ID:	9863  
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:32 AM   #2
Grewup on the CW

Dude..............totally awesome
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
Milepost 58

Curious what shutter speed you used here. I have only had 4 or 5 opportunities to shoot a plow train, or a train hitting a high bank of snow. I seem to have issues with the flying snow creating blur, not just with the snow but the train as well. Not sure if it's my shutter speed, the auto focus, or simply user error. ( most likely ) Here in upstate NY, 90% of the time, it's so gloomy that I'm lucky if I can shoot 1/320, even with the ISO adjusted.
Milepost 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
KevinM

I'm thinking that the reason it was rejected was because it depicts a photographer engaged in a very risky activity......meaning YOU'RE TOO DAMN CLOSE!

Ten years ago, I was fortunate to attend a rotary run on the White Pass & Yukon Route, up in British Columbia. During the pre-departure safety brief, they told us that they wanted us to stay 100 ft. back from the rotary on the discharge side, because the snow they were plowing had accumulated over an entire winter, and in some cases, the stuff was extremely dense.....basically ice.

At one point, a small group of us were perched on an outcropping of rock, in an area called "Canadian Shed", which was, in fact, covered with a snow shed back in the day. The rotary was attacking a dense, deep snow pack and was being assisted by Caterpillar Bulldozers. Although they were throwing the snow on the same side as us, they were making almost no progress, so it seemed safe enough, and of course, we were getting some great pictures. And then suddenly, they started to break through. We all quickly realized that our "safe" location was no longer safe. I shot one quick pic and turned to run:

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 372125
Photograph © Kevin Madore

In a heartbeat, one of the claws on my snowshoes caught on something and I took a header in the snow. I managed to save the camera and then scrambled quickly on all fours. Behind me, I could hear the heavy stuff impacting. Fortunately, I did not get hit. Another guy behind me did, but was not hurt. He was basically cleaning the snow out of his coat and his camera bag for the rest of the day. Moral of the story is that you have always assume that snow removal operations could be throwing some stuff that is potentially injurious or even lethal.

I constantly remind myself that no photo is worth wrecking my gear or getting hurt.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #5
RobJor

I understand fully what Kevin is saying but looking at 24mm FF I was not that close but I think it was more angle of track and that I caught the spray was a surprise.

I don't think you shoot these type of shots without getting coated once in a while, I have shot hundreds. Rotary is another story as the will pick up and throw any crap.

Anyway, I was shooting continuous and turned my head. Camera lost focus but recovered for this shot. Velocity was low at that distance, certainly less than the snowball fights we had in grade school. It was not unusual for some to pack them with gravel but they were kids from Taylor street in Chicago.

Odd setting, not sure why 250th/f22, ISO 200 but probably worked well as the debris closed in.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Distance.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	605.1 KB
ID:	9867  
Old 02-20-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
KevinM

Interesting. You were further away than I thought. I suspect that the stuff thrown by the plow traveled further than normal, because it was a snowbank created by the street plows, which was likely more dense material. Still, the shooting position looked at least marginally safe.....until you look at the subsequent frame. I think that shot got rejected for a couple of reasons. First, you can't really tell it's a train causing the snow explosion, and second....in that subsequent frame you do look like you got pummeled, implying....you were way too close.

WRT the camera settings, were you in some sort of automatic mode?

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:51 PM   #7
RobJor

WRT the camera settings, were you in some sort of automatic mode?[/quote]

I was in auto and wanted more f-stop and had adjusted and think with late arrival I messed up, not a combo I would choose on purpose.

I understand the rejection, it was a long shot but thought to give it a try. I'd mention the other post noting being punished for too many rejections which of course leads to safe submissions. Another one like this and that might be me.

Even tho i noticed a recent screeners choice and another from same person would be ones I put in the no chance in heck category at least for me. I have stuff like that I would never think of.....

Bob