Old 08-17-2021, 03:23 AM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Color rendition on RP

Curious as to what everyone is seeing when they view this Amtrak NEC photo I had posted on August 10th.

On my desktop - looks great. But I noticed on my Samsung cell phone, it looks different. The last time I had such an issue was when I forgot to change profiles in Lightroom which seems to default to PROPhoto RGB. I convert all my files as need to sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

Anyway - as intended, and viewed on my desktop, the halo around the Sun is YELLOW, as is the glint on the tracks.

On my Samsung Galaxy the halo is ORANGE, as is the glint on the tracks in the background.

So - what are you seeing?
And why would the images be different? No issues with other images posted.

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 779088
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

/Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMTK 648 CWH SS LR.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	9917  
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 03:25 AM   #2
Mgoldman

Arg - I was hoping the embedded image would appear as it should with the link looking different, but they both look identical . Yellow on my desktop and orange on my cell phone.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 08-17-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
ATSF666

They look the same to me on my color profiled monitor.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #4
vcode455

I have 3 monitors and they all look slightly different. It's probably just the way the phone and computer process the image. You really have to calibrate them I guess.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:08 AM   #5
Decapod401

The images look orange on my iPhone and my laptop - I haven't checked on my calibrated monitor, which is usually slightly different. Maybe your monitor has an issue.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:28 AM   #6
Mgoldman

It's odd as all the photos I have been posting look identical on my desktop as they do on my Samsung Galaxy cell phone with this one photo being the exception. The last time this happened, I discovered that my Adobe color profiles were defaulting to PROPhoto RGB in Lightroom and needed to be converted back to Adobe sRGB IEC61966-2.1. This is a step I did not have to take when processing directly in Photoshop vs opening in Lightroom first.

So - I just took a photo of the photos as seen on my cell (left) and monitor (right). I hate to conclude most are seeing the orange tinged shot : (

Wonder if any other pics slipped through - but what's everyone seeing on this shot? Any why the difference, when previous shots look the same, desktop vs cell phone? Thought it was the profile, but it is not.

/Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RM MG DT SS.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	9918  

Last edited by Mgoldman; 08-19-2021 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:43 AM   #7
Mgoldman

Seems everything is a bit more "colorful" on my Samsung, specifically in the warmth and orange tinge, but the difference apparently is much more pronounced with warmer scenes. Proportional, even - a little warm = a little bit warmer, but a lot warm = almost over the top too warm. My Strasburg shots taken after sunrise and before sunset all look identical, but the shots inside the museum are slightly warmer. The Amtrak sunset shot - looking into the Sun, well....

I'm sure my cell phone is going way overboard - so now, do I post for other people's cell phones, or other people's NORMAL profile / flat desktop screens. Ugh. Desktop matches my prints and what I send to magazines (been a while). But I assume most people view on their cell phones.

Still curious what most are seeing? Orange or yellow version?

/Mitch
Old 08-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
KevinM

Isn't it annoying when the same image looks different on every screen you use to view it? It's especially annoying when it looks different on a color-calibrated display than it does on an IPad or IPhone. I always thought Apple's screens were supposed to be the best.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:08 AM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post

Still curious what most are seeing? Orange or yellow version?

/Mitch
After seeing the Samsung vs monitor, I would say the I see the yellow version on my laptop, calibrated monitor, and iPhone. Maybe it's time to dump the Samsung.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
KevinM

Hi Mitch,

I will try to look at the image on a calibrated display tonight. As I look at it on my work laptop, my IPad and my phone.....which is also a Samsung Galaxy variant (5G), the halo around the sun is brilliant yellow, tapering to a more orange color as you get further from the center. But the sky surrounding it does not have that saturated, tangerine color that I see in the phone image you posted. My phone screen looks very similar to all of the other displays I have. I likely have a newer version of the Galaxy, as I have only had the thing for 3 months.

It is annoying when you process an image on a calibrated screen.....and then find that it doesn't look good on IPads and phones, which I suspect a lot of people use these days. Maybe it doesn't matter. When people look at a picture on a phone, it would have to look pretty bad before most people would notice.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:49 AM   #11
KevinM

Hi Mitch,

Now looking at the images on a calibrated display, they look very similar to what I see on my phone and on my IPad, which is to say that the halo is yellow near the sun and tapers to orange as you get away from it. I also do not see the deeper, saturated orange in the sky that appears on the image of your cell phone. The biggest differences that I typically see between all of my displays are slight differences in brightness and contrast.

Interestingly, my own images look great to me on this calibrated monitor in Lightroom, but when I look at them on RP using the same monitor, they look slightly darker and muddier. That effect is not present when viewing RP on my phone or IPad. Go figure!

My RP stuff is here.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #12
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
After seeing the Samsung vs monitor, I would say the I see the yellow version on my laptop, calibrated monitor, and iPhone. Maybe it's time to dump the Samsung.
I think you're right - but for other reasons.

As for the color shift - I figured it out. My error - I forgot I had the phone set to remove the blue light for less eye strain. For the most part, the effect on the majority of images is negligible, but for extremes, as I said, it becomes a much bigger issue.

/Mitch