Old 04-10-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
rlfranz

Default Help or comments with these rejections

I would appreciate opinions and suggestions on these photos.

These were taken of a track/switch welding repair job way after dark with no ambient light.

They were bagged for poor image quality. I have appealed and have been rejected.

I will readily agree that the quality is not the best, but I personally like the intent, and how can it be any better under the conditions? I have never seen anything such as this on RP.

Taken with Nikon D200, 18-200VR zoom, ISO 1600

Comments/suggestions?

Best regards,

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=359472
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=359458

Last edited by rlfranz; 04-10-2007 at 03:29 AM.
rlfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
CNWFreak

I like where your going with this shot, but in my opinion the switch stand is kinda in the way and distracting. Also like you said the image quality isn't that great. Keep trying, it has potential.

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:20 AM   #3
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

GREAT idea but these two efforts just aren't particularly successful. Maybe a fill flash would help to light enough of the surroundings to provide some context. To improve sharpness maybe a tripod would help if you didn't already use one. If you have more opportunities like this I'd keep at it, the potential is gangbusters.

John West
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
Lee Baxter

Love the idea, i like the first shot better. Cant say exactly what settings i would have used in this photo, but i probably would have started with a tripod lower ISO and a mid-range aperture like F8, Depends how much the subject was moving . Only my opinion but thats the best thing about digital, check your exposure after each frame.Hope it helps a little, Regards Lee
Lee Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I'm guessing you jacked the ISO up because you didn't have a tripod? There's a lot of noise/gain in there tht throws everything off. Also, the switchtand is distracting in both shots, as mentioned before. I would have moved to th right to get it out of the frame. The flame, for want of a technical term, is blown out too.

Joe
Old 04-11-2007, 03:50 AM   #6
Switched out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfranz
I would appreciate opinions and suggestions on these photos.

I will readily agree that the quality is not the best, but I personally like the intent, and how can it be any better under the conditions? I have never seen anything such as this on RP.

Taken with Nikon D200, 18-200VR zoom, ISO 1600

Comments/suggestions?
Very difficult conditions to shot under, an extreme bright light and pure darkness. I think you did very well considering the circumstances.

There is a similar shot in the database taken during the day and might actually be the same guy doing the welding, well his got the same colour shirt on
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I had a tweak with your image in photoshop nothing to drastic just fiddled with the basics and increased the colour saturation and ran the unsharp mask over it and also gave noise ninja a look at it. I also selectively increased the colour saturation with the sponge tool around the light of the arc weld and cropped the image.

Cheers,
Christine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Welding3_04-09-07PS.JPG (83.3 KB, 322 views)
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 AM   #7
JRMDC

Remember that RP is not the sole arbiter of quality. These don't fall into the fully-sharp realm that RP generally likes, but they are fabulous in their semi-watercolor softness, which to me are an enhancement, not a detraction. I'd be proud to have versions of these - with better placed switch stand handles - in my personal collection.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
Ween

These shots have got me wondering:

I think I remember reading in the owner's manual to not have the sensor exposed to the sun anymore than you can help it. Wouldn't taking a shot of a welding operation like this be doing the same thing? Would that intense light damage the sensor?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
WembYard

Not so much wondering about the camera sensor, how did you shield your eyes? Bearing in mind that welders use a heavy duty mask.

For what it's worth, grainy or not, I like the photos - they have a dramatic quality about them.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:24 AM   #10
Switched out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
These shots have got me wondering:

I think I remember reading in the owner's manual to not have the sensor exposed to the sun anymore than you can help it. Wouldn't taking a shot of a welding operation like this be doing the same thing? Would that intense light damage the sensor?
Not being an expert in such things I can only surmise that it's not a problem for DSLR as the sensor is only exposed to the bright light for a fraction of a second during the actual exposure. A point and shot camera on the other hand uses the sensor all the time for the electronic viewfinder prior to the actual shot being taken. This would give the lens sufficient time to act as a magnifying glass to burn the crap out of the sensor.

Christine.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #11
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

This is getting repetitive, but once again I really like what Christine did. The only problem with that version is there is no clear "rail" relationship. But the image itself is gangbusters.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
rlfranz

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions and attempts at improving the quality. I knew it would be a stretch when I submitted it.

I was standing about 125 feet from the action. My VR zoom brought the action to me. I also didn't have much to choose from as far as position. This was about the only angle that I could see all of the action.

Although these didn't pass muster for RP quality, motive etc., they will still look great in my personal collection.

Last edited by rlfranz; 04-12-2007 at 08:34 PM.
rlfranz is offline   Reply With Quote