Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #26
gregorygrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytrain View Post
I hate to say it, but could the site be trying to distance itself from the lawsuit?
What does that have to with anything? All of my photos were accepted way after that even started. I've been in that for almost 3 years, way before I even started uploading to this site. I doubt that has anything to do with this.
gregorygrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #27
tytrain

EDIT: Removed unwanted speculation.

Last edited by tytrain; 05-02-2013 at 08:20 PM.
tytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
I hate to say it, but could the site be trying to distance itself from the lawsuit?
I didn't put two and two together on the name even though I had heard about this story before. But to answer your question, no. And to ask you a question, why would they?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Quote:
I mean, I don't think it does. Unfortunately, lack of information means we're all speculating here.
Stop trolling.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #30
tytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Stop trolling.
Please understand, it was not my intent to troll. Others had posted their own speculation/suppositions, I made mine. If that came across as irrelevant or disrespectful to the site/its owners, that was not my intent.

I know, I'm new here.

Last edited by tytrain; 05-02-2013 at 08:24 PM.
tytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
nikos1

Thats very stupid speculation, why would they want to distance themselves for that.
Better speculation: Greg weren't you one of the people sending in bad pics for that April fools thing?

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #32
JimThias

Quote:
Only one person suggested creating a new account and I suspect he was being sarcastic.
Facetious, actually.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #33
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Hum................

So Kent, why don't you submit that photo in this thread?

I would expect it to get accepted if it were formatted right.
It just doesn't seem like what they want here, and that's OK with me. It's a people shot, taken on a cloudy day, and only a part of the engine is showing (which is basically a back drop for the people.) I have some of the sunny day engine shots they would like, of course. Every foamer does.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #34
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crosby View Post
1. But at my level of proficiency (high level beginner, I think), and with somewhat limited access to photographers who can help me in the specific ways I've needed, working on improving shots based on rejection reasons has been a primary source of education. The feedback I've gotten from you forum regulars, of course, has been even more helpful.

2. My point is - the acceptance of a problematic shot represents to me that I've learned something useful about mistakes I'd been making. I don't place huge value on acceptance otherwise.

3. One indication I've improved is that almost all my rejections are for undersharp these days. I used to get lots of bad cropping, bad lighting, high sun, poor contrast. Still see those occasionally, of course, but the mistakes I've made more recently compared to last year tell me I've moved up a step or two.
1. OK, that's a good point. If you have limited access to local photographers that can help you, especially. Early on, I learned from my local newspaper photographer (I'd buy him lunch,) and a couple of very serious wildlife photographers. You might consider joining a local camera club. I will say the feedback here is actually pretty darn good, all in all.

2. Personally, my thinking is if an image is failing 3 or 4 times, it just isn't that great to start with. I would move on and try something different. It is great that you feel you are improving--usually that comes bit by bit. And sometimes you get a great epiphany and suddenly a whole lot becomes very clear!

3. Most photos fail NOT because of technical reasons, but because of weak composition. That's kind of hard to teach but many here are making a valiant effort. What I always advise is to FIRST evaluate the light, and base the composition on effective use of it. Another thing to keep in mind is just how subjective evaluating a photo can be. I've had to judge photo contests before, and also "score" photos for the North Central region camera clubs (NC4.) Really, it's very hard to pick a "best" one. There are usually a bunch of equivalently good ones. While everyone can usually agree on what's "bad," it's much harder to agree on what's "good." To complicate things here, there is a railfan "orthodoxy" that must be followed. Not coming from that tradition, I had no idea about the "nose coupled" faux pas mentioned in another thread.

Kent in SD
Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #35
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
It just doesn't seem like what they want here, and that's OK with me. It's a people shot, taken on a cloudy day, and only a part of the engine is showing (which is basically a back drop for the people.) I have some of the sunny day engine shots they would like, of course. Every foamer does.

Kent in SD
Well, If it were mine, I would have submitted it.

I have quite a few "human interest" shots in the DB.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #36
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Stop trolling.
Only "I am allowed to "Troll."

But you are also known as a Troll on FB.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #37
troy12n
Banned

Quote:

I think I can troll with the best of them. Get back to me after you spend a year in jail.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #38
Andrew Crosby

Kent - Thanks for your thoughts regarding my earlier comments. A camera club is a great idea. I've thought about it before, but felt too naive. I've developed a better understanding of fundamentals here, though, that is sure seems time to make the move.
Andrew Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #39
jdirelan87

A photography club is a good idea, but certainly not necessary. Cameras are so easy to use and there is so much information available on the internet almost anybody can become a self taught pro. Your number one resource for train photography; the answer should be pretty obviously - RP.net. I considered myself to be a very technically proficient photographer when I started posting on RP, but the 'artistry' was lacking somewhat. After a few years of studying the really good photogs on this site, I look back on shots I took before joining and almost laugh at how bad they are. Like anything worth doing, photography takes time!
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #40
Andrew Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
A photography club is a good idea, but certainly not necessary. Cameras are so easy to use and there is so much information available on the internet almost anybody can become a self taught pro. Your number one resource for train photography; the answer should be pretty obviously - RP.net. I considered myself to be a very technically proficient photographer when I started posting on RP, but the 'artistry' was lacking somewhat. After a few years of studying the really good photogs on this site, I look back on shots I took before joining and almost laugh at how bad they are. Like anything worth doing, photography takes time!
Duely noted, JD. And I doubt I'll ever stray far from RP, especially since I'm only recently feeling comfortable participating on the forum.

But I do want to branch out and learn more about photography in general. Truth be told, it hasn't come easy to me. I need to be shown and told many things, and spending time in direct contact with others is what I've been lacking. I must say I have met up with many railfans in the last two years, and they've been great. But I still need to ask about so many basics, and don't want to pester them when they inadvertantly talk over my head.

I think spending time with a camera club, and shooting subjects in addition to trains, will help me develop a better understanding of the craft. Then I will be on a more equal footing with you guys.
Andrew Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #41
JRMDC

Quote:
Holl, are you talking about tytrain or Joe?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #42
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post

While I'll agree that camera club membership is not essential, what it often does is subject you to input from many different folks with many different skills in a short amount of time. You interact in person, often in the field. Cameras are simple machines and I see them as the least important thing in photography. What I see as the most important thing is learning how to use light effectively. (Both ideas given to me in person by NatGeo photographer Jim Brandenburg.) Being able to go in the field with an experienced person to discuss light & composition on the spot is something an internet forum really can't compete with. I joined my local camera club after a couple of decades of shooting and selling photos on my own. Even with that, I found myself learning yet more as I was able to interact with pro wedding, newspaper, and commercial photographers along with serious (i.e. selling shots) nature & wildlife photographers, discussing how & why photos were made. I learned several important concepts this way much faster than I would have by reading on the internet. A bonus is I learned about a lot of different photography disciplines and became a more versatile photographer.

Kent in SD
Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #43
tytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I hope not me - I barely use Facebook anymore!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #44
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Yuk yuk yuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Gorj Corgi Williamson - "JOE HINSIN IS A TROLL"

https://www.facebook.com/railpricks
Old 05-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #45
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Facetious, actually.
I thought it was sardonic.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #46
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
...While everyone can usually agree on what's "bad," it's much harder to agree on what's "good." To complicate things here, there is a railfan "orthodoxy" that must be followed. Not coming from that tradition, I had no idea about the "nose coupled" faux pas mentioned in another thread...Kent in SD
Great point, Kent! We could discuss ad infinitum all the "rules" of orthodox railfan photography. In truth, there's nothing wrong at all with a nose-coupled shot. It could be central to a fantastic and innovative piece of composition. But---it's considered heresy among the truly hard-core train photographers, for somewhat obvious reasons.

I've always maintained that most rejections should be for straight-up technical reasons (sharpness, leveling, contrast, color, etc.). "Bad composition" is a squirrely area of subjectivity. "Bad motive" is one where you should seek absolution, if you're Catholic (or from your local elder, if you're a foot-washing Old Regular Baptist from central Appalachia).
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #47
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Bad Motive - what was that rejection for, I have never seen it on this Site?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #48
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Bad Motive - what was that rejection for, I have never seen it on this Site?
It was replaced by the PEQ rejection. Bad Motive was RP's way of saying you should have kept your -ss in the house.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #49
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:

That was actually Joe Hinsin.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #50
gregorygrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Thats very stupid speculation, why would they want to distance themselves for that.
Better speculation: Greg weren't you one of the people sending in bad pics for that April fools thing?
I was invited to that thing on Facebook but never partook in it. It was just funny to see what they submitted. Even though getting photos accepted to the site are not a main priority in my life, I do enjoy getting tips from them on how to improve and getting photos accepted to this site yields a larger viewing party than other sites.
gregorygrice is offline   Reply With Quote