Old 07-25-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Default TV Station does train crossing safety story ON the railroad tracks

This is going to sound like I'm bitter, since this is my former TV station. But get a load of what they do. OK, so a 16 year old kid is killed by a train in Sumter, SC. I feel bad for his family and friends. But it seems clear that he tried to beat a train and lost. So as a follow up, WIS-TV sends a reporter to the scene the next day to interview a man about why that crossinng needs gates. Here's the link

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10787467

Click on the link to the side to pop up the video titled " Viewers ask if train crossing needs gate after teen killed, Susan-Elizabeth Littlefield reports" Then see where she and the photog place the interview subject. Yep. On the railroad right of way. The photog appears to be standing on the actual tracks.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Condolences to his family. However, you can put gates, barriers and a thousand bells and flashing lights at any crossing and still have total disregard of the appliances by motorists.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

Joe,

It's really the nature of the beast. No one can have all the knowledge in the world. Just as if you had me do a story on airplanes, I'd make some bone-headed stupid comments or stand in an unsafe place because I wouldn't know any better, this person is doing the same with the railroad because they don't know.

I don't think there is anyway to make sure you have an expert called to every situation.

Wish there was... the news would feel so much more credible to watch.

Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Joe,

It's really the nature of the beast. No one can have all the knowledge in the world. Just as if you had me do a story on airplanes, I'd make some bone-headed stupid comments or stand in an unsafe place because I wouldn't know any better, this person is doing the same with the railroad because they don't know.

I don't think there is anyway to make sure you have an expert called to every situation.

Wish there was... the news would feel so much more credible to watch.

Charles
You make some very good points Charles.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
RRR2007

being a retire locomotive engineer; i can not tell you what it feels like when you hit a vehicle and some one dies as the result.
my best to the youg mans family but.......... TRAINS HAVE THE RIGHT AWAY!
RRR2007
RRR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
lock4244

Stop. Look. Listen. This is no different than running a red light... the train always has the right of way with a road. Gates won't make anyone smarter, but a State Trooper handing out a big fat old ticket for ignoring the crossing signals might smarten a few people up.

I feel bad for the crew that has to live with this, but I can't see this as tragic because the deceased made the decision to ignore the warnings. There appears to be no question that the warning lights and bell operated. Someone killed at a crossing due to the train derailing and crushing their car is tragic, not this... this is user error.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 08-05-2009 at 09:16 PM.
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
MNJRR

Send a message via AIM to MNJRR Send a message via MSN to MNJRR

geez are they looking for another accident... but agreed people need to smarten up and realize that trains dont stop on a dime and they always have the right of way. As the video said 50% of train vs. car accidents happen at gated crossings. People just need to have some patience and think, is gaing a few minutes worth my life?
MNJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10787467

Click on the link to the side to pop up the video titled " Viewers ask if train crossing needs gate after teen killed, Susan-Elizabeth Littlefield reports" Then see where she and the photog place the interview subject. Yep. On the railroad right of way. The photog appears to be standing on the actual tracks.
Where are all the stories about people running red lights and getting killed by other cars and trucks? And would you be as upset if the reporter stood on the shoulder of the roadway to get the story?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Standing on the shoulder is one thing, but that photog surely is standing ON the train track.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Standing on the shoulder is one thing, but that photog surely is standing ON the train track.
Oh, the humanity!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote