Old 06-26-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
RobJor

Default Composition - Kevin?

Been a month so I thought I might try one.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...35&key=4705530

There were only like 9 in the queue and I was the lucky reject.

I suppose I could trim slightly from right and top but would that make a difference?

Robert Jordan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Railpics-02.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	9904  

Last edited by RobJor; 06-26-2021 at 05:39 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #2
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I'm not entirely sure this is fixable. There's too much sky and not enough at the bottom. If you take any off the right (or left for that matter) you start copping off the railroad signals.

Sorry, I'm not Kevin
Old 06-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #3
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm not entirely sure this is fixable. There's too much sky and not enough at the bottom. If you take any off the right (or left for that matter) you start copping off the railroad signals.

Sorry, I'm not Kevin
Joe, thanks for input!! Lol, only mentioned Kevin because response group is a little thin on the forum, I'd remove that but can't. I somewhat agree now seeing rejection. My rational was the morning sky color and deep blue sky was the major attraction and more foreground pavement would not improve the image. No a fan of foreground ballast either.

Bob
Old 06-27-2021, 04:34 AM   #4
KevinM

Wow, that's actually a pretty nice image. I am a bit surprised they didn't overlook any minor compositional flaws and just accept it. It's far more interesting than the endless parade of featureless freight train wedges that we see every day.

Joe pretty much took the words out of my mouth. The subject is likely too low in the frame for the screener's liking. Cropping some off the top will help shift the subject up a bit, but if you have more frame below the train, I would include at least a bit more on the bottom. Do what it takes to get the train on one of the "thirds points" in your crop tool. While many rejects posted here are not really worth going nuclear with the screeners, I think this one would perform decently and it's worth another shot to get it in.

Nice one. I wish I had a shot like this with 611 on the front of a passenger train.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #5
RobJor

Thanks Kevin! one of my faults is I don't fix my composition when shooting and may shift a little. In this case I was fixed on keeping both sides of the structure with a little room and not cutting off the top and leaving a little room. Of course the adage of shooting a little wider to allow for cropping applies but I was using prime lens and probably set up too tight to begin with.

Bob Jordan
Old 06-28-2021, 01:40 AM   #6
vcode455

Agree with Kevin, looks OK to me.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #7
Mgoldman

I too agree with Kevin.
Word for word, in fact.

I thought maybe the train was too far to the left for the screener but the signal and light pole to the right nicely balance it out. I too run into subjects that are so wide, it's hard to make them work, but you have a beautiful sky so... FLICKR?, lol.

The only RP fix I see is shifting the subject up a bit if you had cropped the foreground.

Good luck - it's a PC in the making, even if it's a going away shot.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:03 AM   #8
ATSF666

Maybe for RP purposes tighten up almost to signal bridge on the right and left hand sides, but in reality, it looks great as is. Some rejections here simply make no sense in terms of real photography. Oh well.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #9
Grewup on the CW

Pull left margin in bout 1/2" then bottom and top down an 1". I don't mind the power lines across the signal lights as they are everywhere but maybe that is their issue. ?
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:04 AM   #10
Milepost 58

It's unfortunate that they don't like the 3:5 aspect because that would be just the ticket for this one! Having said that, I really like the image, and I'm surprised they didn't take it.
Milepost 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #11
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

IMO, there's not much of interest on the top. I'd crop as tight as you can on both sides to the signals (maybe to the distant signal on the right side) and get rid of as much top that you can. This would get rid of a lot of sky and also the utility pole and most of the wires. How good are you cloning skills?
Old 07-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milepost 58 View Post
It's unfortunate that they don't like the 3:5 aspect because that would be just the ticket for this one!
I use the 3:5 crop a LOT. There are plenty of images with a ton of featureless foreground or sky that benefit immensely from using that crop. I don't recall how well the To24 or SC slots on the home page handle that crop, because I rarely get To24 any more. I think they still work OK. The only thing the home page does not handle is verticals. When a vertical makes To24, it gets stretched into a landscape format and looks really strange.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #13
Milepost 58

For some reason I didn't think they liked that size. That's good to know, as I have a few that would look much better that way. I also think it would work for the photo in the original post.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:46 AM   #14
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I use the 3:5 crop a LOT. There are plenty of images with a ton of featureless foreground or sky that benefit immensely from using that crop. I don't recall how well the To24 or SC slots on the home page handle that crop, because I rarely get To24 any more. I think they still work OK. The only thing the home page does not handle is verticals. When a vertical makes To24, it gets stretched into a landscape format and looks really strange.
I also use 3:5 a decent amount.... I've never had any rejection for using this ratio.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #15
RobJor

As a followup I used the next frame which had train a little further away from edge and processed like before. That effort received 4 rejection reasons.

On another note from better times I have created an album of night and a few blue hour photos that were accepted, a total of 161 total. I guess you can view with this link if interested?

https://www.railpictures.net/album/6095/

Another recent photo which I obviously will not try but I like because was a challenge.

Thanks for all replies,

Bob Jordan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Z-1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	9907  
Old 07-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
As a followup I used the next frame which had train a little further away from edge and processed like before. That effort received 4 rejection reasons.

On another note from better times I have created an album of night and a few blue hour photos that were accepted, a total of 161 total. I guess you can view with this link if interested?

Another recent photo which I obviously will not try but I like because was a challenge.

Thanks for all replies,

Bob Jordan

The rejections in that signal bridge shot leave me scratching my head. I wonder what the 4 reasons were this time? It's not my site, so my view doesn't count, but I consider that shot far more interesting than a lot of stuff that gets accepted.

That album is pretty nice. That's quite a collection and clearly represents a lot of work, because each image probably killed an evening to create.

With regard to the latest one, that scene has possibilities, but probably not with available light. The challenges are the light sources that are in the image and the lack of light in places where you really need it, such as on the train. That scene calls for some Alien Bees, or equipment like that, which can put light where you want it and eliminate the need for longer exposures. Obviously, going nuclear would be a learning curve. If I lived closer to a steam railroad, I might consider going nuclear. Since I have to travel by plane to reach most of my subjects, hauling around a ton of lights, stands, triggers, batteries etc. just isn't an option. I have great respect and admiration for folks like you who will spend hours after a long workday, possibly freezing your butts off and sacrificing a good night's sleep.....only to come home with nothing usable. Maybe I will develop that kind of patience after I retire........but probably not!

My RP stuff is here.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:05 PM   #17
Milepost 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

Thanks for all replies,

Bob Jordan
I would be curious to know how you approached this shot. The lights aren't streaky or blurred - It's a beautiful night shot. I have a lot of trouble in low light situations. The photo below is the one I am referring to.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/720113/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chicago Christmas.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	9908  

Last edited by Milepost 58; 07-10-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add image
Old 07-10-2021, 01:09 AM   #18
RobJor

Snip

With regard to the latest one, that scene has possibilities, but probably not with available light. The challenges are the light sources that are in the image and the lack of light in places where you really need it, such as on the train. That scene calls for some Alien Bees, or equipment like that, which can put light where you want it and eliminate the need for longer exposures. Obviously, going nuclear would be a learning curve. If I lived closer to a steam railroad, I might consider going nuclear. Since I have to travel by plane to reach most of my subjects, hauling around a ton of lights, stands, triggers, batteries etc. just isn't an option. I have great respect and admiration for folks like you who will spend hours after a long workday, possibly freezing your butts off and sacrificing a good night's sleep.....only to come home with nothing usable. Maybe I will develop that kind of patience after I retire........but probably not! [/quote]

I am with you, working with lighting and doing it right requires a lot of attention to detail and effort I am not inclined to do. I don't even want to think about it in winter plus to really do it well almost requires two people to set up, do test flashes, make adjustments. Unfortunately in the case of my example a small setup would have worked with a few flashed on low power.

Bob