Old 04-29-2021, 11:32 PM   #1
John Russell - NZ

Default Concerning Disappearances...

I have noticed a lot of photos, photogs and albums disappearing from the RPN database, most notably the exceptional work of Jean-Marc Frybourg. The most popular album "Would You Believe It?" with over 2.4M views and several others by Jean-Marc have been preserved by "RP Archives" but many others such as "Back-lit Beauties" seemingly have have not been preserved. It seems such a shame it comes to this - actually I'm gutted about it. I'm just a viewer and album keeper here these days so I seem to have missed the circumstances. It does raise doubts about RP ever being archival reliably, or anybody else for that matter. Perhaps there could be a change of rules around this by agreement so that members leaving can't take away their photos published here. In the print world a photographer couldn't demand their photos removed from books or magazines. The photo ID numbers less numbers of photos on the site might reveal how many photos have been removed. Does anybody here have stats?
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

If I am not mistaken, Frybourg took his toys and went home.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

In the print world, you usually get a paycheck for the use of your photo in the publication if you work the deal. We get no paycheck from RP directly, however a few of my photos on here have given me a few paychecks from publishers seeing them here. Heck, a lot even pay RP to get the Elite badge. If we as unpaid contributors want to take our ball and go home, we should be able to do so. Sorry that it may deplete some albums that others create.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
however a few of my photos on here have given me a few paychecks from publishers seeing them here...
That's actually why I came back. I missed the exposure and the sells I made through here. Flickr gets some exposure with my non-rail photos, but publishers come here for the trains for the most part.

Does Frybourg have a Flickr site? The last time I looked I could not find it
Old 05-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #5
John Russell - NZ

Does Frybourg have a Flickr site? The last time I looked I could not find it[/quote]

Yes, one is what he told me was a project entirely RPN images:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/frybourgjm

His current flikr.com page seems to be more recent... https://www.flickr.com/photos/158125...h/50753566003/

I haven't seen his photography pop up anywhere else yet but haven't started looking around that much. I think some of the albums I have here have lost perhaps over 50% of their content. I will surely miss his fine photography and his comments in this forum (which also seem to have disappeared.)
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
Perhaps there could be a change of rules around this by agreement so that members leaving can't take away their photos published here.

I'm at a crossroads with my continuing participation here (nothing RP did, btw), and if I choose to leave then I would certainly want my work removed on the way out.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #7
KevinM

There are definitely differences between publishing something in print and publishing something online. In the former case, the print run is fixed and when it's done it is done. Once distributed, there is no going back. With on-line publishing, the availability to the public is continuous, not fixed. So if a photographer has reconsidered his/her decision to work with a certain publisher, he/she should have a right to retract permission to continue to use the material. The major advantage of leaving it in place is that if something should happen to the photographer, the work would remain visible for as long as the on-line site continues to exist.

In my view, most photographers have a desire to get their work seen, so if they decide to leave RP.net, I would be seriously surprised if they don't simply find another venue. Very few of us shoot solely to sit in a dark room and enjoy the images by ourselves.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:02 AM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
...if I choose to leave then I would certainly want my work removed on the way out.

Loyd L.
Why?

I don't understand this concept what so ever. Unless you are "seeking vengeance" on a screener or the site itself, or signed an exclusive contract, or think all your images can be seen for the "first time" somewhere else - why?

It is not all that kind to those that follow you here, or favorited your images, as well. I'm always saddened to see images I've favorited over the years, those I've commented on, no longer visible. I think there was a time when you'd simply see an empty tile, but likely it's simply erased completely these days.

I find it tragic that Jean-Marc's images were deleted. Seemed perhaps a long time coming but also way to sudden. Such a loss for the site, but more so for the hobby, and for the historical knowledge base. No doubt his images can be found elsewhere, but not the the ease and order they could be found here. Considering how much work (and devotion) was put into his effort, I'd be willing to bet Jean-Marc would have and perhaps still would if even possible, consent to keep what was posted in the database.

I believe RP is a great place to be seen, as Kevin notes, but perhaps an even better place to educate, whether it be in the field of photography, or a resource for preservation.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Why?
/Mitch
I've come to a point in my life where my free time is being invested into other purposes. I was never seriously interested in being somebody in this little niche and will be quite content being unknown by most and forgotten by a few.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:48 PM   #10
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I've come to a point in my life where my free time is being invested into other purposes. I was never seriously interested in being somebody in this little niche and will be quite content being unknown by most and forgotten by a few.

Loyd L.
Loyd who???
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote