Old 06-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
baggydave

Default Old problem , new question

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...45&key=5573106
was rejected for being backlit. Ok it was and there is nothing I can do about it.
This line , on the north bank of the Tyne, runs north to south. There is an incline heading south so all the locomotives used have to run heading north, so that they can climb the grade.They run four trains a day starting at 11.30 am to 3 pm. There is no way that I am going to get a shot that isn't backlit . So is there any answer? Should screeners be informed of speciic conditions? Should I just shut up?
I've no idea but I hope that you are all coming out of this pandemic as we are in the UK
dave
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:13 AM   #2
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

A lot of us have had issues with the backlit rejection, but I have to admit they use it a lot. It's not a random rejection. Not to say some backlit shots don't get in. To me, backlit is the only rejection that there is no way you come back from. It's frustrating, I know, but to quote an old football coach, "it is what it is." Let it go

Good shot, by the way
Old 06-02-2021, 01:21 AM   #3
bigbassloyd

Go on a miserable day weather wise?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:34 AM   #4
KevinM

Dave,

My suggestion is to get some more side angle on the train. Show some running gear on the locomotive. While you've rendered this image about as well as it can be rendered, it is dark and none of the colors pop. The angle you've chosen is pretty much down-the-throat, which doesn't show the most interesting parts of a steam engine, other than the plume. Get as far back from the tracks as you can without going into the woods. If there's not much space available, get a super wide lens like a 14-24 or 16-35. Where there's a will there's a way, but avoid down-the-throat. Even if it gets in, it will probably bomb from a views perspective.

And yeah, I've had my shots. I'm good to go and itching to get back on the charter circuit.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:37 AM   #5
RobJor

Sorry but that bridge or whatever is a killer for me plus the rest of the scene is not attractive.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
baggydave

Many thanks for the feedback. I like the picture because of the smoke effects. The overbridge is quite deep so smoke remains there after the train has gone. The whole line though is a nightmare. Runs for approx 2 miles. Directly North to South. Access is available only on the East side, the West is nothing but industrial units and a Shopping Mall. Only scenic area is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/djhewi...in/dateposted/
and this only lasts for around 100 yards.
The reason I put this on the forum is for ideas as to how to get across these problems. Going on a cloudy day is fine , and we do have plenty of those, but I am hoping for a couple of decent days next month when this line holds its first ever gala. Two visiting engines, one iconic to the area and never been here before. I was wondering how others would tackle the problem, always in the market for fresh ideas.
Dave
Old 06-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #7
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
Many thanks for the feedback. I like the picture because of the smoke effects. The overbridge is quite deep so smoke remains there after the train has gone. The whole line though is a nightmare. Runs for approx 2 miles. Directly North to South. Access is available only on the East side, the West is nothing but industrial units and a Shopping Mall. Only scenic area is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/djhewi...in/dateposted/
and this only lasts for around 100 yards.
The reason I put this on the forum is for ideas as to how to get across these problems. Going on a cloudy day is fine , and we do have plenty of those, but I am hoping for a couple of decent days next month when this line holds its first ever gala. Two visiting engines, one iconic to the area and never been here before. I was wondering how others would tackle the problem, always in the market for fresh ideas.
Dave
Can you get access under the bridge on the right? Your angle and light might be better but cannot tell from your current pic what the view might be over there. Can you attach/reply with a google pin drop?
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
baggydave

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.00.../data=!3m1!1e3
Hope I have done this correctly!! Access technically is not available but there is a path across the railway which is used by many. View of the line restricted by large Hawthorn bushes. Can get a view from the bridge but then shows all the run down industrial area.