Old 12-11-2020, 01:34 AM   #1
Martin76_de

Send a message via Skype™ to Martin76_de
Angry Incomprehensible rejection of the photo.

Hello,

The photo below was rejected today due to the cloud cover. Original message:

"Lighting (Cloudy): Cloudy day shots of common/standard power, as well as cloudy images of common/standard angles and scenes, are generally not accepted."

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...89&key=8996508

The problem is that the photo is taken in sunny weather. The shadows cast by the sun are clearly visible in the photo. Therefore, I find this decision absurd.

The photo below was rejected for similar reasons:

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...30&key=8012476

There is a little less sun here, because the photo was taken when the sun just broke through the dark clouds, but the whole train is in the sun. You can also see the sun's reflection on the locomotive's nose.

So I do not understand the decision of someone to reject such photographs with a contradictory reason.

Additionally, when I registered at this photo gallery, I had a limit of 2 photos per day. For some time now, this limit has been lowered to 1. I am also unable to make an appeal against the decision of the photo moderator. I get the following message:

"Your ability to appeal rejected photos at RailPictures.net has been removed due to abuse of the Appeal system, such
as appealing an unusually high percentage of your rejected photos."

I don't understand it either. On average, out of 30 photos I add, 2 or 3 are rejected.

I will be grateful for meaningful explanations.

Best Regards, Martin
Martin76_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Milepost 58

I'm not an expert by any means, but although the sun is shining, it appears a bit hazy and lacks the vibrance of bright sunlight. I would make a slight temp adjustment and maybe bump up the blacks and the saturation of the colors a bit. I did a quick edit but have no way of uploading the sample image here.

I can't help with the appeal question, I have never dared to appeal a rejection.
Milepost 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I hope you find this explanation meaningful enough, but you've got filtered sun here. Basically what MP 58 above me said. Otherwise the shadows were be more defined and the sky woould be bluer.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
KevinM

Neither of them are bad photos. The first one definitely has hard shadow, but at least on my display, appears like it could use some additional contrast. The second one definitely has subdued lighting. I get that the sun was technically out. Sometimes, when the sun peeks out brightly underneath an overcast, the results can be quite spectacular. Other times, when it's a filtered peek, not so much.

Honestly, I have no idea why these are any worse than a lot of other stuff we see here every day. But that said, the screener didn't like them and it is his site, so he gets the final say on the content. As I've said many times, the only place we have any "right" to post photos is when we pay the freight for the site. I put a lot of stuff on Flickr....which I do pay for. There are definitely some things I put there that wouldn't fly here.

With regard to appeals..... Over the years, I've read a lot of stories about people losing their appeal privileges. I think that in most cases, it likely happened because people just got in the habit of hitting the appeal button every time they got a rejection. I'm not suggesting that you did that sort of thing, but I am guessing that they didn't lower the boom over 3-4 appeals in the course of a year.

Personally, I think appeals should be reserved for something you really think is spectacular....a rare opportunity, a chance catch, superb light.....something really special. Run-of-the-mill wedgies are not appeal material. Select submissions carefully. Do your best edit. If they don't want it, move on and forget it. Have a separate site to post that stuff. Most of us do.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:43 AM   #5
Mgoldman

Martin -

The advice given is excellent, and you may well be able to tweak the images in such a way to make them perhaps more appealing. Another option of course, is to re-shoot with better conditions if it is not a special move - though sometimes the "special move" is ourselves being somewhere we can't easily find the time to return to.

I do sympathize with you - as I think most on RP do, as it is no doubt frustrating to have photos rejected that have similar technical issues to those we often see accepted. In those cases, there would hopefully be something unique to point out that would push acceptance back in your favor. Sorry to hear about your appeal privileges - that's rough. My rejections often lead to a beneficial tweak vs an appeal - and the forums have always been a good place for a second set of eyes.

BTW - I like your first image well enough - the village in the background is cool, as is the less often shared equipment.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
vcode455

I like both shots actually. I think the harsh reality is that the first shot is probably pretty accurate color wise, but we have become so used to pumping up the colors to get that vibrant effect that we have forgotten what is real. I started a war on a FB nature site by commenting on an image that was so overcooked it looked like it was from the Wizard of Oz. Many agreed with me but some did not. We see it here as well, especially with fall color shots.....
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:15 AM   #7
JimThias

No reason the second one should be rejected.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Martin76_de

Send a message via Skype™ to Martin76_de

I am more and more amazed by the behavior of the local screeners, and having nothing to do with the reality of the justification for rejecting photos.

I try to take care of both the frame and the quality of the photos I present. I show different types of locomotives photographed under different conditions. I do not understand what the driving force behind someone rejecting such photographs.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...97&key=5249779

"Reason(s) for Rejection: - Composition (Balance): The subject is awkwardly positioned in the frame. RailPictures.Net prefers that images are composed in keeping with the 'Rule of Thirds' meaning that, in most circumstances, the focal point of the image should not be directly in the center of the frame, or too close to any of the edges."

In my opinion, this frame is perfectly correct and the train is in the strong point of the frame. The frame itself is unique. The railway line has been modernized and the trains consisting of a locomotive and carriages are already a memory.

----------

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...34&key=5519125

"Reason(s) for Rejection: - Lighting (High Sun): The angle of the sunlight is too high, a common problem during midday hours during the summer. High sun is considered to be present when there are extended shadows on the underframe of the train, the plow, long vertical grab iron shadows, and generally harsh light on the visible vertical surfaces of the train."

Another rejected photo with not very clear justification. I don't understand what the height of the sun is about. I believe that the frame is correct and the lighting of the train is correct.

However, an even more absurd justification is under this photo.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...60&key=5828929

"Reason(s) for Rejection: - Heat Distortion: Visible image distortion caused by heat waves."

It is possible that I am already blind However, I don't see any heat wave distortion here. The train first climbs a steep hill, then a hump down which it descends.

Unfortunately, such situations discourage people from adding their works here any longer.
Martin76_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:51 PM   #9
KevinM

Hi Martin,

Of course, screening is always subjective, so other folks may not agree with your arguments.

My $.02 on these three:

First one: Likely rejected because the train is so small and there is not much on the right side of the photo to balance it. I think a tighter crop on this one is definitely in order.

Second one: Likely rejected because the trucks are totally dark...no detail. That one will garner a high-sun rejection in December.

Third one: I can't see the EXIF, but there's not much in sharp focus except the nose of the train. All of the background looks soft or distorted. It does indeed look like heat distortion, but that sort of look can be caused by other things....like narrow DOF. I'm usually at f/8 with trains, if at all possible.

So yes, I can see what the screeners are seeing. If you can address the issues, they have a chance. If not, best not to push the issue.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:13 PM   #10
vcode455

Kevin, I guess if we are being really picky. Agree with your comment on the first photo though. But compared to some of what has been accepted here lately, with strange roster crops and really grainy scans, I would have no problem with these. JM would certainly have something to say!
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:23 PM   #11
RobJor

#1, I think is a pleasant photo as is. Again work a little on truck shadow.?
Crop maybe, less sky maybe but here is my problem - This is pretty subjective and when you get to these things, I think
who the heck photo is it any way, a difference without a distinction, why try to make certain photo fit the same cookie cutter approach

#2, high sun, the trucks are blocked out. High sun is one I agree with, unless is something of special interest. This is a pretty well recognized problem for all photographyy. Agree with Kevin, might have use shadows highlights to reduce problem but ...

#3 agree wit Kevin, maybe more lack of DOF

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:08 PM   #12
Milepost 58

#1. I agree that a tighter crop on the top and left would get this in. The train is right smack in the middle, which they don't like. You can take some sky out without losing the clouds.

#3 I have never seen that rejection before. Did the screener click the wrong rejection reason?
Milepost 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:06 AM   #13
ATSF666

I really like number 3. No idea why it would warrant a reject.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:58 PM   #14
RCH022

Send a message via AIM to RCH022

Consider yourself lucky that your limit is 2, I just started re uploading pictures after a 15 year hiatus. Uploaded maybe 3, all rejected and my upload limit went from 10 to 1, how encouraging!
RCH022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:23 AM   #15
John Russell - NZ

Having appeal privileges removed and upload quota halved seems quite unfair. There might have been some comments not just photos the screener or editor didn't like. Maybe the only possible fix for this now is to subscribe like I do for 10 upload slots daily, if you can afford to. However, I had my quota halved as an Elite member years ago and received a warning too so you do need to be nice to the screeners all the time! I love your photography on RP and wish I could encourage you more than this.

Last edited by John Russell - NZ; 04-30-2021 at 12:30 AM.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:48 PM   #16
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin76_de View Post
Unfortunately, such situations discourage people from adding their works here any longer.
Or at all.

You can see mine here:

https://richardbischoff.smugmug.com/Trains
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote