Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Ron Flanary

Default New Year's Resolution

While I'm not exactly jumping up and down with excitement at the thought of standing outside on a cold, dark Appalachian nocturne, I've decided I'm gonna go out one night with my whiz-bang Nikon Digital something-or-other, a tripod, and the wired "cable release" I got last year from B&H (or whatever it's called these days) and try one of these streaks-in-the-night shots of some signals. I have a couple of spots in mind---both almost within walking distance of my home. I'll have to figure out how to do this without being attacked by a wild animal (mountain lions, bears and coyotes are common here), and without breaking my neck in the darkness. Heck, if all the younger guys can pull off these shots, I should at least try to do it myself.

I won't claim to be a Loyd Lowry or Chase Gunnoe---but that's one of my resolutions for 2012. If I have any luck, expect to see the results posted here. And if not...well, forget I mentioned it.

So, what are your photographic goals for 2012? Is it more innovation, more sunny day wedge shots, more wide angles, more teles, or just more photos in general---or something else?
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
troy12n
Banned

I resolve for my pictures to not suck so bad.

Also, I want to try to make a point to do more steam this year.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Mr. Pick

My main goal for this year is to master, or at least greatly improve, my post processing skills. I'm still crawling and haven't yet begun to walk when it comes to all this processing stuff.

I also intend to keep looking for and finding good locations for shots.

We'll be looking forward to those night shots Ron!
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
n70guy

To get something published.... in print media.
n70guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I have some specific goals:

Shoot a Pan Am Railways train west of East Deerfield
Shoot a Pan Am train in Northampton MA.
Shoot more LIRR and SEPTA

And one general goal:

Shoot more pictures better incorporating the whole scene.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I won't claim to be a Loyd Lowry or Chase Gunnoe---but that's one of my resolutions for 2012.
I hereby resolve, for 2012 or any other year, to not be Chase Gunnoe. Ugh.

Loyd, I've never met.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Shoot more slides. That's something that may not be around much longer!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

For all of us to be here and healthy in order to make a 2013 resolution.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Mgoldman

Hey Ron - if you can get one of those animals in the scene, all the better.

Which brings me to my 2012 goal

/Mitch

Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
crazytiger

I'm with Troy. I resolve to make my pics not suck so bad.

PFL
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #11
magicman_841

I just want to go out shooting as much as I can and hopefully have a good idea or two, and some luck as well.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
bigbassloyd

I was going to say I wanted to make a name for myself this year, but your kind words took care of that Ron.

I really can't come up with anything at the moment. For a full-time employee, husband, and father of 2 boys that uses cheap equipment and generally has very little time to travel and photograph. I think I'm doing ok.

Ron, the invitation to take an all expenses paid trip to Hilldale, WV for a couple days (and nights gasp!) shooting is still on the table. I'll make you a minion of the darkside yet..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #13
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I'd like to see something of mine in print other than my finger prints. I thought I've been close to getting something in Trains a time or two, but so far, it hasn't happened. That's more a goal than a resolution. I just want to keep at it. Not much money to travel. I've already had to cancel a trip planned for this past weekend (tentative plans were either for Jacksonville, Knoxville or Richmond.)

Actually, in all honesty, I hope to take disappointment better this year than in past years. I hope to catch the circus train in great light next week, but if I don't, I hope not to cuss too much. I've been wanting to get the Masters train over Cayce Riverwalk in perfect light. If I don't, I hope not to cuss like I did last week when I was 30 seconds too late for the standard Cayce Riverwalk shot of a typical NS freight led by a typical NS GE widecab.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
jnohallman

Quote:
(mountain lions, bears and coyotes are common here)
Ron,
According to the experts, there are no mountain lions east of the Mississippi - the Eastern Mountain Lion has officially been declared extinct. So, if you happen to get attacked by one, please get photographic evidence and send it to the relevant Federal authorities.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #15
Holloran Grade
Banned

Perhaps I will finally get around to dabbling in HDR.

I have been meaning to for a while, but never really actually done it.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
JimThias

I think I'll actually try a night shot again. I've been lazy for a couple of years. And now that I have four flashes, perhaps I can light up a small bridge or something.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
Ron,
According to the experts, there are no mountain lions east of the Mississippi - the Eastern Mountain Lion has officially been declared extinct. So, if you happen to get attacked by one, please get photographic evidence and send it to the relevant Federal authorities.

Jon
Although I've lived virtually my entire life in the Appalachian region, I've never hunted, and never caught a fish. I have spent a lot of time in the woods in my younger days. That said, I have LOTS of friends who are dedicated outdoorsmen.

Not long ago, one of my deer-hunting friends told me he had a video surveillance camera set up near his home. He was trying to determine if there was any deer activity. Just a few weeks ago, he was reviewing one of the files and it showed a medium sized doe walking along. Just moments behind, he saw what appeared to be a mountain lion stalking the deer. Now, I'm sure this wasn't a house cat with a glandular problem--but maybe it was something else (wildcat?).

In any event, I don't want some "critter" messing with me if I get out at night to address my 2012 resolution!
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
Mr. Pick

Quote:

In any event, I don't want some "critter" messing with me if I get out at night to address my 2012 resolution!
Just do a little singing while you're out there........that should keep you safe.....
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
WMHeilman

My goals include:

Improving my night photography.
Taking lots of pictures that make Danny V angry.
Getting to some new places. (Illinois, Virginia, New England)
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Although I've lived virtually my entire life in the Appalachian region, I've never hunted, and never caught a fish. I have spent a lot of time in the woods in my younger days. That said, I have LOTS of friends who are dedicated outdoorsmen.

Not long ago, one of my deer-hunting friends told me he had a video surveillance camera set up near his home. He was trying to determine if there was any deer activity. Just a few weeks ago, he was reviewing one of the files and it showed a medium sized doe walking along. Just moments behind, he saw what appeared to be a mountain lion stalking the deer. Now, I'm sure this wasn't a house cat with a glandular problem--but maybe it was something else (wildcat?).

Ron,

I've encountered more critters during the day than at night during my adventures in this region. I think I've taken some pretty foolish risks as well, notably sitting on a pile of rocks in the middle of the New River in June at 11pm. Those rocks are home to Rattle Snakes, Copperheads, and even Black Snakes. I'm still here!

I've seen plenty of deer (sometimes they can be threatening, especially when you invade their space, Loyd should remember this from Hawks Nest) and I've also seen a fair amount of foxes. Of course, you see the normal roadside critters as well, like possums and the occasional raccoon.

No bear yet, knock on wood.. Good luck!

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Ron,

I've encountered more critters during the day than at night during my adventures in this region. I think I've taken some pretty foolish risks as well, notably sitting on a pile of rocks in the middle of the New River in June at 11pm. Those rocks are home to Rattle Snakes, Copperheads, and even Black Snakes. I'm still here!

I've seen plenty of deer (sometimes they can be threatening, especially when you invade their space, Loyd should remember this from Hawks Nest) and I've also seen a fair amount of foxes. Of course, you see the normal roadside critters as well, like possums and the occasional raccoon.

No bear yet, knock on wood.. Good luck!

Chase
It can be pretty unnerving when you are in the middle of nowehere and you hear noises, footsteps, leaves crackling. Most of the time you have no idea WTF it is and never do. I just figure it's some sort of mouse, coon, possom, whatever. If it's something like a coyote or fox, it will not really mess with you. Something huge like a bear you will know because those would be big footsteps. When you are in WV, you may also have to watch out for a "deliverance" type scenario maybe...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
bigbassloyd

When I am by myself, I carry what I need to assure my security from two legged, four legged, and no legged aggressors.

And yes, Chase is on a deer hit list. I thought he was a goner at Hawks Nest, but I didn't go check on him until after I got my shot...

I've also had more issues with 'wildlife' during the day. Especially around A cabin, Moss Run, and Rockland.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 01-10-2012 at 04:15 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
Freericks
Met Fan

What is this "wildlife" you guys speak of? Is this anything like the mythical concepts I've heard mentioned here before, "snow" and "rain?"
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Don't worry Charles, we city dwellers have much more interesting "wildlife" to deal with!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
When you are in WV, you may also have to watch out for a "deliverance" type scenario maybe...

Now lemme see you just drop them pants...

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote