Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #26
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
My tongue was in my cheek (not on the cheek of someone else).

Seriously? There's no way I would want to be an RP.net screener. I don't think I would be very good at it either. Just consider the range of opinions I've had on many images here and you'll probably agree with me.
I knew where you were coming from - there were a few photographers on RP that had me echoing the same (mythical) choices for a new hobby.

As for screening - if you were to finagle a way to do so and do so on a fixed schedule (something that possibly would apply to other current screeners), we might see the return of dozens of previous patrons. Course, an RP "Re-grand opening /check out "the new" RP" might entice some... This of course would entail more then which way CW or CCW to level images.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #27
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Thanks to the admins for taking care of the problem. As for why he ripped of my shot, he lives in the Anderson, SC area where the Pickens runs. Still not sure why he took that shot. I have better.
Oh, you actually know who the person really was? I didn't catch that. Did you approach him to take it down? If so, what was his response?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #28
MagnumForce

I doubt changing screener would make anyone come back. Even if you get every shot you submit in on the first try, it is still such a hassle to upload here compared to all the flickrites.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #29
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
...an RP "Re-grand opening /check out "the new" RP" might entice some...
How about two sites?

One for the art critics and other perfectionists.

And one for those who just want interesting and reasonably well done railroad photos.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #30
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
How about two sites?

One for the art critics and other perfectionists.

And one for those who just want interesting and reasonably well done railroad photos.
Great! Double the hassle, double the rejection reasons, double the disputes, double the accusations of Nazi-ism and so forth! Great times to be had!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #31
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Great! Double the hassle, double the rejection reasons, double the disputes, double the accusations of Nazi-ism and so forth! Great times to be had!
Well, this site as it is reminds me of that feature in Popular Photography, where readers would send in their photos to be savaged by the staff critics. Sheer masochism!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #32
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Well, this site as it is reminds me of that feature in Popular Photography, where readers would send in their photos to be savaged by the staff critics. Sheer masochism!
No it's not. If you fit your photos in their nice little box, you get no pain. Boring, yes, maybe at times. But jeez, some of you act like it's some huge task to upload photos to the site, take a seat
Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #33
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
But jeez, some of you act like it's some huge task...
This goes right to a huge misconception about vintage shots. Getting them accepted is no slam dunk!
Multiple scans, multiple tweaks to each scan, maybe adjusting pixel by pixel. And they still might reject it. Even rarities!

Are the extra views here worth it? 51-49 and falling.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #34
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
This goes right to a huge misconception about vintage shots. Getting them accepted is no slam dunk!
Multiple scans, multiple tweaks to each scan, maybe adjusting pixel by pixel. And they still might reject it. Even rarities!

Are the extra views here worth it? 51-49 and falling.
Give us some examples.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #35
Mgoldman

I like the "extra" work to get the photos on here - well, 95% of it.

I like the details (all the fields) - I personally find RP of much value as a database - not only for my own pics, but even more so for the hobby in general. And it makes the search feature second to none - though there certainly is room for improvements that would seem easy to initiate.

And I like the captions - most photos on FLICKR and especially FB are simply uploaded as pretty pics. Where? I don't know. When? I don't know. What is it? Why should I care? You're lucky if you get anything but a pretty pic, and even a pretty pic is sporadic at best.

The other work - well, I don't mind a second pair of eyes (or in my case, 2 pair of second eyes, after a reject). I want my images to be level (to with in a degree, however, not a pubic hair). I want them exposed correctly and the right temperature, and exposure, ect., ect.

The hassle is the nit picking and bias for compositions that are neither good nor bad, just not of the style of a particular screener. Seems comments to the screener are written in invisible text.

So - no, not two sites, just one with some more compassion /tolerance.

A new screener - or simple schedules of certain screeners already on board would certainly bring some ex-patrons back, though the above recommendation makes much more sense.

/Mitch

PS - miningcamper1 - no examples necessary. If your image was not taken with the sun over your shoulder, you're already into more then one step in your photo editor - keep adding more as you go further back in time or further away from sunny day wedges.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:09 AM   #36
bigbassloyd

Here's my guide to effortless usage of Railpictures.

I go out and have a great time shooting trains. I may be solo and have time to reflect on the past, work out upcoming issues in the real world, etc. or I may be with friends, and focus on bullcrapping and making jokes. I come home to dump the card(s). I select my favorites from the trip and editing them to my liking. I share a few on facebook, and throw them into a folder called 'photos for web'. Once in a while I get a wild hair to select one for uploading here. I upload it, and continue on with life. If it's accepted, great. If it's rejected, I usually do nothing and soon forget about it. Being completely honest, I would have to think long and hard to remember what was rejected, and pick them out from the 'photos for web' folder (1537 photos currently).

Pain free guys. Try it once.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 08-13-2014 at 12:13 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #37
JimThias

I'm with Loyd, although I'm a bit lazier than him and only get around to submitting a new photo once every four or five months.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #38
Mgoldman

It's the database aspect of RP that makes that nonchalant attitude of posting pics on RP a bit more frustrating.

For me - FLICKR is just a random collage of images usually devoid of meaning outside of being pretty pics. Same with FB, and even TO's to some extent - any site outside of RP to me is (was) - "look at these pics I took and what I saw".

Because RP is a database in addition to a place for pretty pics, some of us like to complete the story line. What's here, why it matters, what does this location look like, what can be found here, what exists and what no longer does, who am I, what is my style - all told hopefully with creative compositions or at least perfect technical skill. Unlike all those other sites out there, pics on RP represent a collection that can be pulled up at will. Other sites (other then your own) are one shot and gone. RP is a catalog and it's a shame so many pages are omitted from the current (and past) line of vendors.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 08-13-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:37 AM   #39
Freericks
Met Fan

For a long time I actively tried to add to the database (especially obscure display locomotives and forgotten train stations). The frustration of some biz trips on which I didn't have time to shoot around and collect that stuff was a realization that I had to let it go. If I get it, I get it. If I don't. I don't. Seems the owners don't see this as a data base as much as I do anyway.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:38 AM   #40
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Give us some examples.
Two they took (after LOTS of work), and two they wouldn't take:

Image © miningcamper
PhotoID: 417537
Photograph © miningcamper
Image © miningcamper
PhotoID: 398737
Photograph © miningcamper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6941871378_7e51b2352f_b.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	550.4 KB
ID:	8715   Click image for larger version

Name:	6758931241_1b9531f37a_b.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	661.0 KB
ID:	8716  

Last edited by miningcamper1; 08-13-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 AM   #41
Freericks
Met Fan

Kind of shocked they didn't take those two...

separately, that May 1970 NKP 759 run was my first RR photo. Do we know each other from NJ in the 1970s?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #42
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Do we know each other from NJ in the 1970s?
Probably not. My focus changed to spots like Whitefield, St. Johnsbury, White River Junction, oh, and the beloved D&H. Then Colorado and Montana,
Old 08-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #43
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I'm with Loyd, although I'm a bit lazier than him and only get around to submitting a new photo once every four or five months.
Our total shots taken to upload percentage may even up the lazy factor.

For 2014, I've taken roughly 8500 railroad photos so far. I figure I've uploaded 17-19, with 16 accepted, so my percentage is around .002235 percent.

Loyd L.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #44
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
For 2014, I've taken roughly 8500 railroad photos so far.
Loyd L.
That's probably more then Michael Allen and John West took throughout their entire life.

/Mitch
Old 08-13-2014, 03:00 AM   #45
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Here's my guide to effortless usage of Railpictures.

I go out and have a great time shooting trains. I may be solo and have time to reflect on the past, work out upcoming issues in the real world, etc. or I may be with friends, and focus on bullcrapping and making jokes. I come home to dump the card(s). I select my favorites from the trip and editing them to my liking. I share a few on facebook, and throw them into a folder called 'photos for web'. Once in a while I get a wild hair to select one for uploading here. I upload it, and continue on with life. If it's accepted, great. If it's rejected, I usually do nothing and soon forget about it. Being completely honest, I would have to think long and hard to remember what was rejected, and pick them out from the 'photos for web' folder (1537 photos currently).

Pain free guys. Try it once.

Loyd L.
Loyd, I swear...that's exactly what I do---to the letter! The only variation is I have a huge inventory of slides and some negatives (old shots) I scan from time to time to add to the mix.

I think I have six or seven pretty good shots from my recent trip to Cincinnati, but I haven't uploaded any of them to RP.net. I might, or might not. I have sent them around to some of my buddies to show them what I got. Oh....and I did put a few on Flickr.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:02 AM   #46
Ron Flanary

Quote:
It's the database aspect of RP that makes that nonchalant attitude of posting pics on RP a bit more frustrating.

For me - FLICKR is just a random collage of images usually devoid of meaning outside of being pretty pics. Same with FB, and even TO's to some extent - any site outside of RP to me is (was) - "look at these pics I took and what I saw".

/Mitch
I realize that RP.net is a data-driven site, with great emphasis on documentation. I'll have to admit, though, that's not really my "thing." I'm a long time believer that a good shot has to make an immediate impact on the viewer. After that, the data is secondary.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:16 AM   #47
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I realize that RP.net is a data-driven site, with great emphasis on documentation. I'll have to admit, though, that's not really my "thing." I'm a long time believer that a good shot has to make an immediate impact on the viewer. After that, the data is secondary.
Say what you will, lol!

Those are mighty long and detailed - and enjoyable captions.

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 490684
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 492601
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Collection of Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 398849
Photograph © Collection of Ron Flanary

/Mitch
Old 08-13-2014, 03:29 AM   #48
bigbassloyd

Quote:
That's probably more then Michael Allen and John West took throughout their entire life.

/Mitch
Digital film is much cheaper though.

Loyd L.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #49
MagnumForce

Again, I can search on Flickr and find anything as well as I can here except loco numbers. Detailed captions are a must on flickr and they are searched. I only search among my contacts, not all of Flickr, you can find whatever you want that way, it just takes a while to build your contact list.

If the image is crap I could care less about the info give. RR picture archives is utter crap in every way possible and has more info than RP.

I hung out with a bunch of guys who I really look up to from a photography standpoint this Sunday, I don't think any of them are normal rp contributors, all are on Flickr. Not shooting at all for RP just has brought the fun back for me, I don;t care what it looks like when I shoot. I just shoot and get the best results I can for the conditions.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #50
JimThias

Quote:
Our total shots taken to upload percentage may even up the lazy factor.

For 2014, I've taken roughly 8500 railroad photos so far. I figure I've uploaded 17-19, with 16 accepted, so my percentage is around .002235 percent.

Loyd
Whoa, you've got me beat there. However, you have a lot more opportunities than me to shoot trains. Move to my area and that 8500 number might drop to 85.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote