Old 11-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Missabefan
Senior Member
 
Missabefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 344
Default Do these do anything for anybody?

Attachment 4819 The original

Attachment 4817 1st attempt

Attachment 4818 2nd attempt

I tried to submit the color version shot and it received the "PEQ" rejection. I went back and am trying a B/W version for the fun of it. Am I on the right track or way off? I have never dabbled in the B/W before and am just playing around. I have PSE 7.0 for editing. I hope to get some feedback on what to do with these.

As always
Thanks in advance!!

Missabefan
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Missabefan; 05-29-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,964
Default

I like the second B&W version. Not sure I'd say submitt after the color got the PEQ. Was there part hanging down that got cut off?
__________________
Joseph C. Hinson Photography
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
Missabefan
Senior Member
 
Missabefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 344
Default

The part that cut off was some of the chain attaching the lock itself to the stand plus the switch handle. I wanted to get the fallen flag RR DM&IR name stamp to be clear enough to make out and the switch itself in the backround. Any idea why it would get the PEQ in the first place?
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,195
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

Hard to tell. I guess some shots are not enough "creative" enough for the screeners. I think it's a cool shot, and I might have accepted it (might of done some work to the composition).

I guess it's simply, not something they're wishing to publish.

Chase
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

I'm thinking it got the "PEQ" because of the safety issue portrayed. Like standing in the gauge, this shows a broken safety rule, an UNLOCKED and thus dangerous switch.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
cblaz
Senior Member
 
cblaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marlboro, New Jersey
Posts: 1,007
Default

Create a thread about why a shot got rejected. Get advice on how to fix a shot.

Wait a few weeks. Create a new thread about the same rejected shot. Rinse and repeat.

Let me jump in my time machine and see what I have to say about this shot (posted 10-18-09):
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Shots of railroad locks have been posted on RP before, and I like the way you did this where you can see the switch mechanism. You say the lock hasn't been used for years. Is it still there? Could you go back and redo the shot under dramatic lighting conditions? Maybe some real low light would make it pop more.
The previous thread: http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=11005

- Chris
__________________
- Christopher Blaszczyk
My shots on RP: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=284
cblaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Cool

Hmmm. Missed it the first time 'round.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:54 AM   #8
BarrySr
Senior Member
 
BarrySr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Tx.; home of the Texas Chokers
Posts: 225
Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Create a thread about why a shot got rejected. Get advice on how to fix a shot.

Wait a few weeks. Create a new thread about the same rejected shot. Rinse and repeat.

Let me jump in my time machine and see what I have to say about this shot (posted 10-18-09):


The previous thread: http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=11005

- Chris


__________________
BarrySr
KE5YYR


"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"


"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

____________________

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I'm thinking it got the "PEQ" because of the safety issue portrayed. Like standing in the gauge, this shows a broken safety rule, an UNLOCKED and thus dangerous switch.
Have you ever been around railroading? That is not a dangerous switch, and defiantly not a broken safety rule, unless it is a mainline switch that has been reported lined and locked.

Also, why would it get PEQ? Is it the photographers fault that a safety rule is being "broken"? No, he simply captured the scene as he saw it.
Methinks derailed cars and jackknifed engines are safety violations, yet those aren't PEQ...
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
That is not a dangerous switch, and defiantly not a broken safety rule, unless it is a mainline switch that has been reported lined and locked.
So we the viewers "defiantly" know it is/is not a mainline switch because...?

MAYBE on your museum trackage they don't care about safety though I doubt it. As you point out above, however, they do on mainline or real railroads.

You have asked for opinions before on RP. I have offered same but you in the assuredness of youth did not care for the answer. In this particular instance, I just was relaying the fact that RP does not wish to encourage unsafe, trespassing behavior. And again, you are critical of my answer.

Max, you have made these and other statements on RP that attest to your newbie status here and in the world. I suggest you just listen, or be polite in what you say since your jejune opinions need maturation.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Missabefan
Senior Member
 
Missabefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 344
Default

Oh boy! I was gone a few days and it seems my thread was taken out of context.

What I had thought I originally asked was an opinion about the color to black and white conversion for the shot I attached. Not about the PEQ rejection for the color version. I DID NOT submit the B/W to RP. All I wanted was an honest opinion/criticism about my attempt at B/W from some of the pros and ways to improve it. If it is bad I wanted to know. If it's O.K. I wanted to know.

I DID NOT want to re-hash my color attempt and it's rejection in the old time machine. I could care less about the safety/trespassing/mainline/unsafe/museum trackage etc. aspects that are involved and what is implied and what is truth. When I submitted the shot originally in color I did include the story of where it was ( a line that has NOT been used since 2001 on private property and taken with permission) and what RR's where involved in both the description and notes to the screeners.

Again all I wanted was to see if the B/W conversion was any good. Not name calling etc.

Sorry for any confusion!
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #12
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
So we the viewers "defiantly" know it is/is not a mainline switch because...?

MAYBE on your museum trackage they don't care about safety though I doubt it. As you point out above, however, they do on mainline or real railroads.

You have asked for opinions before on RP. I have offered same but you in the assuredness of youth did not care for the answer. In this particular instance, I just was relaying the fact that RP does not wish to encourage unsafe, trespassing behavior. And again, you are critical of my answer.

Max, you have made these and other statements on RP that attest to your newbie status here and in the world. I suggest you just listen, or be polite in what you say since your jejune opinions need maturation.
You may attack my youth all you would like yet you still danced around my statement. In what way is that a dangerous switch? The lever is not going to move if the metal of the switch lock is engaged, and it is not a safety violation.

I also am not sure why you took a shot at any museum not caring about safety, unless it is that you misunderstood my statement. By mainline, I did not mean Class 1 I was implying a switch connected to the mainline, such as in dark territory where the switch MUST be reported and lined and locked for the mainline. This means the lock is engaged and clasped. If, for example, a run-around is being done, the conductor would not re-clasp the switch when it was lined for the siding as the engine went by. It would simply be a waste of time. That's how the BNSF, CN and CP do it around here at least so feel free to correct them.

Also, the last statement of yours was blasphemous. I have never bucked advice from anyone on this forum, I have always taken everything said into consideration, but apparently if I offer my own opinion on my photo it is not needed. I believe what your referring to is when I asked you why you think an open door on engine would be an automatic PEQ, with my argument being that it is a natural part of railroading. You again offered no concrete explanation and skipped around it.

I do not appreciate being patronized for my age when I offer an opinion. I felt your statement was incorrect and something that could influence someone calling the railroad police and taking up their time over a non-threatening matter.

But I do like the shot Todd, and the b/w conversion.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #13
Missabefan
Senior Member
 
Missabefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 344
Default

Well the debate is over. I submitted the B/W and it can now gather the 250 views it deserves

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=303125

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #14
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,195
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
You may attack my youth all you would like yet you still danced around my statement. In what way is that a dangerous switch? The lever is not going to move if the metal of the switch lock is engaged, and it is not a safety violation.
I hate to inform you of this, but yes, it is a safety violation. I live on an NS non-signaled line, or in other words, TWC territory. Once they clear track authority, dispatcher asks them if any switches were handled in the track authority. The crew will then either reply back with "yes, one mainline switch was handled, this switch has been lined and locked back for mainline movement as intended at such and such location" or will respond with "no, zero switches were handled in the track authority". The dispatcher will document this and all is well.

If a switch is unlocked (such as shown in the above photo), the crew could get in a lot of trouble as well as the dispatcher. All it takes is a railfan or some other twit to come along and throw the switch for the opposite direction. Then, needless to say, a derailment could occur.

I think Dennis had valid points, that were not mean to be rude, but intended to be informative. Perhaps you should listen to his advice from this point on, and pay close attention to what you're saying prior to posting it.

If you still do not believe my statement regarding the switch, I will be more than glad to forward you a PDF file of the NS operating rulebook.

Chase
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide

Last edited by Chase55671; 11-07-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:13 AM   #15
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I hate to inform you of this, but yes, it is a safety violation. I live on an NS non-signaled line, or in other words, TWC territory. Once they clear track authority, dispatcher asks them if any switches were handled in the track authority. The crew will then either reply back with "yes, one mainline switch was handled, this switch has been lined and locked back for mainline movement as intended at such and such location" or will respond with "no, zero switches were handled in the track authority". The dispatcher will document this and all is well.

If a switch is unlocked (such as shown in the above photo), the crew could get in a lot of trouble as well as the dispatcher. All is takes is a railfan or some other twit to come along and throw the switch for the opposite direction. Then, needless to say, a derailment could occur.

I think Dennis had valid points, that were not mean to be rude, but intended to be informative. Perhaps you should listen to his advice from this point on, and pay close attention to what you're saying prior to posting it.

If you still do not believe my statement regarding the switch, I will be more than glad to forward you a PDF file of the NS operating rulebook.

Chase
With all due respect, you are correct, yet incorrect. When they void their warrant, yes all switches must be lined and locked, the same is true up here. What i'm saying is that the fact that it is unclasped does not make it a dangerous switch, we have no idea what context the picture was taken in. If the crew is running around they will leave it unclasped until it has been re-lined for the main.

I do apologize for the rude manner my first post came off as, I just dont like when people jump to conclusions.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.