Old 06-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default An old shot from February 2015

Attachment 9202
I got this shot of UP 1983 in the Nampa yards around sunset on 2/21/2015. I imagine that the glare on the side of the cab probably isn't good for the image...
What do you think? This was my first time catching any special UP unit that wasn't just a patched SP/CNW/SSW/DRGW.

Oh, by the way, when I took this picture, I was just starting to get back into railfanning after being disinterested for 7 years, and I was also just beginning to submit to railpictures.net, so I didn't know any of the important photography stuff I know now.

EDIT: Looking at the image, I see a lot of noise in the sky (noise is common to images I took with that camera...), which probably ruins this image's chances... Oh well. I don't use the iSO45 for photography anymore, ever since I got my Coolpix L340.

Last edited by spacetrain1983; 02-17-2021 at 12:48 AM.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
ShortlinesUSA

Agreed, the glare kills this one, special scheme or not. This type of shot can artistically be done with the entire train in view, and is typically referred to as "glint light." Doesn't work with roster shots, though.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Agreed, the glare kills this one, special scheme or not. This type of shot can artistically be done with the entire train in view, and is typically referred to as "glint light." Doesn't work with roster shots, though.
Agreed, all that dark space doesn't help either.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
miningcamper1

A sandpaper-grain sky probably kills almost any subject matter here. Maybe a wreck or an Alco Black Maria would overcome that.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:21 AM   #5
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
A sandpaper-grain sky probably kills almost any subject matter here. Maybe a wreck or an Alco Black Maria would overcome that.
I'd look at a Black Maria with a grainy sky!
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
KevinM

When framing up a photo, it is really important to look at where your shadows are. Shadows within the frame are OK, but it's generally not good when you've got your main subject partially covered with them. Remember, your camera does not "see" the light the way your eyes do. A few shadows on the side of the subject may not seem all that distracting when you look at the scene with your eyes, but your camera will "see" those shadows looking a lot darker.

In the photo that is the subject of this thread, both the front and back trucks are half shadowed. Although you can mitigate this to some degree with skillful processing, it's just about guaranteed that RP will not want it. Remember, the rules here are really strict for common, everyday diesels. Either the light has to be really good, or the shot has to have some artistic value, in order to be accepted.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote