Old 06-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
Wyn

Default What's wrong with this one?

I still don't recieve rejection e-mails from the powers that be, so assembled masses, what's wrong with this one?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=139880

I know, the train is small, but it's yard shot.

By the way, I'm still batting 1000, I'm now 0 for 6!!
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10

The trains seem to get lost in the photo. There is too much greenery and not enough trains, which can be good but not in this situation. Maybe try again with the train a little closer to you and that might work.

As far as the e-mails go, have you checked your information entered into your account? Maybe your e-mail address is mis-spelled or the wrong address is entered entirely.

Brandon Smith
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
ssw9662

Looks like "Bad motive" to me. If the FEC train was just to the left of the BN Boxcar, it may have had a shot.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Wyn

I just checked and my e-mail address is correct in the system. That was part of the allure of the shot, trains popping out of green.

Oh well, on to try for 0 for 7.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
Super2000

Do you have a zoom lens? Try zooming in on where the tracks come together. You can still get some interesting shots. As it stands, the trains do seem to get lost in the frame. Too much green, too much sky, not enough train.

Keep trying, and that batting average might change.
Super2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Adam Amick

Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Amick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662
Looks like "Bad motive" to me. If the FEC train was just to the left of the BN Boxcar, it may have had a shot.
"Bad Motive" seems to have gained new names today, with photos of telegraph poles and snow-covered signal lights making the cut...

I'd like to see a firm description of "Bad motive", because it's subjectiveness leaves a lot to be desired.
Adam Amick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:43 AM   #7
Wyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super2000
Do you have a zoom lens? Try zooming in on where the tracks come together. You can still get some interesting shots. As it stands, the trains do seem to get lost in the frame. Too much green, too much sky, not enough train.

Keep trying, and that batting average might change.
I appreciate the input, I wanted to get the train, FEC mainline and Rt 1 all in the shot. Rt 1 pretty much follows the FEC mainline very closely for all 350 miles. Rt 1 also goes from Key West to Maine.

I'm wondering, beside green, how this is differrent than one of the vista shots from out west, lots of sky, lots of brown, not enough train.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:51 AM   #8
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Perhaps a bad angle reject? Poor Cropping? Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Amick
"Bad Motive" seems to have gained new names today, with photos of telegraph poles and snow-covered signal lights making the cut...
Well for this photo I think "Bad Motive" fits well.

Wyn has a good idea, but letting the rock train fill more of the frame, by either physical movement of the train or zoom the photo would, IMO be much improved. But he didn't so if the idea was to include the rock train, it is lost in the greenery in the background, and your eyes are drawn to the boxcar and highway in the foreground.*

I think we overlook a point with these "Bad Motive" arguments. The screeners that screen these probably would like to reject a lot more than they accept. Honestly, how many shots of another Dash-9 does this database need? I am sure there are photos accepted that the screeners don't personally like, but accept, cause it fits within the guidelines of the website. And some the screener's do like, but can't accept, because of the photo not meeting the guidelines of the website. It is certianly a two way street.

*Wyn, great idea for a photo. Beats a wedgie anytime.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote