Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Niles

Default Side shot explanatation

Good afternoon. I have a question regarding the rejection of this shot an similar ones I have uploaded. It was rejected for bad cropping. I have some examples of similar shots that were accepted (1) and (2) . I am just trying to understand how I can take side shots the will be accepted. I can understand that with the backgrounds in the two accepted are nicer then mine but other then that I don't see a difference. I want to add that I am not saying that my photo should be accepted on the bases that the other two were, I just want to know how I can improve my side shots. Thanks for your help.
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
JimThias

Two HUGE differences between the two images you used as an example and your picture: lighting and composition. The first one, the lighting is great and the composition is good. The second one, the lighting on the train isn't the greatest, but the composition is very good.

Your photo lacks both composition AND good side lighting. There's just nothing going on in that picture except a train across a very average looking field. IF the train were illuminated by morning or evening sunlight (ie: side of the train lit up), you might have a chance. But without excellent ligthing on this train, this image probably won't make it.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Ween

With this specific shot, the lighting is really poor on the train itself. The CN units are pretty much all in the dark; not sure if it's a backlight issue or high sun.

But for the cropping, the placement looks decent enough (1/3 line), but that's alot of sky for my tastes. Also, the fact that there are trees, shrubs, and grass blockng parts of the train don't help (that should fall more under the realm of Foreground Clutter or Bad Angle).

For side shots, it's best if there's something else in the shot besides foreground, train, and sky. The shots you linked to have that extra element that makes them stand out...
Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
Carl Becker

IMO, for a side shot, even a distant one, you should always shoot on the lighted side and leave a good amount of foreground in the shot. If the consist is something rather appealing, you can shoot just it and cut off the rest.

One of mine:

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 195747
Photograph © Carl Becker

If it's not anything great, try shooting both the consist and the first specific type of cars.

One of my dad's:

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 166836
Photograph © Louis Becker

If the train is rather short, fit it all in. Even slightly going-away shots work on occasion when like this.

One I picked from the DB that also has a really nice background:

Image © Mitch Wahlsten
PhotoID: 195151
Photograph © Mitch Wahlsten

Your rejected shot doesn't really fit in any of the categories I just went through. It's also shot on the dark side. I believe the bad cropping has to do with the fact that there is so much sky and so little ground showing, but it could probably also be rejected for being backlit and/or having an obstructed foreground. While the motive for the shot is good, the setting and cropping don't really work.

~Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
Good afternoon. I have a question regarding the rejection of this shot an similar ones I have uploaded. It was rejected for bad cropping. I have some examples of similar shots that were accepted (1) and (2) . I am just trying to understand how I can take side shots the will be accepted. I can understand that with the backgrounds in the two accepted are nicer then mine but other then that I don't see a difference. I want to add that I am not saying that my photo should be accepted on the bases that the other two were, I just want to know how I can improve my side shots. Thanks for your help.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
JimThias

Well, in that case, Carl, here's mine:

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 193232
Photograph © Jim Thias

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote