Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Warton GR4

Default Thoughts please...

Hi,
Yes, I've had 2 more rejections. One's for bad dark so I'll just go tweak the exposure on that one and try it again. This one has been done for bad angle. Yes, some could say I don't learn and it is going away, but the rules don't say it's the be all and end all and in this situation, I was framing with the name plate and getting the second loco in, thoughts please:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=414283231

Cheers,
Mark
Warton GR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

It's a fine shot but looking the wrong away and the drivers are blocked. Hope that helps but going away photos never get in or almost never.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Warton GR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
It's a fine shot but looking the wrong away and the drivers are blocked. Hope that helps but going away photos never get in or almost never.
It doesn't really help as it just doesn't make any sense to me. A train is a train is train, if you photograph it from the left, right, front, back, underneath or from the top, going away or coming towards, it's still a train! I did take photos from the front but that was the more interesting angle. Frankly I get bored of seeing page after page of coming towards the camera 3/4 front angles, I'd rather see other more unusual angles like this one!

To make matters worse my dark photo that I've brighten up has now been done for Bad Crop. Yes it's a 3/4 front shot but I've tried to make it a stronger shot using the low angle. Not good enough apparently:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=811827&key=0

Any thoughts please, I'm loosing my mind here!
Mark
Old 05-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

It's just not really a good shot. It looks like a grab shot without any real thouhgt put into the composition. Maybe if the second engine was facing toward us and we weren't just seeing a rather uninteresting angle of a boring tender, it would have a better chance. Instead, we're seeing the most unappealing part of two steam engines. The focus does look tack sharp on the engine closest to us though. But the screener told you why he rejected it. You could appeal; I wouldn't suggest it. But I doubt you'll find very many of us agrreeing with your POV on this one.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warton GR4 View Post
It doesn't really help as it just doesn't make any sense to me. A train is a train is train, if you photograph it from the left, right, front, back, underneath or from the top, going away or coming towards, it's still a train! I did take photos from the front but that was the more interesting angle. Frankly I get bored of seeing page after page of coming towards the camera 3/4 front angles, I'd rather see other more unusual angles like this one!

Mark
On the up load page it says no going away shots and there old school and picky, Takes some time to figure out what they like and it comes down to it if they don't like it wont get on good shot or not. We all get shots that don't or wont get on so don't feel bad.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Warton GR4

I hear what your both saying and I think that's the problem, I don't want to be shoe horned into the style of what these screeners want. They're basing their rules largely on very classic rules of rail photography. What Joe says about the shot showing the most unappealing part of two steam engines I just don't agree with. Saying it's a grab shot is a bit cruel, I tried various angles including shooting further back and including the cab of the near loco but the name plate in my opinion made the most interesting part so I put that in the foreground. I've shown the shots from that day including the bog standard front end ones to various photographers, none of whom are rail enthusiasts and that's the shot that drew most attention because I suspect they were purely looking at it from a photographic perspective.
Any thoughts on what I've done wrong with the second shot, I thought I might finally be onto a winner with that one.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 05-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

It doesn't work because you shot in a way to show the details of the sign but also include both engines. The shot of the locomotives don't work because the station platform is cutting the lower parts off and also you didn't leave enough breathing room on the right edge to show where the train would be heading. It looks like a grab shot because there is no focus, no point, poor composition, and no direction. You need to go tighter or looser to help the composition.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
travsirocz

2nd shot. I would crop tighter. Take off the left and the same amount off either the top or bottom to shift the subject up or down some.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Warton GR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
2nd shot. I would crop tighter. Take off the left and the same amount off either the top or bottom to shift the subject up or down some.
Thanks, I'll try that. I don't think I'm going to win with the first shot. I composed the shot to show the unusual name plate but also show it in situ, the second engine is just a bonus really filling the final third and in my opinion draws your eye out of shot without the need for any more room down the left. Like I say it went down well with a photographer friend, everyone's looking for something different in a shot.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 05-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
travsirocz

This crop has better composition for the sign. If you want to lead the eye out of the frame you need to leave an opening on the right for it to go instead of hitting a wall that was created in your composition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1006_1273350682b.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	5432  
Old 05-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
Warton GR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
This crop has better composition for the sign. If you want to lead the eye out of the frame you need to leave an opening on the right for it to go instead of hitting a wall that was created in your composition.
I can see where your coming from, it looses a lot of the platform which is a little distracting. It seems a shame to crop the second engine out completly though. I'll try a different shot from the day first and might give that one another go at a later date.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 05-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
Warton GR4

Well my bad day continues, bad crop again, I can't seem to win:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1185931992

Any thoughts on this one?
Mark
Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
JRMDC

RP does not like tight and RP does not like cut-off trailing cars. For the latter RP likes to see the entire train going back or having it cut off by an element in the shot like a building or trees.

I appreciate your not wanting to be locked in to an RP style, but in this case I think in particular that the shot is too tight according to a more universal standard.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 05-09-2010 at 07:49 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
Warton GR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
RP does not like tight and RP does not like cut-off trailing cars. For the latter RP likes to see the entire train going back or having it cut off by an element in the shot like a building or trees.

I appreciate your not wanting to be locked in to an RP style, but in this case I think in particular that the shot is too tight according to a more universal standard.
To be honest I thought I was following a universal style as it looks like the type of shot often seen on the front cover of UK steam magazines. I also went for this tight crop after this one just got rejected for being too loose a crop:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=811827&key=0

I just seem to be loosing out whatever I do, I'm not finding that happy medium at the moment!
Thanks for your help,
Mark
Old 05-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
milwman
I shoot what I like

Shoot wide for cropping later helps a ton. You just never know you may want to change up a shot. We don't have a lot of platforms in the US so there out if blocking the view of the wheels. The others covered it well, right or wrong its there website so shoot for you but if you have one that looks like it fits here try it.

Last edited by milwman; 05-09-2010 at 09:10 PM.