Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
kml928

Default High Sun question?

I am not familair with the high sun rejection reason, but I got one for the 1st time today. The sun was not directly overhead at the time I shot this, sort of over my shoulder to the right maybe 2 o'clock angle if that helps (as you can tell by the rocks and tree shadows). I thought the lighting in the shot when I processed looked ok, bc the whole side of the train is well lit, but I guess not.

Any hope of an appeal or advice on this?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=968540322
kml928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

The sun was working against you. Yu could have gotten Backlit or Poor Lighting instead. The shadow on opart ofthe trucks is a problem.

Joe
Old 04-14-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
UCRP93

This may be off topic - but if you don't mind my asking, just how do you get to that spot at Horseshoe Curve? I have been familiar with the area for about three or four years now, and still haven't found the way of getting there, or to the elevated "shelf" above the MP 241 signals east of the Curve. Any help would be appreciated, kml928.

Click here to see my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here to see my videos on YouTube

One of very few people that like CSX and GE both!!

UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
kml928

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCRP93 View Post
This may be off topic - but if you don't mind my asking, just how do you get to that spot at Horseshoe Curve? I have been familiar with the area for about three or four years now, and still haven't found the way of getting there, or to the elevated "shelf" above the MP 241 signals east of the Curve. Any help would be appreciated, kml928.
Sure, no problem.

To get to this spot, it was quite an ordeal at least the way we did it.

I drove through the tunnel past the park that goes under the curve, then parked on the right side of the road where there is a small pulloff in the gravel. Then we had to hike back along this side of the road until you get to where the hill and tunnel are (facing the curve now the tunnel and road on your right).

Then we had to climb the steep hillside up to where there is the old roadbed/trail/dirt road right near the 242 milepost at the tracks. Its a very steep climb and I dont think I would do this in warmer weather (timber rattle snakes). Once at the top you have to walk along the treeline with the ballast/tracks just to your left and there will be another trail near this spot that goes up into the mountain (no idea where it goes). There are a bunch of rocks and spots to climb up the hillside alot for elevated shots.

I have only been there twice now, but like I was warned, there can be rattle snakes all over in warmer weather (didnt see any when we were there) and the ticks are bad so be careful.

I want to find out also how to get to the elevated areas on the north side (east) near the PRR signal bridge where you can still see the park area and also the other elevated spots further east of the signal bridge but I havnt found any way to access those yet.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The sun was working against you. Yu could have gotten Backlit or Poor Lighting instead. The shadow on opart ofthe trucks is a problem.
Bingo. Joe nailed it. The only time you could possibly get decent light there is a small window late on a summer afternoon if the sun is above the treeline. By the looks of it, you shot this in the early afternoon, so it's got no chance. This is one of many spots on the hill where the WB shot works, and you hope for helpers on eastbounds.

- Chris
Old 04-14-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
cblaz

Not to be a dick, but another note for railfans trying this spot and the east side ledge: Both spots are trespassing on NS property, so if you are caught, leave with your tails between your legs. Don't whine and moan and think you belong and make it worse for the rest of us who leave only footprints.

- Chris
Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml928 View Post
Sure, no problem.

To get to this spot, it was quite an ordeal at least the way we did it.

I drove through the tunnel past the park that goes under the curve, then parked on the right side of the road where there is a small pulloff in the gravel. Then we had to hike back along this side of the road until you get to where the hill and tunnel are (facing the curve now the tunnel and road on your right).

Then we had to climb the steep hillside up to where there is the old roadbed/trail/dirt road right near the 242 milepost at the tracks. Its a very steep climb and I dont think I would do this in warmer weather (timber rattle snakes). Once at the top you have to walk along the treeline with the ballast/tracks just to your left and there will be another trail near this spot that goes up into the mountain (no idea where it goes). There are a bunch of rocks and spots to climb up the hillside alot for elevated shots.

I have only been there twice now, but like I was warned, there can be rattle snakes all over in warmer weather (didnt see any when we were there) and the ticks are bad so be careful.

I want to find out also how to get to the elevated areas on the north side (east) near the PRR signal bridge where you can still see the park area and also the other elevated spots further east of the signal bridge but I havnt found any way to access those yet.
Back in the days of easy access, there would usually be a small gathering of fans on the backside of where this shot is. There was an access road that led to the old tree lined ROW that took off behind where you are standing; the abandoned line would be on the right side of 242 after you go through the tunnel. When they finally shut off that access to the ROW, we would just park the car and hike up the ROW to the backside of the curve.

But then again those were the days; haven't been there in, gosh, over 10 years now. Damn I'm gettin' old....

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
UCRP93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Not to be a dick, but another note for railfans trying this spot and the east side ledge: Both spots are trespassing on NS property, so if you are caught, leave with your tails between your legs. Don't whine and moan and think you belong and make it worse for the rest of us who leave only footprints.

- Chris
Who said we'd whine and moan? We know how to handle the situation.

Also, I don't believe the shelf above the MP 241 signals is owned by Norfolk Southern. That is pretty far from the tracks and NS property. If anything, it is owned by the state of Pennsylvania, or the National Parks System. I see Four-wheelers and ATV's over on that shelf all the time.

Thanks for the info, by the way, Keith. I appreciate it.

Click here to see my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here to see my videos on YouTube

One of very few people that like CSX and GE both!!

UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
kml928

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCRP93 View Post
Who said we'd whine and moan? We know how to handle the situation.

Also, I don't believe the shelf above the MP 241 signals is owned by Norfolk Southern. That is pretty far from the tracks and NS property. If anything, it is owned by the state of Pennsylvania, or the National Parks System. I see Four-wheelers and ATV's over on that shelf all the time.

Thanks for the info, by the way, Keith. I appreciate it.
I have heard from a Yahoo Group that 150 yards in any direction of the curve tracks is NS property and that was supposedly told to them by a NS public relations person. I dont see how that is possible considering that would mean they own the rights to the road, the park, half the mountainsides and even parts of the water reservoir, so that cant be accurate.

I also have seen MANY ATV riders up on those trails and in plain view of numerous passing trains. I would think if that was known tresspassing areas they would have been called in to the local Altoona NS cop by the crews.

All I know is for all the shots I have taken up there I never once have stepped onto or crossed the tracks.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Just to be clear, I've never been here, so I don't know if it's railrod property or not. But what the heck? You're trusting people on ATVs to stick to public property? That's pretty funny, actually, that you'd think someone on an ATV, just some random person you probably don't know, wojld know or care where the property line is. I've seen folks on ATVs ride the actual railroad tracks. I doubt they care about the railroad police, but as a railfan with a camera, you should care.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
kml928

No that's not what I was saying, there's no way I'm gonna think "hey, guys on atvs are up there it must be public property". What my point was that they are up there on Atvs all the time and trains clearly see them but don't seem to ever call them in to the local NS cop. So bc of how often people are up there it must not be a priority of Ns to keep them out of that spot and it's really not that close to the tracks at all. Theres plenty of public spots to shoot from in PA that are much closer to the tracks then those outer overlooks on the curve up there. Now of course that doesn't mean people should be flocking to those spots and camping out, that's just inviting trouble.

I think thats prob what he meant too.

Last edited by kml928; 04-16-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #12
odie

I think sometimes high sun is used interchangeably with backlit sometimes. I got high sun on one last week, and the shot was taken at 5:51 PM.
odie is offline   Reply With Quote