Old 10-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia
Default Econo Lodge: What are they like?

I'm a member of Qantas' Frequent Flyer programme. Choice Hotels, of which Econo Lodge is a part of, give you 600 Qantas Frequent Flyer points for each night you stay. Having never stayed in an Econo Lodge before, I have no idea what they're like. Are they worth staying there for the 600 frequent flyer points I'd earn each night?

TIA!
Stephen.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callufrax
I'm a member of Qantas' Frequent Flyer programme. Choice Hotels, of which Econo Lodge is a part of, give you 600 Qantas Frequent Flyer points for each night you stay. Having never stayed in an Econo Lodge before, I have no idea what they're like. Are they worth staying there for the 600 frequent flyer points I'd earn each night?
I'm not a big fan. While I haven't stayed at many, the ones I've seen haven't been that great. The one in Mohave (near Tehachapi) is an absolute dump, and is $10 more a night than the Motel 6, which is really clean and nice (for a Motel 6).

Check out www.tripadvisor.com .. I've never found a hotel that didn't have at least one review on there. I find that the reviews are usually pretty indicative of what you're going to find when you actually get there.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:

TIA!
Stephen.
I may be reading this wrong, but if the program is affiliated with Choice Hotels, I'd say you'd be better off staying at a Comfort Inn and Quality Inn although they are a bit more pricey. I've actually been staying at Econo Lodges quite frequently lately, although I am not picky about their quality as long as is reasonably clean, has a bed and a shower. The one in Rutland, VT was actually one of the nicer rooms I have been in, but for $120 (ski season) a night it better have been! The one in Binghamton, NY last weekend was the standard hotel room. I guess it depends on the area, you need to consider who would usually be staying there and why (gross.) and the surrounding areas. If it is the only hotel at that particular exit and surrounding exits do not have hotels then I would avoid it since they do not have to 'compete' as hard as if there were 4 or 5 other companies next door. It's business and can be confusing but I hope I explained clearly enough.

For a simple answer, I would take it if it is in a "nice" area and there are other chains around and the outside looks good. I believe there are sites where people rate the individual hotel and make comments about them; this may make your decision easier.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Frederick

Quote:

TIA!
Stephen.
Stay away from cheap chain motels, they often have rock-hard beds, highway noise, etc. Econo Lodge and Travellodge (I think they're the same thing) are two places I'd avoid.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Callufrax
?

It also includes Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Cambria Suites, and MainStay Suites. After flipping through the Choice Hotels directory, I'm now looking at Comfort Inn and Quality Inn.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Callufrax
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
Stay away from cheap chain motels, they often have rock-hard beds, highway noise, etc. Econo Lodge and Travellodge (I think they're the same thing) are two places I'd avoid.
I've only stayed at one Travelodge, so I can't really compare. The one I did stay at was in Croydon (in Greater London), about a five minute walk from East Croydon station. It was clean, and the beds seemed fine. Though, it's location would probably have something to do with that.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Confort Inn and Quality Inn are both good hotels. Also check out http://www.tripadvisor.com/ they help alot, people write reviews and everything about the hotel.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #8
bigbassloyd

I'd rather sleep in my car than stay in an econo-lodge.

on the other hand, I've never had a bad room in any Choice / Comfort / Sleep inns

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
I'd rather sleep in my car than stay in an econo-lodge.

on the other hand, I've never had a bad room in any Choice / Comfort / Sleep inns

Loyd L.
I'm with ya Loyd. At least you know the heat/AC works in your car, and when it gets too noisy in the AM, which is the case at most any hotel that I've stayed (just not Econlodge), you can just leave and find somewhere quieter. I've stayed at Econolodge a few times. 1 time we were supposed to have a fridge both nights. Never got one the first night, and we had to remind them the second night. Another time, there was "paperwork" in the toilet. I tried to flush it down, and the flapper was DCed from the handle. I call the front desk, and an hour later, still broke. I ended up putting on mu plumber title and fixing it myself cuz nature was calling.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
strikefour

There was econo lodge where i live, but i think they lost the rights to be called an Econo lodge.
strikefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:48 AM   #11
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefour
There was econo lodge where i live, but i think they lost the rights to be called an Econo lodge.
Or the owners decided to break away from the franchise.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #12
U-3-b

We stayed in a Econo Lodge in Fargo two weeks ago and other than the fact the first room we got (non-smoking) smelled like smoke and the second room the beds were kinda on the small size, it wasn't that bad. I think I would stay in one again.
U-3-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:25 AM   #13
MILWfan

The Econo Lodge in Salem Oregon was a dump, the pool had a somewhat greenish cooler(no I did not use it) the rooms were dirty and there was a strange white stain in the corner that I can only guess the origin.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:37 AM   #14
Callufrax
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWfan
The Econo Lodge in Salem Oregon was a dump, the pool had a somewhat greenish cooler(no I did not use it) the rooms were dirty and there was a strange white stain in the corner that I can only guess the origin.
I'm surprised they're allowed to continue operating, with conditions like that.