Old 11-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
Milepost 58

Default Cloudy day strikes again

I know that it is clear here that well lit bright pictures are preferred. I had hoped that being a pan shot ( with some colorful fall foliage ) would give me a little leeway. It's not a great shot, but I think it has some merit. I tried for months to get a decent pan shot, and this was as close as I came.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...25&key=2876194
Milepost 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #2
ShortlinesUSA

From an execution standpoint, I believe that is a well done pan. I would suggest trying a much tighter crop-- just above the first distant tree line to keep some fall colors, lose the ballast pile to the front, and some of the foreground.

Try that and see what you think. If it works for your taste, give it another shot at an upload.

Nice work, regardless of whether this one ultimately joins the database.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:07 AM   #3
Milepost 58

Thanks for the input but I doubt I will try to resubmit a cloudy day shot. I always considered that rejection as final. I was tempted to appeal, but doubt that I will. I have never done that and I get the feeling they don't seem to like it.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
Milepost 58

I'm curious, when you appeal, do you get a response? I did appeal the photo in the original post, over a week ago. Just wondering if they actually notify you one way or the other? I expect it was denied again, maybe I'm just not getting notifications? Or maybe it takes that long?
Old 11-17-2021, 12:20 AM   #5
RobJor

[quote=Milepost 58;197982]I'm curious, when you appeal, do you get a response? I did appeal the photo in the original post, over a week ago. Just wondering if they actually notify you one way or the other? I expect it was denied again, maybe I'm just not getting notifications? Or maybe it takes that long?[/QUOTE

I would get notification within a day. I will try to get Mitch to comment on your photo. Big problem I see is the train cuts the image almost in half which is generally not recommended unless the foreground is special.

I liked your snow blast photo. I notice your photos because you last name is the same of a town I really liked in Montana that I would pass through on trips to SK. Culbertson, MT is on the Lewis and Clark trail along an area called the Missouri Breaks.

Bob Jordan

Added, your description does not aid your cause.

Last edited by RobJor; 11-17-2021 at 12:34 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #6
Milepost 58

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if it was just a notification glitch, which I believe has been happening lately. Also point taken on the description, but I didn't think I was revealing anything that the photo didn't show.

With early sunsets and the gloom of Upstate NY, shots of this train were hard to come by in the fall. I've never had much luck with pan shots, so I only tried them on dark days. I figure, I'm not giving up a picture if I fail, because there wasn't enough light anyway. This was the one that turned out the best so I thought I would give it a shot. I will just move on.

As for the snow shot - thanks! Winter is my favorite time of year for photos. Having just moved to a location near Cleveland, Ohio, I'm not sure it will be as dramatic as NY was.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:12 AM   #7
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I would get notification within a day. I will try to get Mitch to comment on your photo. Big problem I see is the train cuts the image almost in half which is generally not recommended unless the foreground is special.

Bob Jordan

Success! Sorry for the delay in response - I've been on another planet for the last few months...

Can't see the pic, but recall getting a glance at it earlier - GREAT SHOT!

Did it ever make it on? I can't imagine any reason nor justification for the shot not being accepted. You nailed the sharpness. It wasn't sunny, but it wasn't dark, and you did a nice job framing the sky out of the photo. You didn't get the entire locomotive, but that's far from necessary - former RP patron, Ron Flanary would often share accepted pans as such:

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 177735
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 533889
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Of course, he's had better luck on others with sharpness and getting more of the locomotives.

As for you shot - reminded me of one of my own, cloudy day pans:

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 135578
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:03 AM   #8
Milepost 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Success! Sorry for the delay in response - I've been on another planet for the last few months...

Can't see the pic, but recall getting a glance at it earlier - GREAT SHOT!

Did it ever make it on? I can't imagine any reason nor justification for the shot not being accepted. You nailed the sharpness. It wasn't sunny, but it wasn't dark, and you did a nice job framing the sky out of the photo. You didn't get the entire locomotive, but that's far from necessary - former RP patron, Ron Flanary would often share accepted pans as such:

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 177735
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 533889
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Of course, he's had better luck on others with sharpness and getting more of the locomotives.

As for you shot - reminded me of one of my own, cloudy day pans:

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 135578
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

/Mitch

Hi Mitch. The shot was never accepted. I never did get any notification that they even looked at my appeal. I was really disappointed, as I thought I had finally nailed it. Guess I just have to keep trying!
Old 12-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
RobJor

If you really believe in it you can just leave it on the back burner for a good time, start over reprocessing, maybe brighten it up a little and try again. I have at least a dozen that got in later. We have to remember the reason given for rejection might only be part of the problem so go over it.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote