Old 10-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
stlgevo51

Default Similar to previous photo rejection

This photo got dinged for similar to previous photo. As far as I know, there isn't another shot like this in the data base, and I did submit another version of the photo that I recropped, but I didn't think resubmitting a changed photo could get you this rejection. Are they just trying to say that it still suffers from bad cropping? If so, how can I fix it, or should I let it go?
Same as previous: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1309480243
Bad cropping:http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=933109804
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

It looks like you should have gotten the uncorrected re-upload. I don't know if the screeners (can) view previous rejections simultaneously, but if I weren't looking at them both right now, I'd think the same thing. You DID change it, but not that much.

FWIW, everything of interest is at the bottom. If you have the quality to work with, I'd go with a horizontal crop, keeping the sides as you have them. Make sure that you keep the bottom of the switch stand.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
firemanbeetle

Default Too similar???

Don't feel bad. Look at the attached. At least one of these was accepted into the RP database.

At least one was rejected for being "too similar" to the other.

Without cheating, can you tell which photos are "too similar?"

I'll post the results later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TooSimilar.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	513.5 KB
ID:	4806  
firemanbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
Darryl Rule

This rejection is the one that confuses me most. I had a shot rejected last week taken 3 weeks apart and this time in the snow, and get rejected for similar to previous, all on the same day where 5 or 6 shots from the same location on the same day were accepted. Again, it goes back to consistency. Just like in baseball, even if the ump is horrible, as long as he is consistent players cut him some slack.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
firemanbeetle

My point exactly. Many of the photos posted above came right from the RP database. They were submitted and accepted, even though they could easily be used in a children's game of "find the difference in the photos." There is virtually no difference in the subject matter, location, lighting, etc.

Yet, others are rejected for being "too similar" when it's obvious that there are many differences.....different angle...different lighting.....etc.

As I've stated before in these forums, I can accept criticism, I can accept rejection. Heck, I've agreed with most of my rejections. But please hold the guys with the hyperlinks to their photo studios to the same standards that you hold the average photographer.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
firemanbeetle

By the way....in the photos above, one of the NS collision photos was rejected for being "too similar" to the other. All of the other similar pairs were accepted and are part of the RP database.

Does anyone else see fault in this?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanbeetle View Post
Don't feel bad. Look at the attached. At least one of these was accepted into the RP database.

At least one was rejected for being "too similar" to the other.

Without cheating, can you tell which photos are "too similar?"

I'll post the results later.
I don't quite understand your post above. Are ALL of the photos yours, or 1 yours, and 1 someone else's? If they are all yours, and you submitted the 'pairs' at, or close to the same time, this is the reason for the similar to previous boot.

You DO see a lot of 'similar' photos get through into the DB, especially from the different foamfest gatherings. Look at all of the SP4449 from July. I am actually quite surprised and impressed in the variety from last weekend's Western Maryland shoot.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
firemanbeetle

The NS collision is mine.

The others are from the RP database. I chose each pair because they were submitted on the same day, at the same time, yet they were accepted.....not rejected for being too similar.

Yet, my NS photos were rejected for being too similar. I don't get it.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
The NS collision is mine.

The others are from the RP database. I chose each pair because they were submitted on the same day, at the same time, yet they were accepted.....not rejected for being too similar.
I took a look at one pair, a place with which I am familiar, Point of Rocks MD. It turns out that the shots are of two different trains. Being shots of commuter trains, they look essentially similar, one a vert, one a horizontal, submitted and accepted sequentially. And, as it happens, in each case the train has pretty much the same position with respect to the station. The photographer did move in between the shots, one is a bit more head-on with respect to the facing side of the station.

The "similar" rule generally applies to the same train, so not obvious how to treat this pair of shots. I agree that there is a lot of similarity between the shots despite their differing formats. But where does one draw the line? Especially, for example, for someone who goes to the same spot over and over and shoots Class 1 trains with the same sort of power. There are a number of shooters on RP whose stuff doesn't vary much (the PoR MARC shooter not being one of them). Should RP say no to their submissions?

So, at least in this one case, I agree with RP, different trains, different compositions, accept both. I also agree with you that there is a lot of similarity, but one should draw a line and I don't see how to draw a line that can be fairly implemented and exclude one of the MARC pair. And, were they not side-by-side, then one could more readily see their individual value.

PS: looking more closely, I see that in all the cases but the wreck and the CN shell, the images are of different trains. So, how to treat those? fmbeetle, you bring it up, it seems fair that we look to you for a counter-proposal, how to treat these, what should a new rule be? They are different trains.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 10-30-2009 at 03:34 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 AM   #10
stlgevo51

Thanks Kevin. I might do a horizontal crop. Unfortunately, my computer crashed and we lost everything. Hopefully we can get it all back. Luckily I still have this shot on my camera!

Last edited by stlgevo51; 10-31-2009 at 03:56 AM.
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
firemanbeetle

I agree, JRMDC. What if a person goes to the same spot and photographs similar trains under similar conditions? From what I can see, if the photographer is one of the pros with hundreds of photos on RP, they will be accepted. If the photog is some rookie....rejection.

In my case, my accepted photo was a top photo of the month. The "similar' photo was never seen by anyone but the screener.

And that's been my point the whole time. There's nothing wrong with the many similar photos that I attached above.....great photos. If you find a great location on a great day, what the heck is wrong with taking and submitting several photos? Just don't tell me that MINE are too similar while you accept THEIRS, even though theirs are so similar that you've got to do a double-take to find the differences.

I'm working on another collage like the one above.....poor color. What it will show is the same thing......the pros pics are accepted (and they should be!) while others are rejected, even though the color quality is as good as, or better, than the accepted from the pro. I'll have that in a day or two.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

You're setting up a straw man, firebeetle. You can prove about any point about the screeners here if you really tried hard enough. It wouldn't even have to be true. With the sheer number of photos they see, there's no way they could possibly catch every similiar to previous. Heck, I have 600 shots in the database and sometimes I forget what I've submitted. Once or twice, I've had a shot accepted and then clicked on either the road number or the railroad to see who else got shots of it. And what do I see? Not one of my photos that is similiar to the one accepted, but a photo that is exact to the one submitted. (An e-mail to the admin was sent both times and the new upload was taken down.)

One of the unwritten rules of RP (rules may be a harsh word for this) but one thng more people need to realize is that just because someone's photo was accepted doesn't mean your should be, no matter what the circumstance. (Or just because your shot was rejected, doesn't mean another shot by someone else should have been rejected.)
Old 10-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
firemanbeetle

Nobody expects the screeners to remember every shot they've ever seen. However, to make my point, the pairs that I've posted above were chosen because they were submitted by the photogs in pairs, on the same day. Do you mean to tell me that they (the screeeners) didn't see the resemblence ?

One of the replies above mentions that although the pairs seem similar, they are actually different trains. Well, I guess that's true. But then now many MK5000 shots from the exact same place, with the exact same lighting, with the only difference being the rolling stock behind the locos does it take before they are considered too similar?

Yet, conversly, my rejected "too similar" photos were posted over a week apart and were taken from two totally different angles. And the fact that the accepted one was a photo of the month, tells me that the interest was there. All I ask for is consistency.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
All I ask for is consistency.
The easiest screener decision is of a photo that is obviously great or obviously garbage.

The most difficult decision is the photo with quality in the middle.

Thus the line between acceptance and rejection is a fine, hazy, grey one that hops around.

Thus absolute consistency is ultimately impossible.

The think the screeners do, overall, a very good job.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote