.

George Hamlin- Master of the past and present! I love his older stuff, and he may be even better today shooting along the east coast.

Southland Warrior shoots in a lot of locales I will hit regularly, and does a fine job of shooting them.

John Ryan has pulled off quite a few amazing shots. He's one of those guys who causes me to just shake my head, as the Railfan Gods are clearly smiling upon him.

Finally, one last photographer whos work I'm starting to really enjoy is my own. I know that sounds arrogant, but if we truly shoot for ourselves, we should enjoy our own work. I know I will never be mentioned in the same breath as the greats, and don't expect to make anyone's lists but my own, but I have appreciated the times when someone has mentioned how much they enjoy my pictures. It truly makes photography that much more enjoyable.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #38
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
if we truly shoot for ourselves, we should enjoy our own work.
Absolutely! I am very happy with some recent shots of my own, just because. They please me. RP happened to accept them also, but certainly they don't have mass appeal, nor do I think they should:
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 211808
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 196575

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 193102

Ken, your stuff is nice, don't sell yourself short:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #39
JimThias

Quote:

Finally, Steve Schmollinger has always been and will always be my favorite and rail photography idol. His work has made an impression on me since I was 3 years old, when I thought all train shots were neat, yet his stood out to me.
I'd never heard of him (or really ANY photographer, for that matter) before finding railpics. How'd you see his work before railpics?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #40
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

My 3 favorite rail photographers are not active on RP.

1. The infamous Grumpy of grumpysworld dot com.
2. Dave Honan - not sure if he even takes photos any more
3. Greg Shoemaker.
Seeing photos from Grumpy and Greg on alt.binaries.pictures.rail is what got me interested in rail photography. They are both masters of the sport.

On RP, I'd have to say Steve Schmollinger. I've been a fan of his for several years, he is killer with a telephoto lens.

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #41
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Aside from the aforementioned Dave Toussaint, one awesome RP shooter that I forgot about is Nick McLean who frankly came to my neck of the woods and blew my stuff out of the water at the South Carolina Railroad Museum.

Image © Nick McLean
PhotoID: 206332
Photograph © Nick McLean

It was actually very humbling to see his stuff compared to mine. It makes no sense to me that those shots don't average 1000 views each.

Heck, maybe even 1002!!!

Joe

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 11-21-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #42
skyliner

Default Who are your favorite 3 RP photographers?

Ken:

Thanks for the compliment! Was pleased to see that you nominated John West; very well deserved, in my opinion.

Jim:

Re Steve Schmollinger, check out his outstanding Tehachapi book, published by Boston Mills Press.

George
skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:07 AM   #43
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool Diversity and Statistics

Perhaps what we should be celebrating here is the diversity of talent. I checked the last 60 PCA's and 51 DIFFERENT photographers were represented. Steve Schmollenger not surprisingly took first place, but with only three out out of the 60. Only seven photogs got two PCA's each. One of the things that makes RP so interesting is not only the quality of many of the contributors, but also the diversity of subject matter and style.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:11 AM   #44
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Naw, my feelings don't get hurt. To try and chose favorites is tough, because each has their own style and specialties. So not to hurt anyones feelings I won't chose three and just continue to enjoy shots that appeal to me.
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #45
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
I'd never heard of him (or really ANY photographer, for that matter) before finding railpics. How'd you see his work before railpics?
He's been published many, many times in Trains magazine, especially when I was a subscriber. Hardly any story about California would run without at least one of his pictures in it.

Janusz, thanks for your kind comment. I feel I should return the favor and feature one of your photos I particularly like. Simple, but nice!

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 184209
Old 11-22-2007, 12:45 AM   #46
JRMDC

Quote:
Janusz, thanks for your kind comment. I feel I should return the favor and feature one of your photos I particularly like. Simple, but nice!
What? You don't want to feature one of my photos solely based on merit? It is only the social nicety / compulsion of the favor return? I am hurt!

PS Thanks for the comment you left on that photo back in July, before I buttered you up.

[PS to Jim Thias: do I really have to leave an emoticon on stuff like this? Aargh!]

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-22-2007, 01:36 AM   #47
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
The mags dude! (yes you do, J!) Hehe. I recall seeing Schmo's photos in countless R&R issues, Trains, CTC Board?, etc...

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:19 AM   #48
NicTrain35

Chris Paulhamus - Always enjoyed his pictures from around North Dakota. They've made me want to take a trip down there one day. In posts that I make about needing help with my photography, he's always willing to help.

Andrew Blaszczyk - Love his pictures. I've always enjoyed the steam pictures, as well as his shots from Pennsylvania. Love his advice. He makes you a better photographer.

Mike Rapchak Jr. - Always loved his pictures around the Indiana/Illinois area and a very good friend of mine who has helped me a lot with my photography.

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #49
alexramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
The mags dude! (yes you do, J!) Hehe. I recall seeing Schmo's photos in countless R&R issues, Trains, CTC Board?, etc...
He also has several books out. I first heard of him after seeing (and purchasing) his Desert Railroading book at a local bookstore a good six or seven years ago. After going through it I immediately knew I wanted to take photos like him.

Take Care,
Alex Ramos
alexramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:57 AM   #50
Lee Baxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
I would have to say Michael James, although he needs to get out of the electrified territory so he can get more than three-quarter wedge shots.

Seriously though ... (Australian Photographers)
- Chris Walters has taken some great shots all over Australia!
- Brooke and Lee Baxter also have some great shots from the NSW Southern Highlands.
Australian photographers would definentaly include, Chris Walters who's work i have liked for years, and Michael James does pretty well also. My father inlaw and Brookes Grand father Trevor Harris is also a favourite, being from my local area.
One who does not submit to RP.Net, Graham Cotterall is my favourite of all Aussie photograpers and whos images are forever inspirational.

Top 3 from overseas is very hard both Brooke and Myself chose,
Mitch Goldman
Andrew B
But the truth is there are a lot of great photographers :
Bob Avery, Craig Williams, Steve Schmollinger, Allen-Crotty, Michael F Allen, Kevin Andrusia, NScaleMike, Dave Toussiant, Chris Paulhamus, just to name a few.

Regards Lee Baxter
Lee Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote