Old 03-11-2021, 02:03 PM   #51
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I was thinking the same thing. I think the Yadkin Valley painted over their's
Old 05-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #52
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

From textile empire to wine country? Gallo has announced plans to build on a 600+ acre tract of land in Fort Lawn near property where the Springs warehouses still stand. They envision 400+ workers at what will be their east coast distribution hub. Not sure what kind f rail traffic they'll have, but it's great news for the area nonetheless.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #53
ShortlinesUSA

Oddly enough, it may be a hit for rail traffic originating on the West Coast. I am pretty certain Gallo is a significant intermodal shipper from California to the Midwest and Northeast markets.

Looking at their main winery in Modesto, CA you can see a few loose cars of what are likely inbound raw materials. That could certainly be a bit of traffic for the L&C.

https://goo.gl/maps/WHocfiFqvK8n69aVA

Outbound shipments are likely to roll out in domestic and international shipping containers, which in all likelihood will find their way to Class 1 intermodal facilities, if they see rail at all given the shorter shipping distances in the East.

I agree, though-- good news for a region that watched a huge chunk of its manufacturing jobs disappear over the past few decades.

BTW, those tracks you see all around the winery are none other than the classic Modesto & Empire Traction shortline...

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator

Last edited by ShortlinesUSA; 05-08-2021 at 05:31 PM.
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:18 AM   #54
ShortlinesUSA

One thing further I have learned about Gallo's shipping-- they do ship outbound product in Cryogenic boxcars. Some of these wind up on the Reading & Northern's flagship "North Reading Fast Freight" that is popular with photographers. Just search "NRFF" on the photo homepage and you'll find plenty of shots of it.

Those cars are bound for a distribution center in Scranton, PA. R&N receives the majority of its interchange from NS. I could see an NS haul from the L&C up to the R&N (with strong shortline partners in both of these companies) being long enough with high-value traffic to garner NS' interest.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:55 PM   #55
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

That's interesting, Michael. It would be interesting to see reefers on the L&C. It looks like they may be abut t bring in earth moving machinery to start grading where Gallo will go in. The first part of the project is supposed to be done in 10/22. Meanwhile, they are still replacing ties on the L&C and i guess the new rail is coming next.