Old 02-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #1
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Default Backlit

This is one of my favorite shots I have taken. I have a large metal print of it hanging n my wall and it has sold off of my web site more than any other L&C shot. But they did not agree with my comment to the screener that I thought the backlighting worked here.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...49&key=2956068

I'm not mad about it. It's their web site and the shot IS backlit. But I love the effect. Maybe I am too close to the shot
Old 02-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
KevinM

I'm not certain why the screener would be preoccupied with the image being backlit as I would not classify the nose of this locomotive as dark. In fact, I would probably pull the "Lights" slider on the Lightroom Tone Curve back just a tad on this shot. That would make the exposure more appealing....at least to me.

WRT the level issue, the rejection is probably legit. The station building is definitely leaning to the right. Correcting with a CCW rotation and then perhaps a vertical perspective correction might get most of the verticals looking vertical.

As you say, it's probably not worth getting upset. Anytime you're asking to post images on someone else's site, it's their taste that counts.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I do notice the building leaning. This is a different edit than the one I have hanging on my wall and I think it needed rotating by 1% CCW. It's a little odd to me that the screener added the unlevel rejection as it would seem to me that the backlit rejection means the shot is a certain no go
Old 02-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #4
br_railphotos

The screeners like to be thorough, I suppose so all their gripes can be corrected (or at least revealed) at once. This would limit rejections and speed up the process in the long run, I imagine.

The lean isn't much, but enough that it was one of the first things I noticed. Looks to be leaning, perhaps, 0.3-0.4? Maybe just a tad more contrast, as well, but the black and white points look fine.
br_railphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
baggydave

Looks good to me, even the supposed lean. Not backlit though. i would say sidelit.
Now if you want backlit
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...69&key=6248484
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:20 AM   #6
RobJor

Nice work Dave.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #7
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
Looks good to me, even the supposed lean. Not backlit though. i would say sidelit.
Now if you want backlit
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...69&key=6248484
I like it Dave. It's long been my contention that the best way to front page exposure is to point your camera into the light. It's also a fast track to rejection, and it's hard to see the dividing line.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
baggydave

Thanks Doug, I have always appreciated your "likes" on my flickr page so thanks again. I love backlit pictures. I have to, seeing that my local railway, Tanfield, runs south to north and gives me no other option. Seems to me that it is very much pot luck if a picture is accepted or not. Picture of the week is backlit so what's the problem with others
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote