Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
chasejsmith

Default Not sure where to go...

Okay, initially rejected for being unlevel. So fixed that.

Now apparently its overexposed. I don't see it, maybe someone could give me some insight.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...89&key=7422935

Thanks
Chase

Chase Smith

Railpictures.net Photos

Rail-Videos.net Videos
chasejsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi Chase,

I don't have a histogram here at work, but take a look at the histogram on your display to see if you have any highlight clipping. Most of the image looks OK on my tube, but there could be some clipping in reflections off the nose of the train, and that sky does look blown out to some degree.

Assuming you shot this in raw, this should be an easy fix and there are a number of things you could try:

- If the sky is indeed blown out, try the Recovery slider in ACR.
- Simply reducing the brightness slider a bit may also do the trick. If reducing brightness also kills the brightness of the subject too much, try adding some Fill Light.
- In curves, try reducing the light tones....not highlights...."Lights"
- If the above options fail, you may have to do some selective editing on the portions of the image that are too bright....using a Lightroom Adjustment Brush, or using Adjustment Layers in PS or PSE.

As I said, the first thing I saw that needed work was the sky.

Always use your histogram as a check on what you see visually. In Histogram We Trust!!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 02-21-2012 at 09:22 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Mgoldman

Chase

Surprisingly, the historgram is right on the spot. I was surprised to discover so as when I first opened the image full size the sky and catenary poles seemed over exposed. So - though we may "trust" in the histogram, RP accepts on aesthetics. If it "looks" good, it's good to go.

Owning Photoshop, the first thing I went to was levels and I discovered the histogram looked pretty good. Next quick fix was to go to shadows and highlights and recover some of the detail in the brightest areas - the sky, catenary poles and contrast in the brush.

I imagine simple burning would work as well - as wood a graduated neutral density filter on the camera.

Now - the next reject you *may* see would be cropping. The Acela looks a bit centered in the scene.

/Mitch

PS - When are the rest of the FB pics gonna make it over to RP? You've taken some really great shots in 2012 (and past).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chase OEPR.jpg (640.6 KB, 175 views)
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
chasejsmith

Kevin, Greatly appreciate the insight. I'll see what I can do with it.
Mitch, I see what you mean. I'm going to have to learn some more PS and venture away from Lightroom. I see what you're saying on the cropping too, and I agree.
In terms of the FB photos that you don't see here, many of them were tried and rejected. (No surprise there...)

Chase

Chase Smith

Railpictures.net Photos

Rail-Videos.net Videos
chasejsmith is offline   Reply With Quote