Old 08-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default Horrible, but not bad?

Hahaha, confusing I know. I thought I'd just give it a kick, just to see what the screeners opinions were. This shot was basically black. Me being on aperture priority, it was cloudy and the sky was a bit blown out, but the bottom wasn't very dark at all. It looked balanced when I took a test shot. As soon as the "rare" warbonnets came around the bend and i went to take the shot, the sun popped right the hell out, causing the camera to stop the shutter speed faster. Which resulted in a black shot. It's not the greatest thing in the world, but not bad for what I had to work with. I'll retry it later on.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=716823&key=0

Ben
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Hey Ben, if you have the raw file you can use highlights and shadows, create layers and merge them to the effect you want. I tried it to some extent with your photo, but you will have much better results with your original raw file.

Chris Z.

Last edited by Chris Z; 04-01-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
XP2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to XP2

Chris did a good job, although the bottom might have to be a little bit brighter.

Good luck Ben! I'd love to see it in!
XP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Me being on aperture priority, it was cloudy and the sky was a bit blown out, but the bottom wasn't very dark at all. It looked balanced when I took a test shot. As soon as the "rare" warbonnets came around the bend and i went to take the shot, the sun popped right the hell out, causing the camera to stop the shutter speed faster. Which resulted in a black shot.
Hope this incident convinces you to go to full manual settings soon. I used to shoot on shutter priority, but after too many shots like this, I learned manual real fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
It's not the greatest thing in the world, but not bad for what I had to work with. I'll retry it later on.
Why?

The sun is directly in your face as it sets, which means in the morning it will be over your shoulder, resulting in a nicely lit scene.

- Chris