Old 04-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
baggydave

Default 9 years of hard work

I'm sorry that the screeners won't let you see this tribute to the immense hard work by the volunteers of Tanfield railway to restore their latest locomotive. However I thought that you could take a look for 30 days before it disappears
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...32&key=1752830
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
RobJor

Very nice, we can enjoy it.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:06 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Crisp, colorful, sharp, perfectly exposed and unique - all factors I think override the fact that the nose is backlit. My first thought was to simply brighten the nose but it's as perfect an edit as I can imagine.

On its own, it's a fair rejection, but I sympathize with you in regards to how unfair it seems when the site regularly accepts images with issues significantly worse that are much less interesting. Lots of cloudy day diesel shots as of late - all that could be rephotographed on a sunny day, where as your image can not be re-shot on a day when the Sun rises in west.

My only suggestions - come up with 10 grand to run a charter, or maybe.. set up a flash on a tripod to equalize the light.

Nice shot - I like it. I like it a whole lot more than just about every NS /CSX / BNSF / UP shot posted today. Thanks for sharing.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #4
baggydave

Well, thank you Mitch, very kind words I appreciate them.
With regard to your suggestions there would be no need to pay 10 grand for a charter at Tanfield as it is my local railway and I volunteer there in a non-menial capacity.(I am Santa at Christmas!!)
The problem with the railway is that it runs North to South. Sun is always wrong except late afternoon in winter when a fantasic glint shot can be otained. The line, although only 3 miles long, is undulating and the highest grade is 1 in 37, which makes it one of the steepest lines in the UK. All locomotives that are currently used face North for operational reasons.
RP's rules mean that I shouldn't really get any pictures accepted but I have, and plenty of them. Last year one was accepted at this very same spot. That's what I find frustrating. I must have chosen the wrong day to post.
Nevermind as long as contributors can see, if only for a short time, the fantastic job that my fellow volunteers have done, that's worth it. It has been picked up by a magazine here in the UK so plenty more will view it as well. Take care.
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
I'm sorry that the screeners won't let you see this tribute to the immense hard work by the volunteers of Tanfield railway to restore their latest locomotive. However I thought that you could take a look for 30 days before it disappears
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...32&key=1752830
Dave, who knows? I have plenty of backlit steam shots on RP. I actually enjoy shooting what my buddy Mitch calls "the Nikon side." I can only speculate....wild-ass guess really.....that it might be a fatal combination of the following:

- No nose light
- Really head-on....not much train detail
- Foreign power, so perhaps less US interest.

I agree with Mitch that you probably did as good a job as anyone could do with the exposure and the edit. If I were to play Monday Morning Quarterback, I might have tried getting a shot further up the line a bit, where it appears to be more open. Although still backlit, you might have been able to go wider....more like a 3/4 wedge, and actually get some train detail for the viewer to see. It looks like the train would be side-lit in that open area. Not being a real fan of down-the-throat shots, that's just my $.02 as to how I might have approached it.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #6
RobJor

The other photo referenced is more a cloudy day than sun backlit and as Kevin suggested a little wider to give a hint of the running gear. I agree tho it seems OP has more backlit than anything else and a cool mixture of British subjects and then US.

Image © davehewitt
PhotoID: 726875
Photograph © davehewitt

Of course the problem is a strong personal involvement so the rejection will be more personal. This can be a problem for some to overcome.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #7
MassArt Images

That’s a great shot Dave! Did you try an appeal? This shot
Image © Carl Massart
PhotoID: 769325
Photograph © Carl Massart
was rejected for the cloudy/common power, but once I explained that it was raining at the time, it was accepted.

On a side note, I’d love to experience the British steam in person.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote