Old 05-16-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
bbrant

Default Poor Image Quality

I submitted a photo and was hit with a Poor Image Quality rejection which I wasn't expecting. I looked at it on a different monitor and I can see it's oversharpened but, outside of that, I don't see anything that would lead to it being "poor quality".

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...12&key=2236295

A second set of eyes and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
Joseph Cermak

It looks alright to me from an image quality perspective, I'd be more concerned about the wires passing across the lead unit.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
RobJor

Not a good judge of IQ but I would start over on this one. Assuming decent camera, lens and setting, should not have PIQ. Starting in RAW I get myself in trouble with the sliders, start with clean slate including no presets if you use them and make minimum adjustment. I'd look to crop left, add some contrast and maybe use a shot r 2 earlier (see above post).

I know not what you asked but my thoughts.
Note to screener what you did.

Bob

If you resubmit you want to address PIQ by noting reprocessed.

Last edited by RobJor; 05-16-2022 at 06:34 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
bbrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
It looks alright to me from an image quality perspective, I'd be more concerned about the wires passing across the lead unit.
I thought so too. I have a couple frames before the wires. Maybe I'll try one of those. We'll see.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
bbrant

Thanks Bob. I'm a little skeptical about reworking this since the high screener supreme already said it's essentially a no-no to resubmit. LOL

I was shooting with a Canon 5D Mark III and (going from memory - yikes!) at I believe 100 or 200 ISO, f8 and 1/400 which shouldn't make for a poor quality photo.

If worse comes to worse, there's always the option to go out and reshoot/try again. Darn, my arm would really have to be twisted to do that. LOL
Old 05-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #6
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrant View Post
Thanks Bob. I'm a little skeptical about reworking this since the high screener supreme already said it's essentially a no-no to resubmit. LOL

I was shooting with a Canon 5D Mark III and (going from memory - yikes!) at I believe 100 or 200 ISO, f8 and 1/400 which shouldn't make for a poor quality photo.

If worse comes to worse, there's always the option to go out and reshoot/try again. Darn, my arm would really have to be twisted to do that. LOL
I had a period a long while back where I got some of these, and it was due to something weird happening with my export settings. If the raw image out of the camera is fine from a quality perspective, this isn't necessarily something you couldn't resubmit.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:20 PM   #7
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrant View Post
I agree. Even the lowest-end DSLR or mirrorless camera being sold these days should produce excellent results. Typically, a PIQ results from something we do to it during post-production. Often, it is making sure that the pixel dimensions of the resized image are in the proper proportions to the crop. But as Bob mentioned, you can get too aggressive with certain sliders and with sharpening.

The old saying goes that airplanes don't crash.....PILOTS crash. Unfortunately, it works the same way with cameras and photographers. Been there, done that, probably still have a few examples on RP that somehow got past the screen.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote