Old 06-16-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
xrayguy

Default Just want an opinion

I would like to start out by saying, I'm only looking for your opinions. I'm not complaining about these rejects, seems there's far to much of that sometimes.
These are the dreaded "high sun" rejects even though the pictures were taken at 6:00 pm in Minnesota. The shooting postion is on the north side of the tracks which makes it a little tougher.
Is it your opinion that the rejection is because of the shadow on the trains north side?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=257844
This one also had color saturation issues, which can be repaired if needed, but the high sun question remains.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=257847

I like both of these photo's as they are my personal favorite "type" of shot. Ween is my hero for these kind of shots
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=146667

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 06-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

i think that the trains in the 2 pics are facing the sun but its not ahigh sun angel as i can see that from the shadows in the nose of the locos. and in ashots like this the direction of the track controled the lighting in the wheels and in the whole side of the train as you can see the side of trains is dark.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Ween

Aside from the color issues with the second one, this applies to both. The shadows on the nose give the appearance the sun is higher than it normally is at 6PM, but that's not the big issue here.

Based on the shadows, it looks like shooting from the south side would have been better than the north side. It gets tough up here with east-west lines late in the afternoon as you get more of a face-on sun angle which makes shooting from either side difficult.

In addition ot the side of the tracks, the images look like they suffer from too much contrast and maybe a little oversharpening. They just look a tad blown out, but maybe it's the monitor I'm looking at them on. The sky is very washed out and the white DPU bump on the cabhead of the CP unit blends right in with the sky.

Maybe try a little less harsh processing and see what that gives you, but the fact you're on the north side of the tracks may work against you.

Quote:
I like both of these photo's as they are my personal favorite "type" of shot. Ween is my hero for these kind of shots
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 146667
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus
It's nice to see fans of the telemash shot!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

It looks like the train is heading straight into the sun where it needs to be on your left shoulder to light up the side of the train. If it were real, actual high sun, there would be shadows on the nose of the train. Probably more of a poor lighting issue than high sun. But both shots appear to be slightly over exposed.

Joe
Old 06-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #5
Christopher Muller

When the sun is straight on the nose, try to get as centered on the nose as you can. The sun was straight on the nose in this shot, so I got as close as a front on shot I could without being on the tracks.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Sorry. Too tired to make sense tonight

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 06-18-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
xrayguy

Thank you gentlmen I appreciate the input.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #8
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

I'm becoming a fan of H.O.T. shots myself. They are especially nice when you can get some elevation on the subject even though it's not possible at all locations. The lighting gets very critical sometimes on those.