Old 12-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #26
RobJor

I think what is missing in discussion is the obvious that there are different venues depending on preferences as to what you like to post and what you want to see.

I like RP''s for variety. Older, obscure, International as well as current charters etc. When strict screening and a tendency for the daily photos to be dominated by the same people with similar subjects it loses appeal. My ideal would be to see many contributors with the widest variety of images. Seeming subscribing to individual Flickr accounts would provide an different experience. So I don't look as Flickr as alternative.

I don't want to be advertising sites but I use them for other purposes. Here is a rejection of what i consider an obscure but interesting location(Alto Pass on the GM & O). I posted several places with good interest and a lot of interesting comments. (Color Hue)

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...68&key=6805563

Bob

I know of several older guys who have just given up here. Seemingly not that great of allowance made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Railpics-GMO-AltoPass-Rev-4.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	9848  

Last edited by RobJor; 12-17-2020 at 05:00 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #27
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

I don't want to be advertising sites but I use them for other purposes. Here is a rejection of what i consider an obscure but interesting location(Alto Pass on the GM & O). I posted several places with good interest and a lot of interesting comments. (Color Hue)

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...68&key=6805563

Bob

I know of several older guys who have just given up here. Seemingly not that great of allowance made.
Bob,

Color/hue is the rejection that I receive the most often. Between the original film processing, storage, scanning white balance and PS/LR color balance, there are a lot of opportunities for color shift. In this case, the rejection is warranted. Look at the top of the GP30. It has a lot of red/purple in it. Here is a very quick edit with a tint adjustment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9790.1607192620-1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	9849

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:05 AM   #28
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I would love to know the secret to get looks on Flickr. I post there and the views are nothing like what they are here. If there's a magic formula, I haven't figured it out yet.
First of all, follow a LOT of people. The more people you follow, the more chances you have at people following you (they'll get a notification that you followed them), hence more views. Secondly, post your images to a LOT of groups on flickr. That will expose your shots to even more clicks (more views) and more followers.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:40 AM   #29
vcode455

It may sound crazy, but there are a lot of groups on Facebook that warrant a look. Most of the RR sites strive to keep politics out of the equation. There have been some absolute killer shots from the 60's from the UP of Michigan posted on the Lake Superior RR site. Sure you have to deal with the mundane in many cases, but then there is a shot that makes up for it all.

That said, no one has ever called me about a shot.... Shoot, I've only got one PCA (and no Screeners Choice) after 4+ years. LOL!
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #30
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Bob,

Color/hue is the rejection that I receive the most often. Between the original film processing, storage, scanning white balance and PS/LR color balance, there are a lot of opportunities for color shift. In this case, the rejection is warranted. Look at the top of the GP30. It has a lot of red/purple in it. Here is a very quick edit with a tint adjustment.

Attachment 9849
Thanks! Doug. My correction went in another direction(ie dull) so yours is interesting. I already had an exposure rejection and I see at least 3 possible other rejections so I think I will wait out the 31 days and start over. This is not my photo and I was so intrigued by this section of the GM & O I googled for other photos and information and somewhat forgot to properly edit the photo.

Bob
Old 12-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #31
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Thanks! Doug. My correction went in another direction(ie dull) so yours is interesting. I already had an exposure rejection and I see at least 3 possible other rejections so I think I will wait out the 31 days and start over. This is not my photo and I was so intrigued by this section of the GM & O I googled for other photos and information and somewhat forgot to properly edit the photo.

Bob
Bob,

I did notice that the image also extended past the limits of my LR histogram. I couldn't get rid of the black limit violation, but that may have come from the banner at the bottom. I did lower the highlights/whites after the color adjustment.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #32
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Bob,

I did notice that the image also extended past the limits of my LR histogram. I couldn't get rid of the black limit violation, but that may have come from the banner at the bottom. I did lower the highlights/whites after the color adjustment.
There are deep shadows on the visible side, the nose in near the edge, and there are offending leaves. After the excitement of a photo what I consider a neat, somewhat obscure line, of historical interest, the reality of all the RP's kerfunkles have set in.

However, still thanks for the edit, I will keep that version in mind.

Bob