Old 09-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
SamD

Default Huh?

A few weeks back I submitted the attached image, only to have it rejected for high light and bad motive. However, today, I found this image which is of a comparable subject matter.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=118293

I get that the light's better in the linked photo, but as far as motive goes, what makes the subject of that picture acceptable, and the the subject of mine not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balesttrain[sm]_filtered.jpg (71.4 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by SamD; 09-14-2005 at 08:08 PM.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Ween

Quote:
I get that the light's better in the linked photo, but as far as motive goes, what makes the subject of that picture acceptable, and the the subject of mine not?
Fair question; I'll give it a shot. It's not Bad Motive in the sense that you shouldn't be shooting MoW equipment. They regularly accept MoW shots here. Here're ones I've had accepted:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 66146
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 101107

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 113925

Where I think the Bad Motive comes from is the fact that you shot this piece of MoW equipment behind a chain link fence. Perhaps it should have received a Foreground Clutter or Distracting Object rejection instead of the Bad Motive, but if you think about it, it can make sense. Your motive was poor to shoot this shot with a chain link fence between you and the subject. Make sense?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
SamD

I guess that could be it, but the fence really doesn't obscure anything, or distract from the subject. And since there is a rejection catagory specificly for obstructions, I find it kind of strange to use bad motive for that.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:26 PM   #4
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Even if the picture had better lighting, it would probably be rejected for foreground clutter. The fence is distracting.

Why the screener selected "bad motive", who knows? Have you tried appealing your photo? Maybe you would get a better answer that we can provide here.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

I think the photo you compaired yours to is far better than yours. Your focus is at best poor and the lighting bad. It probably has nothing to do with subject matter or the fence.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
SamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I think the photo you compaired yours to is far better than yours. Your focus is at best poor and the lighting bad. It probably has nothing to do with subject matter or the fence.
I wasn't comparing the quality of the two photos, just their subject matter. As far as your contention the rejection has nothing to do with the subject matter, I really can’t agree with you on that when the subject matter was one of two the express reasons I was given.

The lighting problems are a result of scanning from a print and having the contrast get messed up, but I’m not about to go to all the trouble of fighting with my scanner over contrast settings if subject in the print isn’t something that’s wanted. I still haven’t gotten a clear answer about the “bad motive” rejection, as quite clearly similar subjects appear here, which is what I’m honestly curious about.

To, Ru1056

I thought about an appeal, but since the lighting is still an issue I decided against it. I have another picture taken at the same time, from a different angle that might yield better results lighting wise when scanned, but I wanted to clear up this bad motive thing before I went any further. So far, the fence seems to be the most likely submission killer.

Well, thanks for the advice. Since all my pictures of the ballast train either have that fence, or have far more distracting clutter, I guess this will have to stay in my private collection.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:29 AM   #7
Ween

Quote:
the fence really doesn't obscure anything, or distract from the subject.
Yes, it does.

Quote:
And since there is a rejection catagory specificly for obstructions, I find it kind of strange to use bad motive for that.
Well, I can't speak for the screener, but from my point of view, foreground clutter/distracting object rejections are used more for poles or weeds or other maybe non-obvious type obstructions. Perhaps when it comes to a chain link fence running the entire length of the subject, Bad Motive can be interpretted to mean "You should have known better."

Either way, wondering why the rejection was labled Bad Motive doesn't change anything. You know MoW shots are accepted here, so it's not your intent to upload MoW photos that's the problem. Worry about the lighting and getting the contrast right when you scan, and don't spend energy wondering about the motivation behind the Bad Motive reject...
Old 09-15-2005, 02:41 AM   #8
LAHDPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Well, I can't speak for the screener, but from my point of view, foreground clutter/distracting object rejections are used more for poles or weeds or other maybe non-obvious type obstructions. Perhaps when it comes to a chain link fence running the entire length of the subject, Bad Motive can be interpretted to mean "You should have known better."

Either way, wondering why the rejection was labled Bad Motive doesn't change anything. You know MoW shots are accepted here, so it's not your intent to upload MoW photos that's the problem. Worry about the lighting and getting the contrast right when you scan, and don't spend energy wondering about the motivation behind the Bad Motive reject...
What he said. Exactly. If there's a fence there, don't even stop to shoot unless it's a derailment.

I didn't say it was your fault.... I said I was going to blame you.

Click Here to see my rp.net photos.

Click Here to see my "personal collection"
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:52 AM   #9
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Even though its been said a billion times, I will repeat it. Shoot the picture, you shouldn't not take it just becuase you don't think it will be accepted here, just don't submit it here and expect to get it accepted. Shoot for yourself, not just for RP.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote