Old 03-20-2022, 06:36 PM   #1
CTSphotos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default Backlit nose rejection, Thoughts?

Hello
I was just wondering the communities opinion on this recent rejection I had. Screener/admin said nose is blacklit even though to me it is considered a half lit nose. I see a lot of Half lit nose shots excepted by many photographers on this sight, and I was just wondering peoples opinion on this shot. I can understand a underexposed rejection but I am having trouble understanding the backlit nose rejection. I will provide my photo and examples of half lit nose shots that have been excepted.

Thanks

My Rejected photo in question
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...41&key=8541051

Examples of shots that are similar that have been excepted
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/761685/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/781056/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/791609/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/794256/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/795422/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/788332/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/782441/
CTSphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:42 PM   #2
RCH022
Member
 
RCH022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 57
Send a message via AIM to RCH022
Default

Most of those other shots that were accepted are from an angle placing more emphasis on the side of the train, not all of them though. I’ve seen plenty of pictures similar to yours accepted here as well but sometimes that’s just the way it goes. You could try to brighten it up in editing and try again but if that’s another reject I wouldn’t try again. Sorry if I’m not much help but good shot nonetheless! Btw this probably would be better suited for the forum above this. Good luck!
RCH022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #3
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,901
Default

I didn't click every photo you linked, but the ones I did look it offer more scenery, or more train so that the darker portion of the nose isn't as noticeable. Your shot offers a half-lit nose, a half-lit crossing signal, and a half-lit power pole. None of which develops a whole lot of interest.

Loyd L.
__________________
Those who seek glory, must also seek infamy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:49 AM   #4
CTSphotos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I didn't click every photo you linked, but the ones I did look it offer more scenery, or more train so that the darker portion of the nose isn't as noticeable. Your shot offers a half-lit nose, a half-lit crossing signal, and a half-lit power pole. None of which develops a whole lot of interest.

Loyd L.
I understand your point but my shot got rejected for a backlit nose when there is clearly a half-lit nose. If it got rejected for lack of scenery/train (I'm unaware that's a rejection reason) I can maybe understand that a little better. Is a lack of interest a rejection reason? If so can someone point me toward it. I was able to find this "We encourage creativity in our submissions. Please avoid uploading the standard 3/4 wedge shot; we would much rather see a nicely composed angle instead." but wouldn't I have been rejected for something like that rather than a backlit nose? I see a lot of 3/4 wedges on here and I also have a bit as well uploaded here that's why I am a little confused.

Thanks

Last edited by CTSphotos; 04-02-2022 at 03:56 AM.
CTSphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:30 AM   #5
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSphotos View Post
I understand your point but my shot got rejected for a backlit nose when there is clearly a half-lit nose. If it got rejected for lack of scenery/train (I'm unaware that's a rejection reason) I can maybe understand that a little better. Is a lack of interest a rejection reason? If so can someone point me toward it. I was able to find this "We encourage creativity in our submissions. Please avoid uploading the standard 3/4 wedge shot; we would much rather see a nicely composed angle instead." but wouldn't I have been rejected for something like that rather than a backlit nose? I see a lot of 3/4 wedges on here and I also have a bit as well uploaded here that's why I am a little confused.

Thanks
Lack of interest is not a rejection reason, but it does have weight in the decision between acceptance and rejection of a questionably lit image. As Loyd said, there is nothing compelling in your image to overcome less-than-ideal lighting. Don't fall into the trap of reading rejection reasons literally. They're never black and white, and much of the text in the rejection reasons is to provide guidelines, not rules. Many complaints have been voiced in these forums over composition rejections when the subject meets the rule of third criteria. Meeting the ROT does not always mean the composition of an image is good.
__________________
Doug Lilly

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:03 PM   #6
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSphotos View Post
I understand your point but my shot got rejected for a backlit nose when there is clearly a half-lit nose. If it got rejected for lack of scenery/train (I'm unaware that's a rejection reason) I can maybe understand that a little better. Is a lack of interest a rejection reason? If so can someone point me toward it. I was able to find this "We encourage creativity in our submissions. Please avoid uploading the standard 3/4 wedge shot; we would much rather see a nicely composed angle instead." but wouldn't I have been rejected for something like that rather than a backlit nose? I see a lot of 3/4 wedges on here and I also have a bit as well uploaded here that's why I am a little confused.

Thanks
Sometimes you have to read between the lines on a rejection because they do not have a "Meh Photo" rejection, which Doug typed a bit more kindly than I did.

Loyd L.
__________________
Those who seek glory, must also seek infamy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 04-05-2022 at 05:23 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:00 PM   #7
Milepost 58
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSphotos View Post
Hello
I was just wondering the communities opinion on this recent rejection I had. Screener/admin said nose is blacklit even though to me it is considered a half lit nose. I see a lot of Half lit nose shots excepted by many photographers on this sight, and I was just wondering peoples opinion on this shot. I can understand a underexposed rejection but I am having trouble understanding the backlit nose rejection. I will provide my photo and examples of half lit nose shots that have been excepted.

Thanks

My Rejected photo in question
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...41&key=8541051

Examples of shots that are similar that have been excepted
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/761685/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/781056/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/791609/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/794256/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/795422/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/788332/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/782441/
Just adding my two cents here. If you compare one of your rejected to photos to other that were accepted, but you feel deserved rejection, you will go crazy. You just have to try to make your photo the best that you can, and leave it at that. If I get rejected, or feel it doesn't meet the RP standards, I just throw it up on Flickr.
Milepost 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.