Old 08-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
SteveGiebink

You need a tripod....
SteveGiebink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Ween

Quote:
Need some help
First, when shooting at night, never handhold the camera. Use a tripod like was suggested before or find something sturdy to rest the camera on.

Second, for the bridge/sunset shots, those usually aren't accepted (ther are exceptions). But it's better to have a train in the shot.

Your best bet is to look through the database, say here:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphot...daterange=week

and compare what your shots look like with what's been accepted. If yours aren't looking relatively similar, then chances are they're not going to make it.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Railfan Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGiebink
You need a tripod....
This covers a good part of it. I have only tried a few night shots, but I have found that in low light the camera generally needs to be still.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Tennispro4ever

Default ok. I'll try some of those.

I'm fairly new at this, but how come in some of my shots, the light are going in random directions??? is that cause of my camera or because i'm moving? Also do you guys have any suggestions for me?
Tennispro4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennispro4ever
I'm fairly new at this, but how come in some of my shots, the light are going in random directions??? is that cause of my camera or because i'm moving? Also do you guys have any suggestions for me?
I have one, and there's no way for me to not requote the previous posts. Get a tripod. I took a look at your first rejected shot. The movement of the signal indicates that you were moving the camera. What you need to do is mount the camera on the tripod and set it to delay the shutter for a specific amount of seconds. Then, activate the camera that amount of seconds before you want it to take the shot, and it will be steady, since your hand pushing the button will not shake the camera during the time the shot will be taken.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
JRMDC

Among many suggestions that one could make, here's one, in reference to the two near the end which are not night shots. A shot with overwhelming sun and blah sky generally does not work. Either you need a more interesting sunset, or you need some interesting silhouette or glint of an interesting object. In the one or two I am looking at, the sun is just a very bright light, obliterating everything.

I am pretty inexperienced at sunset shooting, but here is one that worked for me; I would not call it representative of the genre, however. I suggest you go through the screeners' choice shots; in the last few months there have been many fabulous shots involving silhouettes, sunsets, and glint.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 174510
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 08-24-2007 at 07:55 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
I'm fairly new at this, but how come in some of my shots, the light are going in random directions??? is that cause of my camera or because i'm moving?
Yes, you are moving. It appears that you are removing the camera from your eye and pointing it downward before the shutter has closed. Perhaps you are not realizing that the shutter is still open as the camera tries to capture more light in the darkness with a long exposure. Are you on auto? Are you aware of the shutter speed; are you choosing it?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #9
Carl Becker

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 189870
Photograph © Carl Becker

It's not a screener's choice by any means, but it turned out good. I was definitely satisfied with my first attempt at a glint shot...
Old 08-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
Ween

Just to jump on the bandwagon, here's one of my shots taken at sunset:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 100223
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus
Old 08-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Tennispro4ever

I'm not even sure what my shutter speed is. I used to use auto but I went to a night shot selection. I was messing around with my camera and i'm not able to change any manual settings with the shutter speed or exposure time.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
Carl Becker

Quote:
I'm not even sure what my shutter speed is. I used to use auto but I went to a night shot selection. I was messing around with my camera and i'm not able to change any manual settings with the shutter speed or exposure time.
What kind of camera are you using?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
JRMDC

There will always be limitations because you can't get to manual settings. Keeping that in mind, you can still have fun and maybe get some successful or interesting shots by a) using a tripod, and b) making sure you don't disturb anything until you are sure the shutter has closed. Good luck!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
Tennispro4ever

I am using a Digital Stylus 300 Camera made by Olympus. It's a pretty nice camera considering it's several years old. I'm not sure, i'm still trying to mess with it, but so far no luck
Old 08-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #15
Carl Becker

Quote:
I am using a Digital Stylus 300 Camera made by Olympus. It's a pretty nice camera considering it's several years old. I'm not sure, i'm still trying to mess with it, but so far no luck

Do you have the original instruction book for it? That would be a big help for you. Also, try looking online such as on Google for advice:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...tal+Stylus+300
Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #16
Tennispro4ever

i might have it somewhere. I havn't had to use it for many years but I will look or it or search online and see what i can find. Thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
I have an Olympus D-550 3.0 mp camera and would NEVER consider using that for RP photos. Five years ago, maybe...but the quality standards are too high these days. I'd be surprised if anyone is getting photos accepted from cameras in the 3mp range these days. Perhaps it happens, but certainly not as frequently as a few years ago. Just take a look at some of the older pictures in the database that would get zapped in a second for poor image quality.

The bar has been raised for image quality on RP, and you need to raise the bar in camera quality if you want to see your photos on here.

(Ok, anyone shooting with a 3mp camera and getting pics accepted here...let me have it! haha)
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #18
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
(Ok, anyone shooting with a 3mp camera and getting pics accepted here...let me have it! haha)
Is 4 MP close enough? My dad uses a 4 MP camera. I was fortunate enough to get a new one last December (and not receive his) - ironically mine is what replaced his in production, a 6 MP version.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:04 AM   #19
wab1189

(Ok, anyone shooting with a 3mp camera and getting pics accepted here...let me have it! haha)[/quote]

LOL Me! I'm using a 3.2mp camera right now. Things are going to change soon though! I was using a Nikon N4004S with a 28-70mm Tamron AF lens but it broke back in March and I'm stuck with what I have now. I'm not happy with what I'm using either!!!
wab1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:22 AM   #20
Tennispro4ever

I would buy a new camera but I'm Unfortunately very poor. I do however have Photoshop CS, Would i be able to use some filters and effects to sharpen up and increase the image quality?? I have taken over 30 pics so far with this camera that actually might make it on here if I can increase the image quality.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
I would buy a new camera but I'm Unfortunately very poor. I do however have Photoshop CS, Would i be able to use some filters and effects to sharpen up and increase the image quality?? I have taken over 30 pics so far with this camera that actually might make it on here if I can increase the image quality.
Not for any of the photos you listed above. Show us some daytime train movement pictures and we'll let you know.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #22
scottychaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias

All taken with a 3 megapixel camera!

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=4669

(except for the 1980's photos, which are neg scans)

IMO, digital cameras reached "film quality" at 3 megapixels..and anything higher that that cant be seen by the human eye anyway.

unless you are making giant poster-size enlargements, or cropping out tiny parts of the picture..then more megapixels matter..but for photos resized to 1024 pixels wide and posted on RP.net, there is no difference between a 3 megapixel camera and a 500bazillion megapixel camera.

Scot
scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #23
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottychaos
unless you are making giant poster-size enlargements, or cropping out tiny parts of the picture..then more megapixels matter..but for photos resized to 1024 pixels wide and posted on RP.net, there is no difference between a 3 megapixel camera and a 500bazillion megapixel camera.

Scot
I have two disagreements. First, as someone mentioned recently in another thread (Mitch?), if you need to rotate to get an image level, you need pixels. As someone who usually needs to rotate an image, this matters to me. Rotation puts a big strain on resolution.

Second, the problem with 3mp sensors is that they tend to be in lower quality cameras with poorer glass. So it's not the sensor that is the problem, but you get the quality problem nonetheless.

Now, if you use an old DSLR, it's not a problem (the Canon 1D has "only" 4.1mp, but you can put "L" lenses in front of that sensor).

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #24
Ween

Quote:
there is no difference between a 3 megapixel camera and a 500bazillion megapixel camera.
Sure there is. As J mentioned, there are factors that can bring out the limitations of lesser MPs. But, if you know the strengths of your camera and what it can shoot, 3 MP produces images more than good enough for RP...
Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #25
scottychaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Second, the problem with 3mp sensors is that they tend to be in lower quality cameras with poorer glass. So it's not the sensor that is the problem, but you get the quality problem nonetheless.
Not if you are using a 3 megapixel camera from 2001, when 3 megapixels were top of the line.

In a few years, you will be able to say "the problem with 10mp sensors is that they tend to be in lower quality cameras with poorer glass."

thats does not mean 10mp cameras today are low quality!
quite the opposite really..
same with 3mp cameras from a few years ago.

Scot

Last edited by scottychaos; 08-27-2007 at 04:52 PM.
scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote