Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Harry Gaydosz
Member
 
Harry Gaydosz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellwood City, PA
Posts: 61
Default Backlit

This photo got rejected for being backlit. I know the light is nose heavy, but is it really that bad?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...95&key=2590177
Harry Gaydosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,047
Default

Well, there are two answers here... the first is that it is backlit on the side we see and in general (not always, but in general) this site won't accept photos lit that way despite the nose light.

The second is that it is an excellent shot and there are lots of examples of shooting from this side with the lit nose in railroad publications. It's a shot I would have taken myself. It is a shot that is at best 30/70 to get on here, and more likely than not, won't get on.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Well, there are two answers here... the first is that it is backlit on the side we see and in general (not always, but in general) this site won't accept photos lit that way despite the nose light.

The second is that it is an excellent shot and there are lots of examples of shooting from this side with the lit nose in railroad publications. It's a shot I would have taken myself. It is a shot that is at best 30/70 to get on here, and more likely than not, won't get on.
A fine writer like Charles Freericks should not be so redundant as to say "at best 30/70 to get on" and "more likely than not, won't get on" in the same sentence, and back-to-back to boot!

Embarrassing! Charles, you are off your game!
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 09-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Harry, should you resubmit, please note that the PC unit is NS 1073 and not 1072, which is the IT unit. You made the same mistake in your accepted shot #450175.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

The black engines are kinda helping you here, but why didn't you stand on the other side? Looks like you were standing on an overpass.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Harry Gaydosz
Member
 
Harry Gaydosz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellwood City, PA
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Harry, should you resubmit, please note that the PC unit is NS 1073 and not 1072, which is the IT unit. You made the same mistake in your accepted shot #450175.
Thanks for pointing that out. Photo corrected.

It really didn't matter what side I was on. The sun was just about straight down the tracks.
Harry Gaydosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

If it was straight down the tracks then why the long shadow on one side?
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gaydosz View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. Photo corrected.

It really didn't matter what side I was on. The sun was just about straight down the tracks.
It clearly wasn't. If it had been, there would be no shadows on either side of the train.

You were standing on the wrong side. Sorry, try again.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Harry Gaydosz
Member
 
Harry Gaydosz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellwood City, PA
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
If it was straight down the tracks then why the long shadow on one side?
The sun might have had been slightly quartering from the right. The hill to the left from the other side of the bridge was in shadow.

I probably should have stood on the other side of the bridge but I didn't.
Harry Gaydosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
JMC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 168
Default

Harry...for what it's worth, I like it. Is that PA 51?

I'm assuming "Heritage Unit-mania" is dying down if this one didn't make it.
JMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
Harry Gaydosz
Member
 
Harry Gaydosz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellwood City, PA
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC View Post
Harry...for what it's worth, I like it. Is that PA 51?

I'm assuming "Heritage Unit-mania" is dying down if this one didn't make it.
Joe, that is PA 51 outside of Chippewa. Standing on that bridge SUCKS!
Harry Gaydosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
callduckfarm
Member
 
callduckfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gaydosz View Post
This photo got rejected for being backlit. I know the light is nose heavy, but is it really that bad?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...95&key=2590177
Nice pic Harry.
Wow, it's even got 252 views on Flickr. Not bad for a reject!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harryga...0/in/contacts/

Just another reason why many of us rarely bother with uploading to Railpictures.net. Flickr seems to really be gaining momentum with many railfans.

Mike
__________________
I love the cold weather.
Lets go ICE FISHING!
callduckfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #13
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callduckfarm View Post
Nice pic Harry.
Wow, it's even got 252 views on Flickr. Not bad for a reject!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harryga...0/in/contacts/

Just another reason why many of us rarely bother with uploading to Railpictures.net. Flickr seems to really be gaining momentum with many railfans.

Mike
I will say this:
1. the rejection is proper, according to railpictures standards.
But...
2. RP has and does let photos like this on all the time. Some have been POTW, SC, PCA, etc. In some of those cases, it's someone from the non-existent "clique" who submitted it. This double standard or "selective deviation from the standards" is what upsets people and turns them off to RP
3. truthfully, the photo does need a little post processing work. I think it's a tad overexposed, could use some contrast and I would remove some yellow channel saturation.
4. comparing railpictures to Flickr is ridiculous. RP is screened, Flickr is not. There is a LOT of junk on Flickr, like there is a lot of junk on rrpicturearchives. There's less true junk here than Flickr. That's the truth as much as we like to complain about RP. That said, there is some nice stuff on Flickr too.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #14
Harry Gaydosz
Member
 
Harry Gaydosz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellwood City, PA
Posts: 61
Default

Thanks everyone for the opinions.

I know my post processing isn't the greatest, I have very little idea what I'm doing with Photoshop!
Harry Gaydosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #15
JMC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gaydosz View Post
Joe, that is PA 51 outside of Chippewa. Standing on that bridge SUCKS!
Excellent. I've driven across that bridge a thousand times and wondered what a shot would look like from there. I hope it makes it in. I'm sure you got some looks from cars whizzing by! A lot of the gangbangers crossing the Center St. Bridge between Youngstown and Campbell have never seen a guy with a camera before, I guess for them its like seeing two unicorns fornicating.

Last edited by JMC; 09-07-2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: ?
JMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #16
callduckfarm
Member
 
callduckfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gaydosz View Post
I have very little idea what I'm doing with Photoshop!
Same thing with me Harry.
I can do some basic stuff like add contrast or maybe play with the colors a little.
I just don't have the time to invest in all the post processing stuff while also working 11 hour days at my job, plus running a farm business on the side!

Not sure how I manage to get any railfanning in, but it happens now and then.

Mike
__________________
I love the cold weather.
Lets go ICE FISHING!
callduckfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #17
callduckfarm
Member
 
callduckfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I will say this:
1. the rejection is proper, according to railpictures standards.
But...
2. RP has and does let photos like this on all the time. Some have been POTW, SC, PCA, etc. In some of those cases, it's someone from the non-existent "clique" who submitted it. This double standard or "selective deviation from the standards" is what upsets people and turns them off to RP
3. truthfully, the photo does need a little post processing work. I think it's a tad overexposed, could use some contrast and I would remove some yellow channel saturation.
4. comparing railpictures to Flickr is ridiculous. RP is screened, Flickr is not. There is a LOT of junk on Flickr, like there is a lot of junk on rrpicturearchives. There's less true junk here than Flickr. That's the truth as much as we like to complain about RP. That said, there is some nice stuff on Flickr too.
Yes, there is junk on Flickr, but you can choose your contacts - so choose wisely. I've seen some really nice stuff on Flickr that will never be seen here.

Mike
__________________
I love the cold weather.
Lets go ICE FISHING!
callduckfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #18
Harry Gaydosz
Member
 
Harry Gaydosz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellwood City, PA
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC View Post
A lot of the gangbangers crossing the Center St. Bridge between Youngstown and Campbell have never seen a guy with a camera before, I guess for them its like seeing two unicorns fornicating.
I hold my camera sideways when I shoot from Center St., I fit right in.
Harry Gaydosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #19
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

I only see stuff as good as here or better on flickr, then again I choose contacts wisely. Flickr is whatever you make it and I find it 100 percent better than hear, and I pay 25 bucks a year for it, I would not think of paying for an elite account here.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #20
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

I like shots taken from the "wrong" side, and in this case, I think what would help is if the shaded side were a bit darker. Make the shadows work for you...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #21
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I only see stuff as good as here or better on flickr, then again I choose contacts wisely. Flickr is whatever you make it and I find it 100 percent better than hear, and I pay 25 bucks a year for it, I would not think of paying for an elite account here.
What exactly do you get for your money in Flickr?

I have an account and use it sparingly.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #22
Harry Gaydosz
Member
 
Harry Gaydosz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellwood City, PA
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
What exactly do you get for your money in Flickr?

I have an account and use it sparingly.
It used to give you a lot more space to upload.

Flickr Pro accounts are gone now. 1 TB free. I guess if you have a pro account you'll have no pop ups until it runs out.
Harry Gaydosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #23
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150582914

Like I said, if you see crap on flickr you do not know how to use flickr. Harry's stuff on flickr is the bees knees.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #24
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150582914

Like I said, if you see crap on flickr you do not know how to use flickr. Harry's stuff on flickr is the bees knees.
It's not hard to see crap on Flickr. There is a lot of quality stuff, but there's a lot of garbage.

I rarely go "in search of..." stuff on Flickr, there's a few people I follow regularly on there, it's all old regional stuff. I'm sure there's lots of good new stuff too, but there's only so much time in the day. But for every 1 good photo, there's 20 junk ones, or pictures of someone's kids no one except that family gives a shit about.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #25
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

No, you have the wrong contacts if you see Crap. If you see one good to twenty bad you are clueless on how to use Flickr.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.