Old 10-07-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
Rich K

Default One of Those Days

Have you ever had "One of Those Days" when nothing seemed to go right railfanning wise? Today was one for me.

Overslept, and got started 2 hours later than intended.

Chose a primary spot to railfan that is right next to a man made reservoir. No nearby trees to hide under, and not a smidgen of shade anywhere. Oh, BTW, even though it is October 6th the weather in northern Ohio today was 85 degrees with serious humidity. The sun felt like it does in August, that is when it wasn't obscured by the huge clouds that kept popping up out of nowhere.

Train traffic was brisk, if you like shots with no light on the nose! I needed westbounds, and in 4 hours there were only 3 of them, one of which showed up just as the sun was obscured by a giant thick cloud!

Decided to relocate to a different spot. Somewhere along the 1 mile death march back to the car with sweat pouring out of me I managed to lose my lens cap. No spare in the camera bag.

Just as I arrived back at the car one of those thick dark clouds started dropping water on me. Not only did it rain, but the weather pattern was such that the rain followed me along my 14 mile ride to a different spot. Rained just enough to make it unbearably humid when the unexpected cloudburst ended and the sun began relentlessly beating down again.

Gave up and headed home at about 5pm. Eighty miles round trip, 1 lost lens cap, one hell of a sunburn, less than a handful of decent shots for the effort.

Baaaaaaaahhhhh! Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
Lee Baxter

Hi Rich,
Cant say ive had one that bad, but i have lost a cable release on one nigt shoot, and my monopod dissapeared from under Brookes feet on our recent trip, never to be seen again.
Regards Lee
Lee Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I've been having a run of bad luck. Mine mostly is being near the tracks with no trains in sight. I rarely get entire days when I can go railfanning anymore, so I hope to catch a train or two near where I live and work. Wednesday, I was training my replacemetn on the 4 a.m. to 1 p.m. shift. Since I'd been training him for 8 days and this was the last day, I left him on the live shot -- he was doing fine -- and found NS 338 waiting to head up the R line in Columbia with a CSX wide nose leading. Now it was 6 a.m. and still dark, but I had my tripod with me and set up for a shot. The second I set the camera up and pushed the shutter (on a delay_ the train started moving. I had wanted a still shot, not a blur shot, but since the light was low there was no time to get a good focus and I gave up on it.

Last Saturday was a rare day when I packed the family up in the car and we went toward Hamlet. We passed through South Carolina Centrl territory, Nucor Steel area and rode the entire Pee Dee River Railway and the only thing we saw moving were two PDRR GP16s.... way off behind some box cars switching a plant. Later in Hamlet, we mistimed some trains, others were running against the sun and then traffic just stopped. The only shots I took that day where of a just painted Pickens U18B in Laurinburg..... and that was before I realized I was shooting 400 ISO. Lots of noise in there.

The latest stretch of bad luck came when I found out I was finally getting off the morning shift. That was great news.... until I found out I was now working weekends.... literally two weeks before the Flagg Coal 0-4- #75 is coming to the South Carolina Railroad Museum. So now I can't go ride and chase the first steam engine to come to the state since 1994. (I do have tentative go ahead to shoot a story on it when they have Media Day though.)

So I can certainly feel for you for having a bad day. It's just that I've been having a bad month or two here lately.

Joe