Old 07-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #51
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml928 View Post
The problem isnt the standards they want to set bc its their site, they can do what they want. The problem is they need to set standards and every one of the screeners needs to stay within those standards.
How can you have standards for photography? And where on this site do you see the word "standard" in terms of the screening? That's right, nowhere. Photography is subjective so having standards that 5 people need to follow is impossible. "Only shots from this time to this time." "Only at this angle." "Shadows can't be this long or at this angle." Okay, what about silhouette shots or night shots or...? Do you see how ridiculous that is? Guidelines are in place but no two shots are EVER alike so each get screened on their OWN merits.

Quote:
I have tried to learn what this site wants, but its impossible, bc theres an extreme inconsistency in their screening of photos.
Duh, there are 5 different screeners with 5 different backgrounds, education (in terms of photography) and experience. Shoot for yourself and upload for yourself. If it doesn't get on, so what? Send it to a magazine or put it on Flickr or your own site. I don't understand whats so hard about that.

Just because you think every shot you take is God' gift to the railroad photography world doesn't mean it is. Try to be at least a little more humble. No need for hissy fits. Send your work into magazines and you're dealing with the same process just even more strict because they want specifics, newsworthy, or artistic not run-of-the-mill mainline stuff.

Ever think of holding onto a shot during "high sun" for a time when it isn't present like the fall or winter?

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #52
khalucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
For example, the highways to the Jersey Shore were bumper to bumper from Thursday evening all through yesterday.
Boy, I don't miss that. I used to live in Dover Twp, think it is Toms River Twp now, in front of mile post 86 on the GSP heading south. It would be bonkers out there!

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #53
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Heres the clincher, practically DIRECT OVERHEAD sunlight, but hey its accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...89339&nseq=139
Usually I don't get involved in these, but...I would like the record to note that there was no sun for this shot. There were only clouds overhead. I actually almost had trouble getting a sufficient shutter speed due to the thickness of the clouds. So...that would make your comparison completely and totally off-base.

After that, I won't make any more comments.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #54
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Cool

Quote:
The problem isnt the standards they want to set bc its their site, they can do what they want. The problem is they need to set standards and every one of the screeners needs to stay within those standards.
No they don't. They can do what they want. If they decide today to start accepting cloudy day shots, then that's it.

I'm sure AB2 and the others have a parameter that the Chris' has imposed, and yet I'm also reasonably sure that there is an accepted license for subjective creativity given. If AB2 and the others get outside that boundary, I'm sure the Chris' reign them back in somehow. Those are just my suspicions.

IMO, you've really, REALLY got to grasp the undeniable concept that the owners of this site can do and accept what they want, AND that a rejection is a comment and constructive criticism made to you and not the group, because the group did not submit the photo.

In my previous line of work as an operations manager, I was faced every day with the "yes, I was late this morning, but so-and-so was late too, and you're not talking to him!", or "yes, I pulled the wrong order, but so-and-so did so-and-so!" And in every case, I sat back and said "We are not talking about so-and-so, we're talking about you and YOUR situation. What anyone else does has no bearing on YOUR lack of adherence to the rules".

And as much as it hurts I'm sure (cry all the rest of us a river), we've all felt slighted at some time here, but most of us have got over it and realized that the admin here were talking to us in the same manner. It's called "managing expectations" with a dose of "conflict resolution".

I also dealt with employees who were quick to resort to invective in a vain attempt to bully their way out of a disciplinary situation, and in every one of those situations, when the invective began was when the discussion was over and case closed, no matter what the preponderance of evidence. And that, I suspect, is what will eventually take place here if the current tough talk continues; just a word of advice.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #55
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

It's like a strike zone in baseball. The only way to get true screener consistency..... well, wait a minute. There's no way to really get screener consistency. I know what I might like today might not be what I like tomorrow. I may see things differently one day than the other. Today I might like every shot I see in the database, tomorrow I mighht like one shot on the first three pages.

If we can't be consistenet in what we like to view or what we shoot and how we shoot it, how can we truly expect five different people to every be consistent with each other? Some may call a high strike, some may call a ball on the outer part of the plate. And just like an umpire in aseball, they're always going to piss someone off when that person gets a third strike called low at the knees.

(Been listening to the Braves on the radio alll week.)
Old 07-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #56
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

All in all they do just fine. Do they miss some yea, some get in and some good one get misted and don't get in? The one thing I wish for is more freedom on cropping, photographer choice unless its triable. 98% of the time i am with them on fixing things but some times its what are they thinking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #57
odie

I don't get this guy. I've tried to help him out via private message before, but never a response. I guess it is easier to complain.
odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #58
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Red face Letting of steam......

....is a good thing. I hate it when I get a picture rejected. And no question there is considerable inconsistency....that is the nature of screeners being human and excising a whole lot of judgement, not only dealing with objective technical standards, but inherently subjective issues like composition and how interesting or historic is the subject matter.

After rejections it is good to write looooooong diatribes about poor judgement, unfair treatment, and so on. Really lay it on, provide examples, make those darn screeners fully understand just what miserable worthless creatures they are

.....and then hit the DELETE button. By that I have accomplished two things. One, my hurt feelings are massaged. And most importantly, I have not embarrassed myself in front of the world.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #59
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
.....and then hit the DELETE button.
I have done that before myself. When maybe I let rejections get to me too much, I'd bitch and moan -- can't remember if I linked to examples or not -- and then I'd leave the pagge open and walk away from the compuuter. By the time I got back, it usually dawned on me that none ofthis was that important and, besides, maybe my photograph wasn't really the best I could do anyway.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #60
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
......and, besides, maybe my photograph wasn't really the best I could do anyway.
This is not unusual for me at all. Once I have peeled myself off the ceiling, I figure if the screener rejected the image, there was something about it he didn't like. There is a message buried in there somewhere. It might or might not have anything at all to do with the stated rejection reasons (which seem to be generated by a random number generator), but there was something he didn't like. So I usually play around with the image and it is not unusual to end up resubmitting a version that is noticeably better, and usually gets accepted the second time around.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #61
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Ooooo, I've got more to add. Screening seems pretty consistent to me:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=833491131
^This is the exact same westbound train from the original rejected photo in question^

Should have linked to this earlier.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Slopes09; 07-06-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #62
rathman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Go change your tampon and come back when your not acting like a toolbag.......
That just made my night!

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #63
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Toasting in A Epic Bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule View Post
Sounds like Keith needs to join another banned member's Yahoo group. He would be right at home over there where conspiracy theories abound....
By the way his rants and fail comparisons sound, Keith Lambert might be a made up name....
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #64
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain View Post
By the way his rants and fail comparisons sound, Keith Lambert might be a made up name....
Keith has been around a while and if the implication was that Keith was Danny V., we all know that rat would never have jumped off the thread without being banned. Keith has also started other threads bitching about backlighting.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 07-06-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #65
JimThias

Quote:
Keith has been around a while and if the implication was that Keith was Danny V., we all know that rat would never have jumped off the thread without being banned. Keith has also started other threads bitching about backlighting.
No way is Keith a front for danny boy. His grammar and spelling is too good for "the rat." Also, I doubt Keith is a 50-something year-old stock boy at the local dollar store, either.

However, that doesn't mean he isn't one of his minions.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #66
lock4244

I have to admit that the shot is not without it's merit. I think it just needs to be cropped tighter to get rid of much of the train going away from the photographer and emphasize the well lit leader. The train approaching the photographer has a well lit nose and if cropped closer it would draw the eye away from the backlit objects and the high sun. rememeber, the best trick to using high sun is head-on, and this shot is head on, just distant. I don't think a shadow on the already dark pilot is bad at all... unless you've got a thin for pilots. I don't think all backlighting is fatal so long as it doesn't dominate the shot. In this crop, it does, but loose some of that other train and it might work. That assumes the heat waves don't kill it, but they would. Needs to be shot on a cooler day.

But WTF, I suppose I'm in the minority here...

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 07-06-2009 at 11:16 PM.
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:34 AM   #67
Dennis A. Livesey

Wow, some of the best of RP getting upset about rejections... I can't honestly remember my last one...The first and second one, yes indeed!..I guess that I have been trained so well by RP now I know what will get in or if not, I forget completely after moving on...

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #68
Watain
-_-

Quote:
Keith has also started other threads bitching about backlighting.
I cant say that I have never complained about a rejection, but when new(er) guys like this come in here and start comparing their crappy rejected photo. To a(most of the time) nice accepted image, it's borderline annoying. This is not a hard hobby, so why make it hard?

A simple tutorial for the OP.

1. Pick up camera

2. Go stand next to the tracks before 10 A.M and after 4:30(my area respectively) with the sun at your back(look at where your shadow is pointing).

3. Wait for train to come, frame it then shoot it.

4. Crop, Level, Sharpen, Adjust color.

5. Upload to RP.

6. ?????

7. Profit!!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #69
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

If I uploaded everything that I thought would get accepted, like I used to, I could easily have hundreds more photos on here. That would get really boring really fast and most of then wouldn't get many views. Metras look the same today as they did in 2006, so why upload the same angle of the same train in the same spot? Thats what Flickr's for, this is a website for your best stuff, not all your stuff.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #70
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain View Post
5. Upload to RP.

6. ?????

7. Profit!!
I don't know how many people will get the reference, but it may me laugh out loud in my office and know my coworkers think I'm a crazy man. Thanks, Wayne.

- Chris
/"Hey, what's Phase 2?"
"Phase 1: We collect underpants."
"Yeah, yeah, yeah, but what about Phase 2?"
"Well Phase 3 is profit. Get it?"
Still one of the best episodes ever.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #71
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
think I'm a crazy man.
I thought they already knew...
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #72
Watain
-_-

Quote:
I don't know how many people will get the reference, but it may me laugh out loud in my office and know my coworkers think I'm a crazy man. Thanks, Wayne.
No problem Chris.