Old 10-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
RS27

Default Similar to previous photo?

I'm a little curious about this rejection [the appeal was rejected too] - they say similar to previous photo. I searched back a few months under all photos shot in Minneapolis and nothing is similar. Which makes sense to me - esp. since the foreground Geep was actively switching shop units and the background units haven't been there long. So if one's photos are rejected and appealed due to being similar yet there isn't a close "match" in the database what do you do?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=294850

This isn't the first time this has happened for me, same sort of shot, same location, different units. Thanks for the advice!
RS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
a231pacific

Quote:
Similar to previous photo?
I'm a little curious about this rejection [the appeal was rejected too] - they say similar to previous photo.
Quote:
This isn't the first time this has happened for me, same sort of shot, same location, different units. Thanks for the advice!
Sounds like you answered your own question. Same location, same sort of shot.

Since there is nothing special about the units in the photo, different units doesn't really make for a different photo in the eyes of the screeners.
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
htgguy

I don't know of anything you can do. I do share your curiosity as to what exactly makes it TOO similar to a previous photo. In browsing the gallery there are quite a few shots that look fairly similar to each other. With more than 130,000 images online I don't know how there can't be.

I have had photos rejected for similar to previous photo but it was the same unit in the same location. Now that I can understand. I am learning to accept some of the decisions whether they make sense to me or not and enjoy this site for what it is-a great place to view and display train photos!
htgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
Mgoldman

Similar to Previous Photo as far as I understand means the photo is similar to YOUR recently uploaded previous photo, not necessarily a photo from the past.

I see a similarity to 2 of your photos but the fact that BOTH those photos got in would imply this one too should have been accepted.

As I understand things at RP, if it's a well lit or correctly done creative shot, it should get accepted. The one advantage of acceptance at RP of nearly every concievable well lit boring roster wedgie is that RP is a one stop ocation to find a specific unit for modeling purposes or research.

My guess would be that a screener can sometimes quickly get bored of such similarity in one "shift".

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:30 AM   #5
Mgoldman

Here are your other "similar photos" that were accepted.

Image © Andy Inserra
PhotoID: 160568
Photograph © Andy Inserra

Image © Andy Inserra
PhotoID: 160567
Photograph © Andy Inserra

Last edited by Mgoldman; 10-06-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
CG_F45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
The one advantage of acceptance at RP of nearly every concievable well lit boring roster wedgie is that RP is a one stop ocation to find a specific unit for modeling purposes or research.

/Mitch
Well put, Mitch. I have super-detailed 8 HO scale models based on pictures from this site, all to the road number! and all of them were roster shots, so yes, roster shots are VERY usefull, even if they can get repitive.

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
htgguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
Similar to Previous Photo as far as I understand means the photo is similar to YOUR recently uploaded previous photo, not necessarily a photo from the past.

I see a similarity to 2 of your photos but the fact that BOTH those photos got in would imply this one too should have been accepted.

As I understand things at RP, if it's a well lit or correctly done creative shot, it should get accepted. The one advantage of acceptance at RP of nearly every concievable well lit boring roster wedgie is that RP is a one stop ocation to find a specific unit for modeling purposes or research.

My guess would be that a screener can sometimes quickly get bored of such similarity in one "shift".

/Mitch
That might be the way it is intended to be but I have had photos rejected that were of the same unit in the same location as another shot by a different phtographer. Not saying that is wrong but it has happened to me.
htgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I enjoy Andy's photos that are all "similar" like that, I'm glad they accept as many as they do.