Old 05-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #1
vcode455
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Default Slow......

Things sure seem slow on this site lately. I've been seeing less than 50 photos fairly often, and relatively few photographers. People burnt out? I know I've cut way back.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcode455 View Post
Things sure seem slow on this site lately. I've been seeing less than 50 photos fairly often, and relatively few photographers. People burnt out? I know I've cut way back.
I know that frustration drove me to say more than I should have a while back, so I took a page from Bob Jordan's book and took a self-imposed exile for 30 days. It turns out that I broke a years-long habit of submitting two photos a day, and after a few days, it became clear that it was a bad habit. Now I'm posting when I feel like it, and I have a lot more time for other priorities. I have come to the realization that a well-executed, well lit scene with interest gets the same pass/fail grade as a common wedgie. Extra credit is generally reserved for rain, fog, snow, sunrise, and sunset. This adds to the demotivation for me, as I know it does for you. I know my stuff generates interest and views (ad revenue) for the site, but there's not any enjoyment for me any more, and it seems that the staff is apathetic. Flickr is much more enjoyable, with much interaction between the photographers and none of the drama.
__________________
Doug Lilly

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 05-29-2021 at 06:18 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #3
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 945
Default

I don't remember other years but there probably is a seasonal component, nicer weather after lockdowns etc people want to get out and about. However, the shift to a few contributors is obvious, whatever the reasons are.
Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #4
vcode455
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Default

Yeah, I hear you Doug. I've been posting to the various FB pages. There is some really cool stuff coming out of the woodwork. In fact, check out Scans of the Day if you are on FB, it's dedicated just to old stuff and your stuff would be well received.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,964
Default

Scans of the Day is indeed a great page. I'm there s a fan as the scans I have are from the early 2000s. But I enjoy the site immensely.
__________________
Joseph C. Hinson Photography
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:07 AM   #6
vcode455
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Scans of the Day is indeed a great page. I'm there s a fan as the scans I have are from the early 2000s. But I enjoy the site immensely.
You can still post! I've posted a few Fujichromes from that era.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,175
Default

I've not seen any days when there were fewer than 50 photos posted. I have seen a few days when the number was roughly 75, but that was about the minimum.

Over the years, participation here has run in cycles and it depends upon a lot of things. Participation seems to be higher in winter, when folks are more confined to their homes and have more screen time. Participation does drop off in the summer. Participation spikes when there are events....and there certainly haven't been many of those in the past year. Also understand that people's lives change. The excitement of posting pictures on a site like this can wane after a while. People want to spend their time doing different things. And then of course, there are the folks who decide they can't work with the limitations and constraints of a site like this one.

I've spent much of the last year posting from my collection, because there haven't been many events to attend to gather new material. I've also been busy with other things at times and something has to give. Other factors have been the fact that my pictures always seem to get posted right next to the site's most prolific contributor, so I know going in that my odds of getting a To24 are pretty slim. And lastly, the introduction of "Infolinks" as an advertising agent has really spoiled the RP experience, in my view. It constantly pops up at the bottom of the screen, wiping out perhaps 20% if the screen area. It also screws up how the RP pages display on some computers, especially IPADs. I don't mind ads, but incessant pop-ups just wear on you to the point where you just want to click the "X" and go to a site that doesn't do that.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 06-01-2021 at 05:24 PM.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,887
Default

I'm going for a personal best of 365 days without posting a photo.

Loyd L.
__________________
Those who seek glory, must also seek infamy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #9
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 308
Default

I've only posted 41 pictures in the 6 years that I have been here on RP. 40 of those pics were added in the first 5 years, only 1 in 2020 and none to date for 2021. I still took pictures but was letting them "mellow and ripen" on purpose then corona hit. Now I have a new job and there went my free/flexible time, add the fact that there is limited stuff to shoot and nothing "new" locally, is not adding much to the pot here. It does seem slow but I am with Kevin on the ads, very aggravating to have to dance around the annoying adds. So I only get on here about 2x a day at most now.

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 06-01-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
vcode455
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I've not seen any days when there were fewer than 50 photos posted. I have seen a few days when the number was roughly 75, but that was about the minimum.

Over the years, participation here has run in cycles and it depends upon a lot of things. Participation seems to be higher in winter, when folks are more confined to their homes and have more screen time. Participation does drop off in the summer. Participation spikes when there are events....and there certainly haven't been many of those in the past year. Also understand that people's lives change. The excitement of posting pictures on a site like this can wane after a while. People want to spend their time doing different things. And then of course, there are the folks who decide they can't work with the limitations and constraints of a site like this one.

I've spent much of the last year posting from my collection, because there haven't been many events to attend to gather new material. I've also been busy with other things at times and something has to give. Other factors have been the fact that my pictures always seem to get posted right next to the site's most prolific contributor, so I know going in that my odds of getting a To24 are pretty slim. And lastly, the introduction of "Infolinks" as an advertising agent has really spoiled the RP experience, in my view. It constantly pops up at the bottom of the screen, wiping out perhaps 20% if the screen area. It also screws up how the RP pages display on some computers, especially IPADs. I don't mind ads, but incessant pop-ups just wear on you to the point where you just want to click the "X" and go to a site that doesn't do that.
There were 48 Last Thursday and 52 on Friday when I looked....Picked up since then.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #11
vcode455
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I'm going for a personal best of 365 days without posting a photo.

Loyd L.
Sounds like I good plan. I may have to copy you.....
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.