Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
RAILROADFANdotCOM

Send a message via AIM to RAILROADFANdotCOM
Default No reason given - rejected

This isn't my photo, but a member on my railroadfan.com forum submitted a pic here, and on his rejection page, wasn't given a reason or list of reasons why it was rejected. Anyone care to guess the reason(s)?

I'm guessing unlevel, common power, cloudy, nose not lit, bad cropping, dark.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...6&key=17159845

He's looking for some feedback as he's new to taking photos of trains(also the youngest member on my site.)
________
Honda CT200

Last edited by RAILROADFANdotCOM; 01-25-2011 at 04:15 AM.
RAILROADFANdotCOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Well, how young? If like in the early teens, it's hard to be harsh. It's hard to be harsh to anyone honestly. It just depends on how you take "harsh", but anyways, off on a tangent. It's all of the above to be honest. Should have taken the shot in a sunny location, not in a shadowed location first of all. The cropping is mediocre, I would crop in. Unlevel is an understatement. Level off of the buildings, since building HAVE to be straight. At least in a perfect world they do. Common power and cloudy? Naw, just a bad spot for sun, or lack thereof. Tell him to keep trying. Pick a sunny spot where the light is on the sides and nose of the train, try to use the rule of thirds, and make sure that the building lines are straight before taking the image so you don't have to fiddle with leveling too much in editing. Good luck to him.

Ben
Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Well, how young? If like in the early teens, it's hard to be harsh. It's hard to be harsh to anyone honestly. It just depends on how you take "harsh", but anyways, off on a tangent.
He's around the 12-14 range.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
jnohallman

I hate to say it, but aside from the unlevel, poor lighting and bad cropping, PIQ (poor image quality) might be in there also. The image looks a bit blurry to me, and I don't think it would be fixed by sharpening. Also, I suspect they didn't like the way the station is cut off. It looks like a neat location for another try, though!

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
J Douglas Moore

I strongly suggest that he spend a couple evenings looking at the accepted shots for that day. Look at them, then look at his shots. He will start to see what not to do....... Good luck

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
cblaz

Best advice for newbies. Be in an open field with the sun at your back around 5-6PM on a beautiful, sunny day. Get the hang of framing/cropping and sharpening and more before you delve into low-light photography with props, scenery, etc. Sure, you're just shooting wedgies, but you gotta learn to add 1+1 before you can do calculus.

- Chris
Old 04-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Agreed with Chris. As others mentioned, just take a look at the site and see what generally gets accepted, then you'll have an idea as to what to shoot when out in the field. It's how I started out..

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote